Anyone else have a high metabolism?

Curiosity999

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm probably a rare breed. I'm a skinny girl but would really like to be curvier and have more meat on my bones. I'm 5'3 105 pounds, but would like to be 120-130. I've tried shakes, I've tried not going to the gym for a period of time( I really need exercise as it makes me feel good mentally and physically) and can't gain weight!! Suggestions?

overly_straight

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The fast/slow metabolism thing is mostly a myth. People with similar height, weight and build differ by only +/- 300 calories per day. Believe it or not, bigger people actually have faster metabolisms than you - if they don't eat enough to maintain their weight, they'll lose it.

What does differ among people massively is appetite! "Fast metabolism" people just eat less, and "slow metabolism" people underestimate how much they're packing in each day. Appetite levels may be genetic as well as environmental.

I'm like you, I find it hard to gain weight and that's because it involves eating a lot. The best thing to do is figure out your TDEE (there are calculators online) and try to eat more than that - that's the tricky part, you'll feel like you're stuffing yourself. You should also lift weights and eat enough protein to build muscle (e.g. 1g per 1lb you weigh).

Good luck!

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
What does your current diet look like? The first step to changing your weight (in either direction) is to get a clear picture of your actual caloric intake. There are little things you can tweak in your day to day that may not be enough to make a change on their own... But can add up when you do a few. Adding healthy fats into your cooking can up your calories without you noticing a difference in how much you're eating at all. Add that to a carb or gainer shake, slightly larger portions, and an extra snack or two a day and you may see changes you like.
I've learned a LOT about nutrition in regard to weight loss AND gain over the past few years... And my advice to anyone looking to change their body is always "don't change anything... Yet. Just start writing down everything you eat and drink. Figure out the calories/macros... Figure out your BMR... And go from there."

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The fast/slow metabolism thing is mostly a myth. People with similar height, weight and build differ by only +/- 300 calories per day. Believe it or not, bigger people actually have faster metabolisms than you - if they don't eat enough to maintain their weight, they'll lose it.

What does differ among people massively is appetite! "Fast metabolism" people just eat less, and "slow metabolism" people underestimate how much they're packing in each day. Appetite levels may be genetic as well as environmental.

very interesting, thanks for that
knew i would eventually come across something of interest to me and what i have experienced an entire lifetime with
exactly this has happened with me, i have been around 170lbs/77 odd kilos since age 18 odd,of decent Polynesian natural physique
have worked hard physically in a commercial outdoors environment consumed food accordingly/desk type work from a 30 yo so adjusted food intake/now retired and eat a lot less but more of quality
guts of it all, have maintained the aforementionmed weight thruout ..
apart from the usual teen angst to 'build yourself up' have never needed to do/work at such, fortunate in that respect i geuss ..

sophomore19

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
There is absolutely such a thing as different rates of metabolism in different people. Especially in the kind of macronutrients one person metabolizes vs. others.

You are, Curiosity999, in the bodybuilding world, is known as a "hard gainer." Hard gainers can eat and eat and eat and never put on an ounce of muscle or fat. The only way to beat this is to eat (as was stated above) a ton of protein, carbs, and good fats. the portion of which you do this depends on you, usually 40/40/20.

Also, eliminate cardio. Many women go to the gym and spend their time on the treadmill and elliptical. To really gain weight and "curves," and not the jiggly cellulite kind, you need to LIFT WEIGHTS. The big compound lifts especially, like deadlifts and squats. You won't get bulky or masculine looking, as so many women think. You'll feel great, and with the right diet, you'll put on muscle in no time! PM me if you have any other questions.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
There is absolutely such a thing as different rates of metabolism in different people. Especially in the kind of macronutrients one person metabolizes vs. others.

You are, Curiosity999, in the bodybuilding world, is known as a "hard gainer." Hard gainers can eat and eat and eat and never put on an ounce of muscle or fat. The only way to beat this is to eat (as was stated above) a ton of protein, carbs, and good fats. the portion of which you do this depends on you, usually 40/40/20.

Also, eliminate cardio. Many women go to the gym and spend their time on the treadmill and elliptical. To really gain weight and "curves," and not the jiggly cellulite kind, you need to LIFT WEIGHTS. The big compound lifts especially, like deadlifts and squats. You won't get bulky or masculine looking, as so many women think. You'll feel great, and with the right diet, you'll put on muscle in no time! PM me if you have any other questions.

Completely agree about lifting. 150%

I proooomise you won't look manly... Especially since you're a hard gainer.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I agree.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I appear to be hard gainer too.

I'm on 4 meat/fish meals a day and just can't seem to increase my weight. I'm changing shape through my gym work but not really gaining weight...

Are you keeping track of your macros?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When we were barely legal, my best friend and I would smoke pot. In addition to her three regular meals of mostly meat (having grown up vegan against her will, once we were grown she was making up for lost time with meat) , she would munchies binge on donuts dipped in heavy cream, whole bags of chips, Crave Cases at White Castle, you name it. I would eat with her, and put on weight. She would stay the same, and then initially lose a little weight if we went a long stretch without smoking pot. She also lost weight every time she was ill.

I remember another girl I used to know would lose several pounds every time we went skiing.

Me? I can log 30k steps and 50 flights of stairs on my fitbit, get a full nights sleep do yoga, resistance and play Zumba or jog, but if I put more than 1800 calories into my body on a regular basis, I can watch my belly expand.

Last edited:

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What does your current diet look like? The first step to changing your weight (in either direction) is to get a clear picture of your actual caloric intake. There are little things you can tweak in your day to day that may not be enough to make a change on their own... But can add up when you do a few. Adding healthy fats into your cooking can up your calories without you noticing a difference in how much you're eating at all. Add that to a carb or gainer shake, slightly larger portions, and an extra snack or two a day and you may see changes you like.
I've learned a LOT about nutrition in regard to weight loss AND gain over the past few years... And my advice to anyone looking to change their body is always "don't change anything... Yet. Just start writing down everything you eat and drink. Figure out the calories/macros... Figure out your BMR... And go from there."

good advice

Curiosity999

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for the tips. I only eat two meals a day but they are big. I'm not a breakfast person but I'll have two cups of coffee before work, eat a big chicken salad , leftovers ( usually pasta or casserole) and the same for dinner. I get full quick, and sometimes I have to make myself snack. Even when I've tried to eat more, no change. I do 20 minutes of kettle bells, and 20 min of cardio.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Thanks for the tips. I only eat two meals a day but they are big. I'm not a breakfast person but I'll have two cups of coffee before work, eat a big chicken salad , leftovers ( usually pasta or casserole) and the same for dinner. I get full quick, and sometimes I have to make myself snack. Even when I've tried to eat more, no change. I do 20 minutes of kettle bells, and 20 min of cardio.

Unfortunately, changing your body often requires doing things you don't particularly enjoy.

2 meals a day isn't gonna cut it. Hard gainers have to be dedicated to putting on quality weight. That means making SURE you get enough calories in every day. Eating breakfast is probably gonna have to happen if you really want to make a change.

If it were easy... Everyone would do it. True story.

40InchBooty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I really don't know how my body reacts to diet and exercise. I eat way less than I should and being active normally; walking, working, my waist is 30" which is small for a guy I think - the average being around 34" I think.

I'd say I have a "strong" shape but I'm not bulky and over the years I've gained muscle somehow without working out. My arms have gone up from 12" to 13" without lifting weights unless working has done that and my very large glutes have always been like this which is maintained by walking. A combination of a calorie intake of around 1000-1500 daily (no joke) plus just living daily life has given me a body weight of around 8%

When I do eat I get hungry again very quickly.

Matt_x

Legendary Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I had success with Cytogainer protein shakes.... approximately gained 10-15 lbs with whole milk. Eating 3 meals is essential for your body especially not skipping breakfast. Try having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and in between snacks try to incorporate eating fruits and or natural nuts.