Anyone else obsessing over the SCOTUS arguments with Mississippi?

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Most of you know I drive a fair bit in my job. This means NPR or comedy channel.
NPR is covering the arguments, and it’s just too much….and I used to cover cops and courts!

my mood and outlook are so dark.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I've been avoiding all of it.

I had to step back. Especially with my current and permanent circumstances with reproduction, I had to just give myself space.

I will always support and fight for the rights of my fellow woman... But sometimes I have to give myself room to grieve and heal. I'm still pretty heavily in the middle of that process.

So, I haven't been following the happenings with SCOTUS in relation to reproductive rights.

I'm very grateful that I don't have to worry about decisions being made for me anymore, but I'm also heartbroken. Probably always will be.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The way I see it, the good news is since a SCOTUS decision won't be till next June it gives pro-choice groups time to organize and draw attention to the threat. The bad news is given the authoritarian make-up of the court, I'm not very hopefully it will make a difference. All while Biden and democrats dither over expanding SCOTUS and allow themselves to be held hostage by President Manchin and Vice President Sinema.

So, while I personally wish I could believe that that human rights will prevail and Roe V. Wade will survive, I'm honestly not hopeful and just glad in a way I never had daughters, given the backwards, fucked up, anti-women, far-right country they'd be subjected to.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
For anyone thinking I’m not affected(I’m not anymore, for example)/my kids were boys/we are gay, remember this, women’s rights ARE human rights.
abortion access is as important as the rights of girls and trans girls competing in school sports.
We need strong allies now more than ever. Handmaid’s Tale should not be prophesy.

In good news, my state is working to enshrine this right in our state constitution.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We're all doomed. Qanon people are running the government. Ass-backward, science denying, rights denying, God-Gund-Oppression ass biscuits, while not the majority, with stall, obstruct and cheat to achieve their White Is Al(t)l Right/Jesus Loves the Fetus agenda advanced.

Why? Cuz people fucking suck.

I am a human (reluctantly) who values the dignity and autonomy of other human. Stripping away of basic human rights and self determination will be set dead in my lap.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know a country is fucked when there is a large, united group that looks down on intelligence.

"I don't never needed no library." Well, it's obvious that you do.

"I ain't got no use for a museum." That goes without saying.

"You must think you're pretty smart with that college degree." Intelligence doesn't come from college.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You can't force me to vaccinate even if it kills someone else! MY liberty is PARAMOUNT!

You must carry out this pregnancy so you don't kill someone else! Your liberty isn't paramount!

I've actually told that to a woman within the last year. I said "If you don't wear a mask then never tell me you're pro life because you ain't."

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Or any decent security net for parents, moms or dads.
the US mandates 12 weeks family medical leave, unpaid, and only the guarantee of a “similar” job upon return. This is for any medical issue. Childbirth/bonding, elder care, kid has cancer, etc etc. I have a friend with MS. Her son blows through FMLA in day increments in six months.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Reactions: Scarletbegonia

cooldude101

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm NOT American, nor do I reside in the US. I'm male (straight as an arrow), and I've never gotten any women pregnant.

I believe in women's rights to divorce, but I disagree that Tax Payers should pay for it. I believe women shld hv access to birth control, if it's standard OCP, shld be made free like condoms at family planning centres. Special drugs like morning after, the insurance companies or employer provides benefit, they shld hv the right to decide whether it's covered, not the consumer (woman in question), as there are already plenty of options covered, but they CHOOSE and OPTED not to practice or exercise that, they shldnt force others to provide for them. It's a Willing Seller, Willing Buyer situation.

I DISAGREE with abortion rights Right Up to contraction, I feel, in my uneducated opinion, middle of 2nd Trimester should be the cut off point, barring legal medical reasoning.

So, HATE ME ALL YOU WANT, but it has to make sense.

Reactions: deleted13888921

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I'm NOT American, nor do I reside in the US. I'm male (straight as an arrow), and I've never gotten any women pregnant.

I believe in women's rights to divorce, but I disagree that Tax Payers should pay for it. I believe women shld hv access to birth control, if it's standard OCP, shld be made free like condoms at family planning centres. Special drugs like morning after, the insurance companies or employer provides benefit, they shld hv the right to decide whether it's covered, not the consumer (woman in question), as there are already plenty of options covered, but they CHOOSE and OPTED not to practice or exercise that, they shldnt force others to provide for them. It's a Willing Seller, Willing Buyer situation.

I DISAGREE with abortion rights Right Up to contraction, I feel, in my uneducated opinion, middle of 2nd Trimester should be the cut off point, barring legal medical reasoning.

So, HATE ME ALL YOU WANT, but it has to make sense.
Where are you that a woman’s right to seek a divorce (which is nowhere near the topic) is impinged?

Prescription coverage should not discriminate on the basis of gender. Refusing coverage on birth control does exactly that. And it cranks up costs for the insured pool by creating more maternal costs. Bad for the market.
We also have freedom of religion, and a limit to how much control employers may have over workers. If we unionized retail, the Hobby Lobby case would never have gotten out of Oklahoma.

Roe uses “fetal viability” as a benchmark. Casey moved that back to 20 weeks.
NO ONE uses third trimester as birth control. It’s for pregnancies that have gone horribly wrong. In many the fetus is dead, and it’s an alternative to carving up a woman with a C-section for a stillborn.

Hate you? Don’t know you. But what you expressed here shows me you do not think very deeply.

Last edited: