anyone in Virginia?

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by hungteen02@Jul 3 2005, 11:47 PM
Are there any people in here that go to or went to a college or university in Virginia? I'm looking at colleges now, and was wondering about the social life, etc...
[post=326473]Quoted post[/post]​

Which colleges are you considering? I graduated from a university in Virginia, and teach at one now. I've also had the opportunity to visit a number of other campuses in the area for seminars and interviews.

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't reccomend Virgina Commonwealth University, I do not enjoy Richmond one bit, but I don't like it at home much either I suppose.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I live here but did not go to school here. So take my advice for what its worth. I had a friend who went to Tech and stayed the weekend with him there a few times. Though it was years ago, I thought it was a bit more uptight there than other schools I had been to.

Would stay in the northern portion if I were you, although Charlottesville (UVA) is supposed to be a decent town. The idea of going to school in Blacksburg, Harrisonburg. Richmond or the Tidewater region doesn't strike me as overly fun. They are either too small or overly conservative. George Mason is about 1/2 hour from downtown DC. The area is more lively (also more expensive and congested) than the rest of Virginia.

Or, you could go to a REAL school like the University of Maryland. :) They have a well respected engineering program too.

Good luck to you.

BlondBttmBoy1973

Experimental Member
Media
See, I would say go to NC State, which also has a great engineering program. You have three ACC schools within 30 minutes of each other (UNC in Chapel Hill, Duke in Durham, and NC State in Raleigh) and the area has gotten really progressive in the past 5 years or so. And with three schools, there is ALWAYS something going on at one of them.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you're planning to major in Engineering, then -- among Virginia schools -- you should consider Tech. However, keep these in mind:
  • If possible, take AP Calculus before leaving high school, and linear algebra and vector geometry at a community college before arriving at Virginia Tech. VT's intro math classes are woefully underfunded, which means you will be taking 1224 (Vector Geometry) in a large lecture class of about 200 students, and even worse, you will be expected to take 1114 (Linear Algebra) in an online self-paced format with nearly no human contact. If you find yourself having difficulty in those classes, you'll have to fend for yourself.
  • Blacksburg is geographically isolated -- this limits the social life available. Other than football and beer, there's not much -- and believe it or not, football and beer get old after a while. A sad consequence is that Blacksburg has a tragic amount of alcohol abuse; a few students are injured and killed every year here of completely preventable causes. (example -- note that it was "the third such instance in the past three weeks.") Find other things to do to keep sane here.

AmericanWoman

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by hungteen02@Jul 3 2005, 11:47 PM
Are there any people in here that go to or went to a college or university in Virginia? I'm looking at colleges now, and was wondering about the social life, etc...
[post=326473]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey! Yeah, I went to U.Va. Loved it. Loved Charlottesville. Got a great education. Ask me anything. (And BTW, getting into U.Va. is almost a sure thing if you do a year at Piedmont Virginia Community College in Charlottesville first. They have some kind of transfer agreement provided ou get a 3.25 average or something. Know lots of people who went that route if they didn't get into Virginia the first time.)

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There are lots of good schools in Virginia.
UVA in Charlottesville is a great school. One of the highest graduation rates in the country. Charlottesville is a nice little town.
William & Mary is a very good school, known mostly for their humanities programs, located in Williamsburg which is okay if you like history, not so sure about the nightlife there...
George Mason University in Fairfax is where I go, they're currently the biggest school in the state, as such they attempt to cater to everyone. The main campus is in Fairfax, VA, in Northern VA which is very different from the rest of the state. Less rural, more liberal and cosmopolitan. Fairfax has some stuff to do but GMU is still mostly a commuter school and campus life is a little sleepy (though that's changing). However, Washington DC is within easy driving distance and there is plenty of stuff to do there. If you're interested in Law at all, GMU has among the top 5 schools in the country.
VA Tech is also a huge school known mostly for its engineering program. It's a mixed military/civilian campus. Located in Blacksburg, I think, which is a small college town in the middle of nowhere, close to TN and NC. Decent football team.
Radford is another option, if you're concerned about social life, I think they are the best-known "party school" in Virginia.
JMU is a decent school, like VT it's kind of isolated though.
VCU in Richmond I've heard mixed things about- though I've never heard anyone say they enjoyed living in Richmond.

hunghokie13

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I was accepted to George Mason, JMU, and VA Tech. I decided to go to VA Tech because their engineering program was better than other, and it was big enough that I could easily make friends. Many people think Tech is a school full of hicks and drunks, but that is not so. Many people think there is nothign to do besides football and drink, while football is very entertaining, there are many other student organizations to get involved in (one of the advantages of going to a big school), you are sure to find at least one that you like. Another huge plus: many open minded people here (see my post "Roomates" in Young and Hung).

AkimotoMichiyo

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I recommend Virginia Tech. I came here a couple years ago and I love it. The people are great, the environment is great and the parties are great.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
I went to UVA...loved the school and Charlottesville. If you prefer small schools, Washington & Lee and William & Mary are excellent schools academically. VMI is a good choice if you are interested in military. Virginia is fortunate to have many top-notch universities, but several are as competitive as Ivy League universities.

roach1

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have loved Virginia Tech since i have been here, i am going on my third year here. Its alot of fun during the school year, alot of good parties, great engineering school. Its just a great place to go to school

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I almost took UVA over U of TX....UVA was sooo much more better, but U of TX was near home, so I went with it.

If I had to choose, I would say UVA....or WVU in Morgantown, WV. Have heard good things about them too....and they are a good football party college....then so is UVA:)...and UT.

Rock on,

Damiaen