Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Haha, yeah... John F. Street has had his fair share of scandals. As for me, I'm not about to pay $600 for a phone.

iPhones have also immediately shown up on ebay as well, some as much as $ 1,500 as a "buy now" auction. iPhone scalpers, go figure. I saw one seller claiming to have 38 phones for sale, but his pic only shows 13 of them.

Biggie77

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was watching the iPhone auctions on Ebay as well. They were going for right around $700. Poor scalpers. Boohoo. No obscene PS3 prices here. It is cool technology but wait a year or 2 when competitors come out with better ones at a 1/3 the price.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are a lot of shortcomings, both real and perceived, to the features of this phone for sure. I wound up grabbing a Razr last month, just before Razr2 will be introduced. Perhaps I could've waited, but I found an ebay auction @ around $ 100 delivered and no new contract. It's a decent phone, I tend to take good care of them, so they last me for as long as I want the one I have. Funny, the plan I have is archaeic in terms of features and total minutes, but it's all I need, and I'd be paying at least $ 10 more a month for another 2 years, so buying a new phone was the most economical of solutions.

If you need a bluetooth headset, ebay is the way to go there as well. Mine was under $ 15 delivered, that same item retail would've been over $ 80.

Biggie77

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I carry a Razr, too. I like it. It has some heft to it, unlike the cheaper ones. Good clear sound, too. I'll wait on the latest and greatest. Hell, by christmas, the iPhones should be about 3-400 at the most. :rolleyes:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I carry a Razr, too. I like it. It has some heft to it, unlike the cheaper ones. Good clear sound, too. I'll wait on the latest and greatest. Hell, by christmas, the iPhones should be about 3-400 at the most. :rolleyes:

I'm speculating that Apple fanatics will dump their iPods on ebay, then turn around and use the proceeds to defray the cost of their new Apple toy, an iPhone. To be honest, the only issue I have with the Razr, the memory card has to be read by a card reader, so it even suffers in terms of convenience. I liken it to the Apple Powerbook, an aluminum skinned electronic gadget that needs to be handled tenderly. First thing I did to protect the Razr, get a snap on plastic case. It's a pain to remove to get to the memory card.

Anyway, other carriers need to be able to offer iPhones, while it'll be a success story under AT&T, that exclusivity cripples the iPhones real capability to sell. Something Apple does quite well to itself, you'd think they would learn that from the PPC to Intel transition in computers, even there they hold back OS X from other PC's, it simply drove me to really use Linux myself. I use OS X on my PPC Powerbook, I'd truly love to run it on a non-Apple PC. I'd even buy Leopard before Vista, otherwise I'm sticking with Linux/Ubuntu. Anyway, enough on computer software.

The upcoming Razr2 is Linux based (iPhone is OS X based).

Motorola finally launches U.S. Linux phone

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I try to avoid purchasing the first generation of any electronics, preferring to wait a version or two when the kinks tend to get ironed out.

I'll stick with the basic old Nokia flip phone and cheapy rate plan for now.

Falcon9

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wrangled with Sprint to get a new Samsung M610 power vision phone this year. It is thinner than the Razr and feels great to the touch. I unfortunately spent a few months arguing with Sprint over the billing as it was promised to be a "free" phone from one of their own reps. Eventually it was free and I ended up getting a $600.00 over-charge reduced to zero. Don't even ask, it was a crazy battle over the upgrading and their inept customer service is the most insane thing I ever experienced in my life to be honest. (Credits get issued and then the next month they dissappear!) But the phone is cool and now the billing is finally corrected... the only company I believe still offering a $29.95 month basic phone plan since I don't even use the thing that much. You don't need to get suckered into these ridiculous phone purchases and plans if you do a little research first. The idea of all that technology in the iphone is certainly seductive but I can listen to music and view pics on much better equipment elsewhere.

Falcon9

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
introducing the iCock. It fits comfortably in the hand, responds to touch, stores and shares a lot of fun stuff. Friends will want to try yours!

