Anyone else excited about the iTablet / iSlate?

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been reading about the Apple iTablet (rumoured name) for what feels like years, it supposed to in the same vein as the Amazon Kindle but with far more bells and whistles.

I for one am really excited about the prospect of this, as it's not just an ebook reader, it (hopefully) will also function as a computer and entertainment system. I read a lot of comic books digitally and this would be a real treat for me. Some of the concept drawings (none officially by Apple) are really beautiful.

Apple are holding a press conference on January 27th and it's all but expect they will announce the iTablet then. It's rumoured to cost around $1000, which is quite steep but I am sure it will feature a plethora of features. I've got everything crossed.,

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There was a tech convention in Las Vegas recently and they featured it on one of the morning news programs. It looks exciting, but it's not for me. I have enough bells and whistles in my life right now. Oh got to go... the fire is ready for me to send smoke signals inviting my neighbor over for a drink.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Apple products would be far more exciting if they did not gouge you with their costs. I have been following tech happenings on the NYTimes website and I am not sure there is a market for this. It's basically a suped-up netbook (from the descriptions) and netbook sales waned once people realized they did no more than a smartphone and less than a notebook. What is the significant difference between this and a notebook?

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What is the significant difference between this and a notebook?
They're purrty. Tablet PCs aren't a new thing and the previous generations weren't the hot sellers they were predicted to be. Sure they're slim and sleek looking when you have them out for use but the size convenience evaporates when you put it away because you'll want to pad that delicate & expensive screen like a mofo from damage. At least with a netbook the screen is protected when it's closed.

Oh got to go... the fire is ready for me to send smoke signals inviting my neighbor over for a drink.
Is your smoke greyscale or have you upgraded to colour?

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What is the significant difference between this and a notebook?

Well, one of the rumored benefits is that you'll be able to surf and email using both built-in wifi and 3G (4G when available). So it combines the web accessibility advantages of both a laptop/netbook and a smartphone.

What may be a hindrance though is if it uses the iPod OS, which means apps-based rather than standard software programs-based. That would suck -- it would essentially be a 10" diagonal screen iPhone.

What would really suit me is something that folds open to have a decent, seamless screen, but would fit in a pocket when folded. Probably with a touchscreen keyboard as well as a port to attach a real keyboard if desired. It really would need all the best features of a smartphone and netbook all-in-one.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
is it really 10 inch I heard it was 7.5 there is a video on youtube discussing what it could be like. I guess we will see on Jan 27th press event.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Design wise I'm hoping its basically like a larger iPhone. Someone online described it as "iPhone meets a rolling pin" which I think worked well as a description.

For me, I am excited because it will combine a lot of my favourite things to do - read book / comics, watch movies, browse the net and own ridiculously expensive technology. It won't flat out replace my collection of books, but as the iPod changed music, I think the iTablet/Slate/Whatever will change personal entertainment.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm hoping for an iPhone/Kindle combo. The success is going to depend on the content Apple can provide for it. With the iTunes connection, that should be easy.

One interesting thing I read was that they want to partner with the publishers of textbooks and let students buy only the parts or chapters that their professors assign. They could sell bundles based on the lesson plans. I paid for a whole load of textbooks in my life both for myself an the kid. Some are nice to have, but....

They may sell bundles of tv programs as well.

I could replace my laptop with something like this.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, I am not excited at all. Tablets are nothing new; this is just one from Apple and therefore trendy. I hate the image of douchebaggy hipster elitism perpetuated in so many of their ads. I have other issues with them, but it's mostly their image.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well it's not either, it seems they called it the IPad. Starting at 499 well below what most were expecting. Comes with wifi and bluetooth but those wishing 3g will pay a bit more. Not all models will be available immediately. Strange how the storage is so small which makes them more like the ipod and iphone rather then a real computer. Comes with 16, 32 or 64 gigabytes of flash memory storage.The basic iPad models will cost $499, $599 and $699, depending on the storage size. They will be available in March and the 3g versions in April. 10 hour battery life but can sit a month on standby without a charge.