Anyone ever been burgled?

chris6092

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I only ask because it happened to me recently. The bastards took my whole window out when I was at work. They pinched 2 cameras,my xbox360, games,DVDS etc. then they had the cheek to come back a few days later and do my neighbours over as well.

Surprisingly the police caught them through fingerprints etc. They were stupid enough not to wear gloves and left their dabs all over my plasma TV.

I am keeping it in perspective though...it's just stuff.Nobody died. More inconvenience than tragedy.

Anyone else been had too?

Chris

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Had the family Van stolen twice, got it back the first time with minor damage, second time, stripped naked outside of the Border Check Point. Still see "red" when I think about it.

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yup, it's happened--twice. Lost various items which were never recovered.

The worst is the feeling of personal space violation knowing their filthy hands touched anything and everything.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes and no. My office at work was burgled once. At the time, I was a music teacher, and the stole several instruments and my sound system. All of it was my personal stuff, not owned by the district, and not covered by their insurance.

After an ugly "parting of ways," an ex-roommate broke into my house, and allowed her thug drug-dealer friends to ransack my stuff and take whatever they wanted.

burns1de

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Same thing happened to me last year - the son of a bitch came back a month later to finish the job, too. So I got robbed twice in a month, which sucks fucking ass. He went for the electronics, too - Playstation Portable, laptop (which I hadn't finished paying), all my DVDs (except my entire X-Files collection - was probably too much to carry), my CDs, etc etc. Police didn't do shit, didn't take prints, anything. Useless bastards.

Of course, like the colossal moron that I am, I had no insurance. I sure learned from THAT mistake, at least.

I have to agree with Onslow - the worst part was the invasion of privacy, knowning that my ins and outs were watched, etc. So yeah, I feel your pain, man.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I only ask because it happened to me recently. The bastards took my whole window out when I was at work. They pinched 2 cameras,my xbox360, games,DVDS etc. then they had the cheek to come back a few days later and do my neighbours over as well.

Surprisingly the police caught them through fingerprints etc. They were stupid enough not to wear gloves and left their dabs all over my plasma TV.

I am keeping it in perspective though...it's just stuff.Nobody died. More inconvenience than tragedy.

Anyone else been had too?

Chris

Yes. Twice. The second time I was home, asleep in bed. He rifled through my office, stole my suede coat (?) and took the 40 bucks out of my wallet. My ex came home and met him on the stairs. Mistakenly thinking he was (ironically) the locksmith who was scheduled to change our door locks, he saw him out the door, walked upstairs, awakened me, and asked why the locksmith was wandering around the house. The intruder had also been wearing gloves. Filed a police report but little could be done without fingerprints.

Two months later the police called. The intruder died of a heroin overdose. His landlord found him dead in his apartment and called the police, fearing foul play. They found my coat with my student ID in his apartment.

This is one of the reasons why i'm a dog owner now.

chris6092

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know what you all mean. I live in a ground floor flat right next to a busy cycle path so they were out of my window and away with the loot before you knew it.

I now hide things around the flat in bizarre places. My cheque books are in my trainers, the computer is under the kitchen sink when I go out etc....

Great ideas for hiding stuff but only as long as you remember where you put everything.

On second thoughts...should I have just told you all that???:confused:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I've been fairly lucky.
The only major thing that was ever stolen was my complete camera kit ... two SLR bodies, a number of Nikkor lenses, filters, light meters, etc.
My fault, mostly. I was stupid enough to store it in the storage units of the apartment I was then living in.
A good half of the storage units were vandalized ... and we were pretty sure it was the caretaker, who acted suspiciously and turned out to have a coke habit.
When I saw so many storage units open -- and quickly saw that my camera bags were gone -- I went to find him.
I brought him back to inspect the damage, and his whole bearing, somehow, wordlessly, told me that he knew exactly what I was going to show him.
Of course, he did a Lawrence Olivier in trying to appear stunned and truly, truly sorry for all the losses that people suffered. But it sure didn't convince me.
Unfortunately, nothing could be proven.
A month later, he was fired for another theft in the building.
I had no insurance and there was considerable financial loss.
The greatest loss, though, was a camera my father had bought for me while he was studying down in the States -- and had mailed to me only a day or two before dying of a heart attack.
In other words, it was my last gift from my father -- received after I knew my father was dead.
So there was some real sentimental value attached.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
We had a security system installed, but don't anymore. We never bothered to even lock the doors till a few years ago when my cousin and his friends decided to break into one of their friends houses, and steal a bunch of stuff to pay off drugs. We now lock the doors all the time. I've heard of people being broken into, my dad has his wallet stolen by a friend of mine who lived down the road... we found the wallet cards and everything, minus the $40 cash in the ditch half way between the our houses...

