Anyone else feel the Earthquake in the midwest today?

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was awake and thought it was my son falling out of bed again but it lasted a little longer and shook plates and stuff on our walls. He woke right up and was scared and wanted to crawl into bed with me. I just tucked him back in now I feel like an ass, the after shocks explain why he never went back to bed.

Were in Northern IL the earth quake was along the IL/IN border in the southeastern part of the state 5.2 I believe with 4.5 and less aftershocks starting about 4:35 AM this morning.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I felt it.

I was in a hotel in Overland Park, KS and felt the entire building sway like a high-rise in a strong wind. The pressure of the entire atmosphere seemed to pulse slowly for a few seconds, too. It was all very smooth and subtle, not jarring...but enormously powerful nonetheless.

There was no storm or high wind in the KC area, so I really had a WTF? moment...it wasn't until I started hearing the news reports later in the morning that I realized what I had felt.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I saw that on CNN, what did you all think it was? Have you read that there should be a big one in that area anytime?

um well not to freak anyone out, but the area is past due for a massive one.... there's a very deep ancient fault that lies along the mississippi river b/t st.louis and memphis.....as a matter of fact the earthquake today was on a fault that is a spur off of the faultline (called the new madrid fault) New Madrid earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia do a little research on it, and be aware.....kinda worried that the earthquake today will spawn off one on the nmfault...... my area would be devistated, not totally destroyed......i worry about my bro in memphis....as just about every structure in memphis and st. louis will be destroyed beyond repair.....oh and theres a fault running under charleston as well..... check it out nothing to be afraid of, but be aware

njreg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It woke me up at 5:30-ish, but I had no clue as to what it was. I thought maybe it was a strong gust of wind shaking the house. I heard on the radio on the drive to work what it was.

Turns out that the epicenter was about 60 miles from where my parents live, so I had to call them to make sure everything was okay. It was, thank God. They both thought the other had gotten out of bed for a middle of the night bathroom run and had fallen. No damage to person, house or other buildings on their land, fortunately.

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I felt the one in 2002 also, just feels like things shake underneath you which is normal when you have balance issues so i chalked this one up to just feeling like normal me and the noise to thinking my son fell out of bed which shakes the whole house. I felt the aftershocks but didn't know exactly what it was until I heard officially later in the day. I did think earthquake to myself this morning but thought.....nah I'm just imagining it. But this is only the second one in my lifetime in the midwest it's not a common occurance here.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
um well not to freak anyone out, but the area is past due for a massive one.... there's a very deep ancient fault that lies along the mississippi river b/t st.louis and memphis.....as a matter of fact the earthquake today was on a fault that is a spur off of the faultline (called the new madrid fault) New Madrid earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia do a little research on it, and be aware.....kinda worried that the earthquake today will spawn off one on the nmfault...... my area would be devistated, not totally destroyed......i worry about my bro in memphis....as just about every structure in memphis and st. louis will be destroyed beyond repair.....oh and theres a fault running under charleston as well..... check it out nothing to be afraid of, but be aware

I thought about this when I heard about it on the news this morning. It's troubling because I have to imagine the earthquake-resistance standards wrt construction in the midwest are nothing like what we have in CA... and even those are for the most part theoretical and/or only safe up to a certain magnitude.

I didn't realize the New Madrid earthquakes 200 years ago are estimated to have been an 8 :eek:. I can't even imagine what that would feel like. The strongest I've ever experienced was a 6.9 in Mexico and that was batshit insane.

Hopefully all our midwestern members are damage-free. :smile:

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
earthquake in the midwest? you guys are funny, that was just me takin care of some morning wood...it shakes the ground

Reallyonlyme

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nope, didn't feel a thing...

Then again I'm over in the East...

... of London, UK!

Actually we had one a couple of months ago (you don't need to be on a plate edge to get a rumble it appears). There were people on the news saying how they were awoken by things flying out of cupboards at 2am... I was only 20 miles from them, and awake at the time, didn't feel a damn thing! Some people will say anything to get on TV!

Anyway, hope everyone's okay... Best not to put any delicate items up on the shelves again quite yet.

Hmmm... I wonder if it was a hint to the Pope or Gordon Brown?

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I thought about this when I heard about it on the news this morning. It's troubling because I have to imagine the earthquake-resistance standards wrt construction in the midwest are nothing like what we have in CA... and even those are for the most part theoretical and/or only safe up to a certain magnitude.

I didn't realize the New Madrid earthquakes 200 years ago are estimated to have been an 8 :eek:. I can't even imagine what that would feel like. The strongest I've ever experienced was a 6.9 in Mexico and that was batshit insane.

Hopefully all our midwestern members are damage-free. :smile:

Yes like I said....scary. And no, older cities along the fault line or lets say w/i a 300 mile radius, are doomed... (not trying to be overdramatic or anything). Most buildings are brick, and brick has no give to it. Thus the tall buildings in (using the 2 largest cities on the fault line) memphis of st. louis are destined to be left in ruins unless properly retrofitted. If my memory serves me well, I believe that any tall building in memphis, that was constructed before the 1970's has not been adequately build to with stand much more than a 4-5 magnitude earthquake (a mild to moderate one). I saw a program not to long ago on the History channel or one of the Discovery channels, that did a simulation of what would happen in the event of an earthquake similar to the 1811-1812 New Madrid, and well it would make Hurricane Katrina look like a pussy. A national (economic) catastrophe, due to memphis and its position as the transportation/shipping capital of the us (interstate) (memphis is the largest inland port in the us, and due to Ups and Fedex both being headquartered in memphis. Sorry to go on about this, but it is a subject near and dear to my heart. I've actually made a stop in the town of New Madrid, Mo and visited the museum, and bought a book written by two professors at a college in near by Cape Geradieux (i think). I'll say this and the shut up. If you happen to be driving on I-55 b/t memphis and st.louis (primairly in Mo) look around at the surrounding land. You will see huge patches of sand in the middle of green fields and pastures. All sorts of thing that you can see that are evidence of the previous earthquakes. Also, during the 1811-1812 earthquakes, the Mississippi river was reveresed, and Reelfoot lake was created.