Anyone else excited about the iTablet / iSlate?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You may be right. But these things are actually amazing pieces of technology at a dirt cheap price. I once paid $900 for a 52mb hard drive and thought it was wonderful! I think we are all getting a bit jaded.

I wonder if Steve saw the finished product, was underwelmed, and said. "OK. we'll sell it cheap and that'll make up for the meh factor."?

I bet they had focus groups where they talked about how much you would spend on it. To keep it cheap they must have decided to skimp on the memory. As a Kindle replacement it's great, but I don't want to read books on a computer screen.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I bet they had focus groups where they talked about how much you would spend on it. To keep it cheap they must have decided to skimp on the memory. As a Kindle replacement it's great, but I don't want to read books on a computer screen.

SSD drives are still rather pricy on a consumer level once you go above 64 & 128GB thresholds. USB powered Flash drives at 32GB are still over $100 a pop from many vendors. I would have expected the prices for this technology to drop faster than it has been. Even though SSD is a far superior product to standard RPM Drives, it's still considered a prosumer/pro spec for most computer users. Personally I've been waiting for a 256GB SSD to get into a reasonable price range so I can revamp my MacBook Pro. There are videos showing machines booting up in 10 seconds and shutting down in 3 once the HD has been swapped. The nerd inside of me is DROOLING!

Luckily, iPhone/iPod apps are very minimal when it comes to the amount of space they take up on a HD so you can get away with using smaller storage sizes. Would still like to see one of these things break at least the 128GB marker and provide a full OS.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In a world where everything is constantly made smaller this new device just doesn't make sense. Unless there will be breaking news how these small devices cause excessive eye strain and are harmful. Wonder how much a subscription to the electronic New York Times will cost.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
First, check the I Miss Pee Wee thread.
Second, when my trusty Dell workhorse died I jumped ship and went back to a Mac, a MacBook Pro with the BIG screen. As Gillette pointed out, the iPad screen is so slick and nice I would worry about scratching the thing. Hence, the MacBook Pro may be a heavy junk of aluminum and I can't make local or long distance calls easily (although I use SKYPE), I use the MacBook as if it were an iPhone/iPad.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As for Flash? That's not going to happen since people can now use Flash to make full-on web applications. That goes completely against the sales model for Apple and the App Store, which really does suck. Hopefully Adobe & Apple can work out their differences on this one. Perhaps making a Flash Lite for iPhone or something.

Steve Jobs hates Adobe Flash. He says it's the #1 reason iMacs and MacBooks crash, and the folks at Adobe are too damned lazy to fix their product. Jobs said the reason iPods/iPhones don't run Flash, and iPads won't, is that he doesn't want hundreds of thousands of complaints about crashes. For his money, the bet's on HTML5. Look for that in Apple handhelds when it becomes available.

I personally have little interest in using it for much more than reading and web browsing.

Exactly. I was thinking about this the other day in my hotel room as I juggled back and forth between LPSG on my iPod (too small) and my PowerBook (too heavy), and I had a Goldilocks moment when I visualized LPSG.org on the iPad. Just right!

(OK, you LPSG videochatters may have to wait for iPad 2.x)

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Steve Jobs hates Adobe Flash. He says it's the #1 reason iMacs and MacBooks crash, and the folks at Adobe are too damned lazy to fix their product. Jobs said the reason iPods/iPhones don't run Flash, and iPads won't, is that he doesn't want hundreds of thousands of complaints about crashes. For his money, the bet's on HTML5. Look for that in Apple handhelds when it becomes available.

That's true to some degree. Flash can be pretty messy, and although the Flash Player has made it much easier for people to play multimedia it still can be problematic. Still, the severing ties between Adobe & Apple go much deeper than this. I remember many years ago when Adobe switched their business models and stated that their "preferred customers" were PC users. This was after many years of devotion to Apple for being the platform of choice for desktop publishing & graphic designers, back when Apple didn't have any real footing in the business and consumer markets. Before that, all of the newest Adobe products were always on Macs first. Now, it's anyone's guess as to what will happen. Even if Flash Player never surfaces on the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, there should at least be one commercially available app that can recognize and run the content if people choose to without having to go through some extensive hack. I'm still surprised that there isn't a VLC Player app for the iPhone, as that open source program even plays some Quicktime files with better results. It doesn't bog down my computers at all, and eliminates the need for downloading a lot of additional video codecs.

HTML 5 looks exciting, but I'm going to reserve judgement until they finish it. I've been an avid web junkie since 2.0, however, I don't always jump to the latest coding standards since some browsers still have problems recognizing tags from HTML 4. Plus, now with things like Wordpress it's almost irrelevant for most people to hand code an entire page from scratch.

Last edited: