Anyone else think Sex Change operations are wrong?

B_just8inches

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's basically genital mutilation, and they say that over half of the patients regret doing it. Just as I think ANY ELECTIVE SURGERY (aside from perhaps orthodontics) is wrong, stupid, wasteful, and mostly a cop out.

I am not predjudice in the least, let transvestites, or whatever the appropriate terms are, by all means they should dress and look how ever they want. But spending 50k on some retarded, disgusting elective surgery? That's just dumb.

lucidbass

Experimental Member
Media
Even if it is dumb, people are allowed to be dumb. I don't care.

A few years ago I wasn't morally opposed to it as much as.. personally questioning it, thinking to myself that 'isn't it better to accept your body for what it is, rather than to change it with invasive surgery?' But transgender people are physically born with the brain of one sex and the body of the other. So if they feel that changing their body makes them happier and it's impossible to accept it for what it is, they can go ahead as far as I'm concerned. If half of them don't like it afterwards then that's their problem, not mine. I'm not gonna tell people how to spend their cash.

fun21

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd love to know what it feels like to have a vag... but I love my dick way too much. Idk... I think its a bit much, I wish I was a lil bit taller too, but I personally don't think it warrants changing who I am physically through invasive surgery.

Don't think it's wrong as such - but pretty drastic unless people are completely sure.

I don't see it as an especially good idea, but I haven't been in a position where I've felt I needed one, so I guess I'm not qualified to say. :p

This should prolly be in Etc rather than Politics, tho.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
To answer the OP -NO, it`s not wrong!
Don't think it's wrong as such - but pretty drastic unless people are completely sure.

I don't see it as an especially good idea, but I haven't been in a position where I've felt I needed one, so I guess I'm not qualified to say. :p

This should prolly be in Etc rather than Politics, tho.
You`d make such a beautiful woman, Joll! With those doggy eyes, you could rule the world! :biggrin1:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It would be wrong for me because I'm happy who I am. But I can't speak for the countless people who have lived unfulfilled, unhappy lives and if the choice (which is a major one BTW) allows someone to live the life that allows them peace of mind and happiness; who is anyone else to judge?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
To the OP would you please post a link to your facts that half the patients had regrets. I would like to read further. I was able to find very little other than that the reported 68% - 86% overall success rates for sex reassignment surgery must be viewed cautiously; the lack of long-term follow-up studies makes these statistics misleading.

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I find it a little sickening that people are comparing gender identification issues with wanting to be a little bit taller...

I know someone going through this, and I can't even begin to imagine the mental torture of believing with every fibre of your being that you're one thing, and looking down to see you're something else.

It isn't about wanting to look different or wanting to cross dress, it's about wanting to be yourself, who you are at the very core. They can't just throw on a dress and stuff a bra with a pair of socks and suddenly feel happy with themselves.

What you're asking is that these individuals ignore the emotional and mental side of things and deal solely with what is on the outside. It simply doesn't work like that.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's basically genital mutilation, and they say that over half of the patients regret doing it. Just as I think ANY ELECTIVE SURGERY (aside from perhaps orthodontics) is wrong, stupid, wasteful, and mostly a cop out.

I am not predjudice in the least, let transvestites, or whatever the appropriate terms are, by all means they should dress and look how ever they want. But spending 50k on some retarded, disgusting elective surgery? That's just dumb.

So calling people who choose gender reassignment, retarded and disgusting is not prejudiced? I think you are very judjemental. What the fuck does it matter to you, what other people do with their bodies and how they choose to live their lives.

I don't ususally respond to trolls, but just in case you are simply some ignorant, uneducated bogan. Get your own life in order and show some compassion for those who are doing the best they can to live a life of truthfulness and seeking hapiness.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it's their choice and more power to them if it's they want .... just like it's my choice to be a mean cranky witch ;p

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it's their choice and more power to them if it's they want .... just like it's my choice to be a mean cranky witch ;p
Like I told you before, it's comments like that that justify dropping Kansas farmhouses on you, or even having some pigtailed brat with a feisty mutt pitch some nasty rotten castle water on ya.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Like I told you before, it's comments like that that justify dropping Kansas farmhouses on you, or even having some pigtailed brat with a feisty mutt pitch some nasty rotten castle water on ya.

Heathen .... fear my army of flying monkeys and fruit bats ( budget is a little tight and they work for the odd fig newton ):tongue::tongue::tongue::biggrin1:

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Heathen .... fear my army of flying monkeys and fruit bats ( budget is a little tight and they work for the odd fig newton ):tongue::tongue::tongue::biggrin1:
Dontcha worry; I got me mini-gun stocked with wing monkey piercing rounds, that and grub bait to let them land so they'll be easier to shoot.lol:biggrin:

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media

You're right. No sign of prejudice anywhere about you.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Gender reassignment surgery is no joke, and it's more involved that having your tonsils removed. Qualified patients are assigned a team of caregivers, including psychiatrists, therapists, peer counselors in addition to a GP and a surgeon. The process begins with hormone therapy and counseling years before anyone wields a scalpel.

I am personally acquainted to at least two M2Fs and one F2M and have yet to hear any regrets (admittedly a small sampling). What I have heard, in every case, is that something has been "fixed", correcting a fundamental flaw from when they were still in the womb. Far from being stupid, they are, perhaps, the bravest souls I know.

As far as it's being a "choice": the only choice they had was to remain miserable in a body which they never felt was truly theirs or to do something about it. The transgendered are, after all, the "T" in LGBT, a group which, to my reckoning, makes up more than half of its membership.

One last thing as regards regretting having surgery performed: Google "phalloplasty"; the one F2M in my acquaintance has ruled out any such procedure. It's possible that the regrets expressed (though nothing as high as the OP quotes without a corresponding link to a peer-reviewed scientific document) refers at in part to those. They are many things, but they are not really functional penises.