Anyone have an iPad?

AliceWantsUncut

Experimental Member
Media
No, I have the two year with ATT as well as a Verizon BB. (i was just exaggerating the garbage ATT service.) Im not in a major city, however, so it's spotty.

But I can Skype on the iphone too, and all sorts of stuff. I think the app is good on the itouch too but I don't have one of those.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's a money pit.

The biggest selling point of this thing is that it's it's a large screen for web surfing on the go. It's the "On the go" bit that will cost you.

In order to connect "on the go" with this you'll need a 3G connection paid either month by month or on contract. Can you make calls on this? NO. So now you're paying, in essence, for two cellular contracts. Have a 3G stick for your laptop already? Super! The iPad lacks USB ports to use it with.

Did I mention you can't just buy a new battery when the original is used up?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$heep.

RawDog, if you're on Verizon keep your eyes peeled for the HTC Incredible.
The screen is larger than the iPod Touch, it has an 8MP camera (no camera period on Touch or iPad), you won't need a wifi connection for internet, PLUS it's a phone. Think all in one.

Verizon's Incredible new phone may be in stores within 'two weeks' -- Engadget

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
there is an apple hater in the house lol
Not so. I have two iPods for music and I have no issue with Macs but when people are looking for multifunctionality on handheld devices I roll my eyes at how everyone coos over the pretty fruit because I just don't find that Apple delivers.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not so. I have two iPods for music and I have no issue with Macs but when people are looking for multifunctionality on handheld devices I roll my eyes at how everyone coos over the pretty fruit because I just don't find that Apple delivers.

So which phone is better than the iphone right now?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You mean like this?
X2 to release ?iTablet? in April | Geek with Laptop

Other than the "Ohh, new Apple, it's pretty" factor the iPad has nothing on it's windows based competitors.

The problem is going to be the software. Guaranteed.
The main reason why many of the MP3 players have yet to shake the iPod from the top spot, regardless of all of the cool features they add to the unit that may even surpass the iPod, is because the software it interfaces with is extremely buggy & problematic. Where the iPad will shine is that it's overly simplistic. One button... one software package to sync and do everything else. If the X2 can't get their software together, it's going to fail.

Also, I do agree with you in regards to the lack of USB expansion on the iPad. It's kinda silly to make a device that tries to go after the tablet market without at least one USB and SD card slot. Then again, you can bet the unit will have Bluetooth by the second or third software update and that opens up a completely different can of worms. Plus the new iPhone OS will support better multitasking, which means running more apps at once will have more efficiency. After the initial "wow factor", Apple is going to add some of the extra features that everyone wants on this thing and as long as they can maintain iTunes it's not going to falter.

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
You mean like this?
X2 to release ?iTablet? in April | Geek with Laptop

Other than the "Ohh, new Apple, it's pretty" factor the iPad has nothing on it's windows based competitors.
LOL. How do you spell clunky? It's like comparing a Galaxy station wagon to a 'Vette. Yeah, the wagon will do more stuff... but which would you rather use? Or be seen with?

The "pretty factor" counts for a lot. People want beautiful and well designed stuff. How the case of the TV looks in my salon is as important as how well it works.

I'll probably get one in a couple years when all the hype has died down and a isn't so bleedingly trendy. My iphone works a treat and they are getting better all the time,

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's a money pit.

The biggest selling point of this thing is that it's it's a large screen for web surfing on the go. It's the "On the go" bit that will cost you.

It's a money pit just like all pretty toys are, in that nobody needs one and you've fallen for the hype. I don't think "web surfing on the go" is the biggest selling point at all. I think they're targeting people who want a stripped down computer to use mostly in their living room. It hides all the technical interfaces and only does the handful of things that many people use a home computer for: websurfing, sure, but also some word processing, multimedia, and games. For many people, the iPad will do a great job of that. For many others, it's a terribly limited device that doesn't appeal to them. Fortunately for Apple, they don't need the second group to buy one, just some from the first group.

As for the lack of USB or SD card connectivity, I'm guessing that someone will make a third-party solution for that. When the first iMac came out, people said it would fail because it had no floppy drive or serial ports. It turned out that a lot of users were just on the verge of not needing either of those anyway. On the other hand, Apple also used to make a Cube computer that was going to revolutionize computer form factor and didn't need a fan. Turned out that it was more like a pretty paperweight.

I AM kind of sick of hearing about the iPad though.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So which phone is better than the iphone right now?
That really depends on what is "better" for the individual. So if we're talking things like call quality, being able to replace your own battery, multitasking and expandable memory then for my money just about every Android model and many running windows mobile beat the iPhone.

The iPhone is great if you're moving up from a phone that does less but if you're coming from a pocket PC phone it's a step down, IMO.

After the initial "wow factor", Apple is going to add some of the extra features that everyone wants on this thing and as long as they can maintain iTunes it's not going to falter.
I agree with everything you said but it's this "wow factor" you mention that bothers me. Apple is an industry leader, right? So when they release a product this hobbled my response isn't "wow" but "WTF?".

LOL. How do you spell clunky? It's like comparing a Galaxy station wagon to a 'Vette. Yeah, the wagon will do more stuff... but which would you rather use? Or be seen with?

The "pretty factor" counts for a lot. People want beautiful and well designed stuff. How the case of the TV looks in my salon is as important as how well it works.

I'll probably get one in a couple years when all the hype has died down and a isn't so bleedingly trendy. My iphone works a treat and they are getting better all the time,
Function over form, thank you. I wouldn't date a male model who was an lackwit, either.

Classic cars are freaking gorgeous but since they didn't have computers back in the day let's have a more accurate comparison by making the wagon a Dodge Magnum with the Hemi V8. The Magnum has plenty of power, looks fierce and has room for raunchy sex in the back. I's rather own and be seen with that than have people wonder what I'm compensating for. :wink:

Besides, since Corvette dropped the Stingray models they just look like glorified Trans Ams.:cool:

If the iTablet seems too "clunky" check out the models most likely to give the iPad serious competition.
http://gizmodo.com/5495946/ipad-alternatives-the-main-contenders/gallery/

Last edited:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think they're targeting people who want a stripped down computer to use mostly in their living room.
The wifi only model would be for that, sure, but even there it falls short as you can't even connect your camera to load pictures. I think with the 3G models they're targeting the always on the run crowd, which is where it gets costly.

My biggest beef with the iPhone/iPad phenomemon is that it's the most backwards thing I've seen. Normally a company designs it's products to give the consumer what they want so they'll buy it. Not Apple.

Apple: Look, we made a phone! Isn't it pretty?
Consumer: Oh, yes, it's pretty!
Apple: You can only have it if you go to AT&T.
Consumer: Okey dokey.
Apple: Never mind the poor call quality or the things it doesn't do. It's pretty.
Consumer: Preetty.
Apple: you can't use it right out of the box, you have to do all this synching and activation first. But it's still pretty.
Consumer: So pretty.

That's basically how the first iPhone release went. This iPad strikes me as going the same way. It uses 3G but not the sim card you have in your phone. It needs a micro sim card. Bunk.
Consumer: So pretty.

I don't get this mass hypnosis effect.
I'm the consumer. Give me what I want or you don't get my money.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Gillette said:
I agree with everything you said but it's this "wow factor" you mention that bothers me. Apple is an industry leader, right? So when they release a product this hobbled my response isn't "wow" but "WTF?".

Well, you know us Apple fanboys. We always dampen our panties at the sight of new Macintosh hardware. Hell, we got excited over Snow Leopard which is nothing more but 10.5 pruned down to eliminate a lot of the unnecessary code & pre-installed drivers that bloat the OS. :biggrin: :wink:

The new MacBook Pros with the possibility of a 512GB SSD as well as the talk of a hexacore Mac Pro later this year also made my inner geek do a couple of backflips. I think naturally, most people know to not jump the gun and flock to the first model of any particular product. But Apple knows how to make something look sexy, and that's why we're hearing all of the cyber-moans of ecstasy right now.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There's a few lines missing from the script.

PC Consumer: It sucks.
Apple: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
PC Consumer: Just wait until the PC versions come out.
Apple: You mean the Windows knock-offs that will be easily prone to viruses, higher hardware failure rates outside of the box and will fail commercially after 6 months?
PC Consumer: So what? It's not like Apples don't crash.
Apple: That's true. But it's less likely to happen.
PC Consumer: And... you're preeeeeety.
Apple: Now you're getting it.
PC Consumer: Hmph. You still suck.
Apple: Better to suck than to bite hard. How's that Zune working out for ya? :wink:

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That really depends on what is "better" for the individual. So if we're talking things like call quality, being able to replace your own battery, multitasking and expandable memory then for my money just about every Android model and many running windows mobile beat the iPhone.

Why do you need expandable memory with 32 gigs of it? Isn't that like 31 more gigs than the Android comes with?

Have you ever had to replace a battery? Not one cell phone have I owned that needed a battery replacement, and I've used some pretty shitty ones.

Lol have you used an Android yet? They are a joke compared to the iphone right now. People at one of the places I do work at use Androids and they are always bitching about bugs and how it doesn't really work that great, not to mention it's quite slower than the iphone.

