Anyone here who has never seen the sea?

Obviously television doesn't count. I mean is there anyone who has never been to actually see it.

Is there anyone who can remember seeing it for the first time? Can you describe the experience?

rd62624

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
^ The questions are not whether or not you have seen an ocean, but: "Is there anyone who can remember seeing it for the first time?... Can you describe the experience?"
I am sorry if i misunderstood the op question. The Caribbean has a sea. As kids we use to take family vacations to the beach sometimes a lake . As for the ocean it was like WoW! look at all this water.

alcor972

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
as for me...
:D
when I saw... the snow... for the first time...:D
it was in france... precisely in an old volcanoes chain in the middle of the country... during april month...
the altitude was near 1 500 meters... 5 000 feet... and the weather was fine...
I walked towad the snow laid on the slope with emotion... I took the gloves I was wearing off... and I touched it as if it was the food god was providing to his people in the sinai desert when they escaped from egypt...
several years later... I saw the snow falling fron the clouds for the first time... I was in Paris... and the flakes were so light comparatively to the rain droplets... that I found that the snow was well more gentle than the rain...
I liked very much watching the ice crystals structure showing off from the flakes when they have just reached the ground...
lol...

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I remember the first time I saw the Gulf of Mexico. The family vacationed in Corpus Christi, and I remember being afraid. I really was. The largest body of water I had ever seen before that was Lake Travis near Austin, Texas. What scared me was that I could not see the other side! It was just eternal! There was something about it that made me insecure, and for a long time I was afraid to go swimming thinking I would be swept out to sea.

That happened again when I went to visit my grandparents in the UK. We drove forever to see the English Channel. I knew from school that France was on the other side, but I couldn't see it and again I became scared.

I now live in Florida about an hour from each coast, the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean. Of the two I'd prefer the ocean. It just feels so much more alive.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yes I remember the first time I saw the sea. I was on the ferry between Vancouver and the Island. It was as big as the sky, bigger than the prairies. It made me feel even smaller than I was.

Years later, when I moved to Vancouver, I lived on the side of a mountain. Everything was so hilly and up and down. I would get claustrophobic. Being a prairie girl, I needed the sky, I needed the horizon. I would go to the beach to open up. I could breathe again. I needed that sense of endless horizon and sky.

Just returned from the majestic Pacific; Awe inspiring beauty and power! Our 29' boat was less than a matchstick. At thirty two miles off the mouth of the Columbia, the water was 63.3F and sort of a tropical, deep blue/purple. There were comb jellies and dislodged kelp drifting in the current and the air was so fresh and clean as to almost intoxicate. Saw porpoises, petrels, and a grey whale blow.
At night, the pounding surf was a low frequency background harmonic in our cabin.

Last edited by a moderator:

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... I needed the sky, I needed the horizon. I would go to the beach to open up. I could breathe again. I needed that sense of endless horizon and sky.
So well spoken, LaFemme... Poetic!

Exactly my feelings when I get out to the coast... There is something about looking out at an ocean's horizon that is calming, mystical, and spiritual.

A/B

Last edited:

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... What scared me was that I could not see the other side! It was just eternal! There was something about it that made me insecure, and for a long time I was afraid to go swimming thinking I would be swept out to sea...

EllieP... This is almost word-for-word what many friends of mine said when they arrived here in the Pacific Northwest, from the Midwest, having never seen an ocean, and seeing the Pacific for the first time... They weren't only in awe, they were somewhat frightened by it.

But, with time, and many fun clam-bakes, and sunset bonfires, they grew to love it as much as I do.

A/B

Reactions: 950483 and EllieP

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Anyway... The OP's topic has still not been addressed by a member here who has yet to see a sea:
"Anyone here who has never seen the sea?"

Imagine the approaching anticipation!

Last edited:
Reactions: 950483

xnxxxv

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I didn't see the sea till I was I think very young I grew up while not poor holiday's weren't something my parents could afford when along with our family my parents were supporting other lazier family members. I was 14 when my dad finally got pissed off and he stopped letting them take advantage we went to cornwall.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
New York City is surrounded by water, once you get past the rivers, the bays and the sound, you are exposed to the Ocean. I remember looking out at the ocean from the beach; and feeling very very small in the grand scale of the planet and the universe

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... I remember looking out at the ocean from the beach; and feeling very very small in the grand scale of the planet and the universe

Yep... Being out on an open beach, exposed to the elements, alone, or with others, you are almost forced to "look at the Big Picture".

A/B

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The very first time I was age 8. It was Pompano beach in Florida. There was tar on the beach and it got stuck on me, I wasn't impressed. I've been to the beach periodically over the years (Atlantic, Pacific, and the Gulf). I had my fun, but it was never a mystical experience or anything like that for me. Mostly just relaxing.

Snow, on the other hand, stirs me emotionally. It did when I was a youngster, and it does to this day. I only bring it up because another poster did above as well, but yeah, snow feels magical to me. The beach is just the beach.

Reactions: Gelflingfay

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The first time I saw it was from a car window as we drove toward a beach vacation. The sheer vastness of it literally took my breath away. I was awestruck, and not necessarily in a good way. I love it now, though. :)

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The first time I saw the ocean, I was 10 yrs old, and it was the Gulf of Mexico in Galveston.

I grew up in NE Oklahoma and was used to the big lakes and water skiing, boating, etc. So I was pretty used to the water. But the excitement that I was going to an ocean was unreal! And on an island! And camping on the beach! I can still remember being all extremely excited and giddy while heading there not knowing exactly what to expect.

We get to the campsite and us kids didn't even wait for the doors to open on the car to make a mad dash for the beach! Sandy beach for miles meant sand castle heaven and was a new and awesome sight as well as the water stretching out to infinity as far as we were concerned. So we splashed into the water with gleeful abandon. That's when the concept of salt water hit me. I knew it would be but wasn't really prepared for just HOW salty it was. But no matter. After wearing ourselves out in the waves and burnt to a crispy critter, we chased sand crabs at dark and explored everything, and slept like bricks under the stars.

It was as awesome to me then as it always is now, even when it's bad.

Last year, I got to take one of my cousins to the beach for the first time. Never saw a 42 yr old act like I did then and enjoy it just as much. It was awesome.