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm going to get one, that's for sure. It makes my Blackberry Pearl seem like a decade-old pile of shit.

I can't believe people are trying to sell them on eBay, either. It's not like there's a shortage.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay, since I laid out my opinion.. lol...

Slow data over EDGE: Yeah, I know. That'll be upgraded eventually. Apple's with AT&T now because 1) they needed a worldband phone, and neither Sprint nor Verizon have capable networks; 2) German-owned T-Mobile didn't want to sign on because they still want whatever revenue they can get by selling their own content; 3) AT&T was willing to make the compromises that Apple demanded, including hurrying up on network upgrades, allowing visual voicemail, and keeping their grubby paws out of the iPhone's operating system & application list (there's not a single AT&T logo to be found anywhere).

A 3G version is on its way -- that's a given. In the meantime, I'll still be able to use it when going overseas, and there's no way I could do that if I were still with Sprint or Verizon.

Other headphone jacks might not fit: Sure. I get along fine with Apple's earbuds, though. If I want to use something else, I could either shave down the excess rubber or get one of the adapters that's already available. It's not a problem like some people are saying.

AT&T's data plans have sucked before: Yes, but these new plans make a lot of sense. I'd even save money compared to what I have now with T-Mobile. In fact, if I have enough time left on my T-Mobile contract, I could take the $200 penalty hit for early cancellation, get on the cheaper AT&T iPhone plan, and still save money in the long term. I could even sell the Pearl and further defray a bit of the iPhone's hardware cost.

Its capacity is a "mere" 8 gigs: So what? Adding more flash memory will just make it even more expensive, and hard drives are not nearly as durable. The iPhone is about as skinny as it's going to get, too, and a hard drive will add just enough bulk to give potential buyers second thoughts.

The virtual keyboard sucks: No, it doesn't. My first experience wasn't perfect, but then again, its predictive text is a lot closer than what my Pearl tries to do. The Pearl somehow tries to make guesses based on typical spelling & speech conventions, but the iPhone picks from the dictionary (something built into OS X, ya know). Whereas my Pearl can come up with some unintelligible "words", the iPhone's a lot better.

Can't add third-party apps: What would I want to add? I haven't added much of anything to my Pearl in the ten months I've had it, and the only useful thing is a software reset -- which the iPhone has anyway. There are web-based chat programs out there, and within three days of the WWDC keynote, somebody scripted up a little browser-based grocery shopping list creator. I can see the point of keeping apps off the iPhone itself -- the OS is kept bolted down, and by using Safari bookmarks, you could potentially have a few dozen "applications" available without having to waste space on the phone.

What I want to be added: Voice dialing, primarily, and if it's beneficial, the ability to swap in a prepaid SIM card.

Voice dialing isn't far off. The Mac OS has had built-in voice recognition for a while already, and it'll probably take a simple software update (which, in typical Apple fashion, would be much less of a pain in the ass than it's been for my Pearl) to enable it in the iPhone's version of OS X.

A prepaid SIM card would be my way of getting cheaper calls when going to Europe. The iPhone won't work at all with a non-AT&T card, though. But, since I don't go over there much anyway, it doesn't hurt me at all to pay for five or six minutes of international roaming calls (which is all I've used in a combined four weeks in France and Germany).

So, anyway...

The iPhone does everything that I use my Pearl for, but it doesn't piss me off in the process. Of course I want one.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I heard on the radio yesterday that the EDGE network mysteriously doubled in speed. Shocking!

I've read mixed reports on that, too, but most often they agree that it's gotten measurably faster since midday Friday.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Comfortably happy with my Razr and still not buying the Apple mantra for computers, mp3 players or cell phones).

An MP3 player should never cost more than $120 (it's a hard drive with play buttons for goodness sakes).

And I would never pay more than $200 for a brand new phone.

The way Apple rapes it's customers with its pricing is obnoxious.

Plus, forcing you to have AT&T? no thanks.