I hate apple fanboys as much as you do (even though I kind of am one), and protested getting the iphone until they came out with the 3gs that was FINALLY (I hate how they cripple their devices so you have to go get the new one that comes out to get a feature that could have been in it from day one) a legitimate phone that provided features that all other cell phones have had for years. But it is far and away the best phone on the market, at least here in America. At&t sucks though.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Apple: Better to suck than to bite hard. How's that Zune working out for ya? :wink:
What are the disadvantages of the Zune? I've never had the chance to play with one. Are they actually crap or is this just the belief held because it's release was teased to death?

Why do you need expandable memory with 32 gigs of it? Isn't that like 31 more gigs than the Android comes with?
Video recording sucks up shitloads of memory and some people have plenty more than 32gigs of music they'd like quick access to. So which is more convenient? Synching your device to your computer so you can save the video from the device and then load your music (some of it anyway) back onto it? OR pop one SD card out and the next one in?

Have you ever had to replace a battery? Not one cell phone have I owned that needed a battery replacement, and I've used some pretty shitty ones.
Some things drain power faster than others. If you're using your phone for entertainment on long trips or are prone to forgetting to charge your device regularly then having a spare battery in your purse to swap out can be wonderful. If you drop your phone in water the best hope of saving it is to remove the battery so it doesn't fry the unit. Bobbing for Apples anyone?

Lol have you used an Android yet? They are a joke compared to the iphone right now. People at one of the places I do work at use Androids and they are always bitching about bugs and how it doesn't really work that great, not to mention it's quite slower than the iphone.
I haven't had a chance to use one for an extended period or play with every feature but I'd rather have something that does everything I want even if some glitches occur than have something that flawlessly doesn't do some of the things I consider important.

I'm a perfect 10 physically, I'm well educated, witty, thoughtful, a great cook, earn a fabulous income. I'm a delight to be around, however, sexual contact of any kind is out of the question. It isn't in my programing.
Still hot for me?

I hate apple fanboys as much as you do (even though I kind of am one), and protested getting the iphone until they came out with the 3gs that was FINALLY (I hate how they cripple their devices so you have to go get the new one that comes out to get a feature that could have been in it from day one) a legitimate phone that provided features that all other cell phones have had for years. But it is far and away the best phone on the market, at least here in America. At&t sucks though.

Let me see if I understand this. You agree with the points I've made regarding the iPad and Apples merchandising strategy but label me an Apple hater for having outlined why I think the iPad is underwhelming?

Kiss my ass.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Video recording sucks up shitloads of memory and some people have plenty more than 32gigs of music they'd like quick access to. So which is more convenient? Synching your device to your computer so you can save the video from the device and then load your music (some of it anyway) back onto it? OR pop one SD card out and the next one in?

Some things drain power faster than others. If you're using your phone for entertainment on long trips or are prone to forgetting to charge your device regularly then having a spare battery in your purse to swap out can be wonderful. If you drop your phone in water the best hope of saving it is to remove the battery so it doesn't fry the unit. Bobbing for Apples anyone?

I haven't had a chance to use one for an extended period or play with every feature but I'd rather have something that does everything I want even if some glitches occur than have something that flawlessly doesn't do some of the things I consider important.

I'm a perfect 10 physically, I'm well educated, witty, thoughtful, a great cook, earn a fabulous income. I'm a delight to be around, however, sexual contact of any kind is out of the question. It isn't in my programing.
Still hot for me?

Let me see if I understand this. You agree with the points I've made regarding the iPad and Apples merchandising strategy but label me an Apple hater for having outlined why I think the iPad is underwhelming?

Kiss my ass.

I take tons of video and pictures, and hours and hours and hours of audio recording and haven't even filled up 16 gigs (or half) of my iphone. Video on the iphone doesn't take up THAT much space. Oh and if it does, you know what I do? I sync it to my computer and delete it from the phone. Voila voodoo black magic.

If you continue to have issues with your battery going out you can go to the store an buy a 20$ battery replacement thing that recharges your battery fully on the run (or bring along the small charger).

Who wants to keep popping in and out small SD cards? They get lost, they are small, they get mixed up. Pointless. I sync to the computer and still have kept everything I have done on my iphone; IM convos, music, videos, audio, pictures, misc etc. All there, with plenty of space to go.

If you drop your (i)phone in water you are a moron, period. Put it in a rice bag and hope that works out for you.

Yes I agree with your points on Apple and their devilish merchandising ways, but that doesn't mean they don't come up with good, innovative products. My point was that I was sitting on the same side of the fence as you (not for computers as macs are far superior but regarding iphones etc), but when I actually USED one (that was finally up to date, as the iphone now is) I realized what all the fuss is about. Every other phone is simply an iphone wannabe at this point. I'm more than willing to check out another phone if it was better but they aren't close at this point. Every one that has claimed to be has been a laughing stock and a complete bust.

I'll kiss your ass if you would like but I am starting to think you have never used an iphone in your life, and sit on the other side of the fence hating on it.