Anyone Hunt ?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mista geechee, Jul 20, 2008.

1. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't know if hunting offends anyone here but I figure that if it did tehy just wouldn't click on it.

I got my first deer when I was 13 but that was the only time I ever used a gun for hunting, except my first duck hunt. Other than those 2 times I use a compound bow. It makes it more exciting and the rush can't be described. I've only got one deer but we usually get turkey or hog. It's kind of like a rite of passage among my family (and I assume it is among alot of southern families). I'm not into that trophy shit though, that's just arrogant, we usually only hunt for thanksgiving and the July 4th/New Year's hog roast. Or we hunt a hog whenever there is a celebration to be had in teh family. Plus there is added excitement since hogs can be very dangerous. When I was younger I saw my grandaddy approach a hog he thought was finally dead and it went buck wild when he got up on it. He took out his bowie knife and sliced it right where its hind legs met its gut. Shit was pretty graphic, I saw it's "innards" slowly fall out. That's when I knew that I had to carry on tradition.

I may be going next month to bag a hog for my cousin's anniversary.

But we usually don't fuck around with game reserves because those people like to be bitches. Wanna tell you how big of a hog or deer you can hunt. Then they wanna tell you that you can't stalk. Sorry, but sitting in one place with all that GPS and shit takes away the rush of burying your clothes in teh ground the night before and rubbing dirt allover yourself before you creep through the woods like homeboy from Metal Gear.

Anyone else enjoy the wilderness ?

2. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    My uncle took me hunting once with his hunting dog. We went to this mountain, or really big hill, where all these rich, lazy "hunters" would go. There were various stations around the hill, and we were at one with our dog being the retrieving dog for the people who would be stationed at our spot. A large flock of pheasant and what not would be let out during each round of shooting, and once the round ended, the "hunters" would all rotate to a new place. This would continue on for some time.

Once the round ends, the dogs go out and find whatever bird was shot by the "hunter" at their respective station. A lot of the times the duck, pheasant, or what have you was not dead upon arrival. My job was to execute the fowl on return. My uncle explained to me the way I was supposed to do it; by grabbing the duck by the neck and swinging it around like a lasso thus breaking it's neck. I must have finished off 60 of them. I was 12 years old, and can still remember the little beedy black eyes of my victims. A growing up experience for sure. Now I just do the same thing to poonannys.

By the way I would kill to get my metal gear on in the wilderness, snake plissken style.

3. transformer_99

Gold Member

I'll fish, but hunting ? Visions of a Dick Cheney hunting party comes to mind. My Dad used to do it. All it took was one hunter to pin him down behind a rock after another hunter got confused and had mistaken he and others for big game.

Even the fishing though, last couple times out (offshore Atlantic Ocean party boat) caught very little from the few bites and nibbles. I may go back to leaving that to the commercial experts too. Had fun, but stage 1 seasickness after a couple hours, summer sun intensity, heat and humidity isn't easy on you even early AM to mid-day when they take you out and bring you back. They have a night fishing excursion, I may try that, at least it eliminates the sun and heat ?

4. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Transfomer99 and Skull Mason, that's two more reasons I don't mess with game reserves.

Nothing is better than getting up at 4 in the morning and retreiving your clothes and going out into the middle of nowhere. Even though it's cold and wet at first, once the sun starts to rise and you smell the woods you remember why you're out there.

And transformer99, I can't imagine growing up on teh coast with the problem of getting sea sick.

5. lucky8

Gold Member

I used to hunt pheasant, quail, and bow hunt for deer. Fishing is where it's at though, if you ever have a chance to go deep sea fishing, do it. I caught a 200 lb sail fish off the coast of Cancun a few months ago. It was fucking sweet.

6. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love to hunt. It's so quiet, and you can just listen to the leaves and the breeze. Then that __insert game of choice__ comes along just crunching on the leaves. It's unbelievable. It's the feeling you get when you pull back on the bow, seeing your target just standing there. :wink:

7. transformer_99

Gold Member

The back to nature aspect of it, early AM's for either hunting and fishing is beautiful.

As for the seasickness, only happens on larger boats when they sit dead in the water and broadside to the swells heading towards shore. Smaller boats, jetskis, even being in the surf beyond the breakers on a surfboard, it doesn't happen to me. I call stage 1 just uncomfortable seasickness, I didn't chum the water, nor the sight of others puking over the side do anything to me. Just became less active and didn't feel like standing at the side of the boat sweating and waiting for a bite that never came. All I could think of, "it would be nice to sit down and fish". After 1/2 hour of no luck they move on to the next artificial reef. By then, no breeze and facing the sun, sweating and the wave action has taken it's toll though.

8. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ahh, a fellow bow hunter. Man nothing can beat that experience. I can swear my balls get a little bigger when I'm out there. I find that the less modern technology I use (except the compound bow), the more fulfilling it is. When I was younger it was just hunting but as I got older it became a way to shed the preconditioned inhibitions of society. I've never thought about deer hunting with a bow, though. Sounds like quite a challenge. Deer are the epitome of ambivalence, half the time they will attack hunters and half teh time they will scamper off.

And yea lucky8, I've gone deep sea fishing several times. We usually fish, shrimp, or crab most of the year since I live 10 minutes from the beach and a literal stone's throw from a large river. But I usually go farhter inland to hunt.

I've always found bear hunting interesting but I'm not into that trophy shit and I can't see my family eating a bear. Plus, I'm guessing a compound bow wouldn't be to efficient against a 600 pound bear. And going in the woods with a shotgun loaded with bear shot cartridges or a high caliber rifle takes away the intimacy of the hunt. Not to mention you would probably have to shoot it 3 or 4 times and chase it down, and it will probably run farther away than a deer or hog.

9. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    well...I'm a city boy, but does running through the neighborhood with a BB gun while looking for squirrels count?

I have gone deep sea fishing a few times when I was a kid...that was pretty cool...never caught anything bigger than some nice-sized sea bass, but I never got seasick once...

10. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  11. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I don't hunt, but I eat meat. I don't find this hypocritical, since I really don't object to hunting. I just don't find it enjoyable. I play paintball alot, though, and I know how to use a shotgun and a crossbow.

Funny how they call themselves 'sportsmen'.

12. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yea paintball is pretty fun. I haven't played in awhile but I still have my gun. A tippmann 98 custom. Call me old school I guess. I never really fancied all that autococker or electronic shit.

13. Principessa

Gold Member

Having grown up in rural New Jersey all the men in my family plus most of our neighbors hunted. In spite of this, I am afraid of guns. :redface: This does not stop me from making the best venison chili around though. :biggrin1: I guess I'm one of those people that's cool with it as long as what you kill ends up on someones table rather than just being a trophy for the wall.

I also grew up crabbing and fishing with my dad at Seaside Heights and Leonardo, NJ. Now that to me was fun! :smile: Most of my best childhood memories of my dad involve us and the ocean. I would love to get back into fishing and have often considered taking one of those LLBean or Orvis fly fishing classes for women. Yes, I am one of those women that gets queasy baiting hooks. :redface: I can do it, but I don't like it. :yuck:

14. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

Yes, I am one of those women that gets queasy baiting hooks. :redface: I can do it, but I don't like it. :yuck:[/quote]

This reminded me of my ex wife, she loved to fish, could bait her own hook, but she would never touch the fish, I always had to take it off the hook.

I love to fish but rarely have the time to go. I don't hunt but have several co-workers and friends that are into hunting big time.

15. camper joe

Gold Member

I have never really hunted, but I was taught to handle a rifle by my Dad. I did once take aim at a bird perched in a tree and shoot and kill it. To this day I am haunted by the sight of that dead bird. Since that day the only times I have shot a gun was on the occasions when I hunt mistletoe for Christmas.

16. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm guessing that by hunting you mean shoot it out of a tree ?

17. Principessa

Gold Member

Why are you hunting mistletoe? Don't they sell it at your local Home Depot, Lowe's or garden center?:confused:

18. nashboy

nashboy Active Member

Albums:
    ive never been hunting...fishing a ton but not hunting. im from TN so im used to people that do...have fun with it, but its not for me.

19. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hunted as a boy: deer, pheasant, ducks. I don't hunt anymore, rather, I found I just enjoyed getting out for a hike in the woods as much as anything else.

20. transformer_99

Gold Member

I hear you, even as a guy, that fish odor is damn strong and hard to get rid of. I like that about the party fishing boats. They handle the bait, the fish, the filleting of the catch too. I stunk enough just sweating on that boat, and definitely wouldn't want the fish odor in my vehicle. I bring a bucket along just in case I catch something and it does have to go in the car.

Here's a photo hunt gone bad video, sometimes the hunted become the hunters. Watch it only if you have the stomach for it:

YouTube - Idiot versus Lions

#20 transformer_99, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
Draft saved Draft deleted