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I had an odd robber. I'm still not sure if this was all done at once, or over a period of time, because they stole items I don't use regularly. I had my vibrator stolen, my camcorder, my Grey's Anatomy - 1st Season DVD stolen... anda few other oddball objects. They left the computer, the TV's, the playstation... only thing they took worth anything was the camcorder.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A friend of mine had his house broken into twice in the same week. A little over 200 bucks was stolen combining both times. Mostly money and weed. Me, him, and a bunch of our friends started kind of staking out his house. After three days the dumbasses came back. It was two guys. We popped out on them and started chasing them. Only caught one though. Never happened again after that. Didn't get anything back but we definately got revenge on one of the two. I also had someone try to rob me at gunpoint once but I didn't have anything on me.:cool: Guess I got lucky that day normally I have some money on me or something.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've had my mountain bike stolen twice. The first time some one called the police while they were sawing the cable and caught them red handed. They apparently do this for a living so they have been arrested about 20 times according to the police. Sad huh? The second time the thieves convinced a cop that my bike was actually stolen and it was rightfully theirs and that it was really abandoned. The cop cut the krytonite lock and gave my bike to them. I caught up with the cop and showed him my bike license and he went and got me a new bike. True story.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Many years ago I knew a young newlywed couple that had jewelry and electronics stolen. The burglar took their only copy of their wedding video. Scattered her underwear and personal items all about. They felt a horrible sense of violation.

The husband was still able to joke about being deeply insulted by the fact they left his stereo receiver behind.

Apartment insurance in the 80s covered it all with only a small deductible. Still, they moved shortly thereafter. It didn't feel right there after that.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Spring 1994 my car was broken into when I was an undergrad. I was at my museum internship. The jerk shattered the passenger side window, spraying glass everywhere. What kind of criminal doesn't own a slim jim?!?:mad: I had a $500 dollar deductible and the window cost $350 to replace.

My car radio was broken and I had a duffel bag containing about 2 dozen cassettes, a boom box, and a very expensive Minolta 35mm camera. The camera was on loan from my then boyfriend for my photo 1 class. You guessed it they took the duffel bag. Grrrrr.
My boy friend at the time was surprisingly cool about it.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Spring 1994 my car was broken into when I was an undergrad. I was at my museum internship. The jerk shattered the passenger side window, spraying glass everywhere. What kind of criminal doesn't own a slim jim?!?:mad: I had a $500 dollar deductible and the window cost $350 to replace.

My car radio was broken and I had a duffel bag containing about 2 dozen cassettes, a boom box, and a very expensive Minolta 35mm camera. The camera was on loan from my then boyfriend for my photo 1 class. You guessed it they took the duffel bag. Grrrrr.
My boy friend at the time was surprisingly cool about it.

Hopefully he really was cool about it, as opposed to acting cool about it and stewing inside, like I was. :tongue:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He was upset about the camera as it had been a high school graduation present.

I went to college in Jersey City. The museum where I did my internship was in a not pretty section of town, even by Jersey City, NJ standards. I tend to be oblivious to my surroundings and believe all people to be good and kind (like me) until they prove otherwise. He was just really glad I hadn't been mugged and beaten while carrying the duffel bag.

Hopefully he really was cool about it, as opposed to acting cool about it and stewing inside, like I was. :tongue:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My home was broken into via an open kitchen window two stories up. The burglars climbed a ladder and into it during broad daylight. Several items of cheap but sentimental jewelry were stolen, a wad of savings bonds, a firearm, petty cash, ....and.....some nude pix of me.