Anyone out there try an e-cig?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Sam Rockswell, Sep 4, 2011.

1. D_Sam Rockswell

D_Sam Rockswell New Member

If so what was it like? Thinking about trying them out. To see if they'll help me quit. So was just wondering.

2. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I work with a guy who uses one. He's been using it about nine months now. It seems to work for him.

3. D_Andy_Conda

D_Andy_Conda Account Disabled

I found them really unpleasant. I don't know whether you've tried the bag of tabacco that you put between your gums? It sort of has the taste to it. Very strong, cinnamon-like injection and something that would make me turn to cigarettes well before it would make me quit :frown1:

4. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

People smoke because they're too green to burn.

True facts.:wink::tongue:

5. D_Sam Rockswell

lol That sounds like a song or somethin. And an awesome one to boot lol.

Thinkin about goin cold turkey but really don't wanna. Need to, but don't wanna. So far i've found about 20 to 30 different types of e-cigs and am very very confused. Cause apparently there's dippers and then the regular cartridge smokers. Err yeah heavily confused lol.

So any info is appreciated.

#5 D_Sam Rockswell, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm still testing mine out (bought it yesterday). My initial response was that the taste is just not right, but maybe it just needs some getting used to. Before I go to sleep I always spend some time reading a book, and last night I puffed on the e-cig instead of getting up, throwing something on and going outside for a smoke. It was actually kinda pleasant.

7. D_Sam Rockswell

Well that was a first for teh multi-quote (snort) i feel like a techie now :p

But naw i've never tried the bag or anything. Seems like i'm better off having not, thanks for the tip.

So far i've heard about a million different things regarding the taste. I was looking at the Blu line of e-cigs but apparently they suck big time when it comes to taste. Some have said it tastes like an old cigarette butt pulled out of an ash tray and some said it tastes like beer. Which really throws me off lol.

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    The one I bought tastes somewhat like what nicotine patches smell like.

ETA: I have a friend who has a menthol one, and it tastes better: too bad I don't like menthols.

9. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I bought one a few months ago and it's amazing!

It came with a pack of tobacco flavoured cartridges and a mix pack.

The tobacco ones are vile, but I've been a menthol smoker for a good few years now anyway, so that suited me just fine.

The chocolate was a little how I'd imagine it would smell if I ate chocolate with my head in a bag of dried dog food.

The vanilla wasn't good, but I hate vanilla so that may explain that. My husband found those ones very pleasant.

The menthol ones weren't exactly menthol, they were minty, but not menthol. I love these.

The cherry ones are lovely.

It arrived, I handed my cigs to my husband, and didn't have a cig for a good 3 months, until I ended up with a last min trip away that I couldn't avoid and didn't have enough cartridges to take with me. I bought my cigs while away, came home to a new delivery of cartridges, handed my remaining cigs to my husband again, and went straight back to the e-cig and didn't look back.

10. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Great thread.

I'm curious which brands are being used?

I don't smoke, but I'm trying to convince some close relatives to quit. (My mom, RIP, ended up on an oxygen tank from smoking, so I'm a bit evangelical on the subject.)

I've bought two different branks of e-cigs for family members... and they weren't the greatest.

So... which brands seem to be working?

11. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    roflmao

12. Kotchanski

Albums:
    I use the HALO e-cig by Smokers Angel.

13. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

I'm also interested in these but $100 just seems like a lot to spend if I'm going to end up throwing them out.

Intrigue said in another thread that they'd worked for him.

14. Kotchanski

Albums:
    The one I'm using is currently on sale for £20 with either 10 or 12 cartridges with it. The refills are pretty cheap too. Apparently they ship internationally, but there are restrictions - They didn't say specifically what those restrictions were though.

Depending on the delivery charge, it could be a much cheaper way of finding out if it works for you.

15. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmm, sounds interesting. I recently started smoking again (foolishly) and am now trying to re-give up, lol.

16. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Good idea, but I suspect that it wouldn't be any cheaper once I paid the duty/tax on it. It might still be worth contacting customs to see how much they would charge.

17. luka82

Gold Member

They are just too bloody expensive in Serbia. Regular cigs are rather cheap here, on the other hand. You can buy a pack of Marlboro`s for like 1.7 euros here.

18. Daichii

Daichii New Member

Albums:
    *walks in store buys pack of drina no filter, guarana/knjaz milos*

19. luka82

Gold Member

Ahahaha! Dad is that you? LOL
    How in the hell can you know all this?:)))

20. lucky8

Gold Member

I bought one for like $70 and it was so-so. I got the Magma E-cig from Volcano. I bought it solely to try to quit smoking...8 months later I'm still a smoker. You need to find one that produces a lot of vapor so you get a similar throat hit in comparison to a real cigarette. You also need to experiment with different levels of nicotine to see which 'level' is best for you. It's nice because it mimics everything associated with a cigarette addiction...the feel of a cig between your fingers (although a metal, much heavier cig), the oral aspect of the addiction, being able to inhale and exhale a vapor and so on. Plus when stressed out at the office I can just take a puff at my desk if I need to.

The downside is there are other addictive substances in cigarettes than just nicotine, so even though it does relieve the nicotine addiction, many times I find myself still craving an actual cigarette after using it. Plus, sometimes you'll need to hit it for 15-20 minutes before you're craving is gone. To me, the most annoying part is I'll get a good rip, then I go to hit it again and I get nothing. It's really annoying and doesn't aid in trying to calm a nicotine craving in the slightest because after awhile, it will just start to piss you off.

Quitting smoking is mostly about will-power though, so who knows, maybe you'll have better luck. I've pretty much accepted that I need to get on Chantix to quit

Draft saved Draft deleted