Anyone Know Anything About Duodiscs?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HellsKitchenmanNYC, Aug 19, 2009.

1. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes I searched on Google but found nothing relevant. I had a huge stack of what looked like home made records from Bubbe's basement. Some I had to throw away despite the labels' listings b/c a search claimed they wee all Highly flammable. I can't read the penmanship that's penciled on the label...maybe a doctor wrote it lol. And of course they smell like an old basement if you hold them to your face. I just want to make sure they also are not flammable. I'm guessing 40s/early 50s.
    Thx in advance. Maybe someone in your family also had them and you have more info!

2. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Some of them are only 'highly flammable' in the way that pre-1951 motion picture film is; that is to say, they use a nitrocellulose base which will burn like a motherfucker if exposed to a naked flame, and which can break down and/or combust over time or when exposed to heat for a prolonged time. If you keep them cool, they should be fine... generally they're thought to have a life of at least 100 years, and most (as with old movie film) flake, crumble, or ooze away gradually, letting you know well in advance that there's a problem.

My point, though, is that they aren't likely to just suddenly spring into flames.. unless you leave them somewhere hot, especially in direct sunlight.

Supposedly the older discs all have a nitrocellulose base, while later ones use cellulose acetate (same material as safety film). Precisely when this change happened though, is probably key to knowing how 'safe' the discs are. I've never seen or handled them, but have dealt with plenty of nitrate film... which always carries a kind of chemically-meets-herbal aroma that can really catch in your throat if it's starting to break down.

If you start choking when you sniff 'em, you may have your answer. :tongue: :rolleyes:

3. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nah they just smell like an old basement. That kinda film info I knew as I used to make tons of super 8/ 16mm films and edit them. But the old record stuff I don't know about. I'm gonna put the last of these records I have in the fridge crisper drawer till I find out what they are. I'll try to play them this weekend.

4. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ahh I saw some of those links but thot it would be something else..lemme go check them now Thx to you also Mickey! :smile:

5. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    There must have been tons of these 'homemade' record companies back in the day. The Flickr account DD has a diff label. know there were MeloDiscs etc... The label on mine had like a line drawing of a globe and the word Duodisc. Lemme ck the rest of the links...

6. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mickey Lee did you delete yr posts? Why?!!!!

7. MickeyLee

Gold Member

like this? clickie

i found a pretty good article on Labelography on Home Recording Discs.

i can send the links, Mr. Hells

#7 MickeyLee, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  8. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

If you mean like this:

http://www.phonozoic.net/recordio/duo.jpg

....then that seems to be the earliest Duodisc design, pre-1948.

*blinked and missed MickeyLee's post(s) entirely* :frown1:

Edit... except that last one right above me now. :rolleyes: :wink:

9. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes and she doesn't take PM's...ack! ok will check the newer listings. Hugs and thx all around!

10. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    exactly! and please do!!!!!

11. MickeyLee

Gold Member

link PM sent Mr. Hells.

thank ya for posting this, i had no idea what a DuoDisc was before i went snooping about. found a few good places to kill time/learn something at.

Draft saved Draft deleted