Anyone have an iPad?

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
499 for an extra large iphone that can't call, makes sense. At least it will stimulate the marketing of products people actually want.

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just played with one at Bestbuy.

Loved it for the ten minutes I was on it.

The guy told the battery life is 10 hours becasue it isn;t "flash" compatible and that if it were the battery life would only be 3 hours....maybe one you you techies could explain that better.

It really takes about 1100 to get the nice unit with the right accessories so you can really be good to go with one.

How does the wifi work? DO you have to get a subscritption or is it just free if you have a hot spot to go to?

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
499 for an extra large iphone that can't call, makes sense. At least it will stimulate the marketing of products people actually want.

I dunno about that Deno.

I would love to have one of those around me for catching up on the news or surfing the net when just passing the time. It's like a magazine with constantly updated reading material!

I can picture it laid out on the breakfast table while I eat my eggs and bacon..taking it in the bathroom, in front of me in bed......

Totally a luxury kind of item...

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
becasue it isn;t "flash" compatible and that if it were the battery life would only be 3 hours....?

Totally not true, Flash is just an extension of the O.S. like Java and when not used has nothing to do with power consumption. This is just rhetoric that is being spewed to make excuses for apples unwillingness to work with Adobe.

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Totally not true, Flash is just an extension of the O.S. like Java and when not used has nothing to do with power consumption. This is just rhetoric that is being spewed to make excuses for apples unwillingness to work with Adobe.

Hmmm....the guy at bestbuy said something about that being directly related to the battery life.

Why won't Apple work with Adobe? I use Adobe all the time!!!

AliceWantsUncut

Experimental Member
Media
I waited on a long line to get my iphone when they first became available. I think I got the last 16GB in the store. They're cool, fun to play with. But I also have a Blackberry (need something to make calls from)

And the ipad is no different. Got to have it now because of the hype? That's fine. But the product is far from complete. It's a glorified itouch. Very disappointing you can't run separate apps simultaneously; yahoo messenger and safari for example. Don't get me wrong, I want one and I'll own one. But I don't have the drive like I did with iphone. I'm okay holding off and waiting for any bugs to get fixed, or features to be added.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The obvious answer for the whole Adobe vs. Apple issue - The Apps.
Dedicated coders of Flash can make full-on internet applications to do a variety of things. That would cause problems for the App store. Also, Adobe did make things a bit problematic with licensing. The fact that you can install Flash Player on a Jailbroken iPod Touch or iPhone shows that it can be done and that Apple hasn't completely blocked the idea. Don't be surprised if things start to change once CS5 hits the market.

As for the iPad? By second or third generation, this will be a must have item. I've already seen some amazing music production applications being made specifically for the iPad. All they really need to do with this thing is add on an SD Card Reader, USB, a built-in camera for video chat and allow the OS to do Multifinder.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The guy told the battery life is 10 hours becasue it isn;t "flash" compatible and that if it were the battery life would only be 3 hours....maybe one you you techies could explain that better.

Since Apple won't support Flash on the iPad or iPhone, there's no real way to know how much it would hurt battery life. Flash is known to suck up an inordinate amount of CPU usage at times, since it's a fairly old technology that's designed more for universal compatibility than for efficiency.

How does the wifi work? DO you have to get a subscritption or is it just free if you have a hot spot to go to?

AFAIK, it works like all other wifi devices: it can connect to wifi hot spots that are in range, but it's up to you to pay if they aren't free.

I think it's more like an extension of a web browser, since installing the Flash plugin doesn't enable most users to play Flash movies outside a browser. (VLC is the best option there.) And of course when not being used it has nothing to do with power consumption, which gives it a leg up on, say, power strips.

Why won't Apple work with Adobe? I use Adobe all the time!!!

Let's not kid ourselves. It's not really because Flash is a crappy technology, even though it is. It's because Apple wants to control mobile video and doesn't want Adobe to.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As for the iPad? By second or third generation, this will be a must have item. I've already seen some amazing music production applications being made specifically for the iPad. All they really need to do with this thing is add on an SD Card Reader, USB, a built-in camera for video chat and allow the OS to do Multifinder.
You mean like this?
X2 to release ?iTablet? in April | Geek with Laptop

Other than the "Ohh, new Apple, it's pretty" factor the iPad has nothing on it's windows based competitors.

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I waited on a long line to get my iphone when they first became available. I think I got the last 16GB in the store. They're cool, fun to play with. But I also have a Blackberry (need something to make calls from)

And the ipad is no different. Got to have it now because of the hype? That's fine. But the product is far from complete. It's a glorified itouch. Very disappointing you can't run separate apps simultaneously; yahoo messenger and safari for example. Don't get me wrong, I want one and I'll own one. But I don't have the drive like I did with iphone. I'm okay holding off and waiting for any bugs to get fixed, or features to be added.

This is a slightly off-topic question, but I've wanted an iPhone for the longest time but because of my contract with Verizon, can't get one. I'm about to pull the trigger on an iTouch instead. Am I right in assuming you have an iPhone, but no contract and no ability to make calls with it?