anyone play an instrument?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

jerkin4-10: thought it would be fun to find out some other things about the people in this little group...

who plays an instrument...that do you play...are you proficient or just for fun?

i play guitar...have 6...4 electrics, 1 bass and an acoustic...also play keys...mainly sequencing stuff to jam with...im pretty good on guitar...can hold my own with most people...keyboards is another matter...ive always relyed way too much on the sequencer...hehehe...used to play in bands years ago...but kept the wife...

anyone else?

2. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: I was in a local band in college with what I thought was a cleverly geeky name (it was the 80's): U238-Special. Not only was it a concatenation of "U2" and "38 Special", but U238 is an isotope of uranium, which is a . . . "heavy metal". ;)

We got as far as a couple of paying gigs, one of which was captured to video (and boy is it embarrassing!). I played keys and bass, sang lead vocals on one song and back-up on a few others. I wanted to play the guitar, but my fingers are too short to reach across the neck.

More eruditely, I was a music major at the time, and studied violin and clarinet (but I truly sucked at both of these!)

Today, I own a hammered dulcimer that I used to play around with, but the danged thing is so hard to keep tuned that it's more trouble than it's worth unless you're going to work at it seriously.

3. Imported

Gold Member

jerkin4-10: wow...dude...hammered dulcimer...im impressed..that takes some skill to play...knew a woman back in arkansas that played...she was awesome...but damn what an instrument... :)

4. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: [quote author=jerkin4-10 link=board=99;num=1073858496;start=0#2 date=01/11/04 at 14:45:39]wow...dude...hammered dulcimer...im impressed..that takes some skill to play...knew a woman back in arkansas that played...she was awesome...but damn what an instrument... :)[/quote]

Heh. Don't be impressed. Having one and playing one are totally different things. :) I guess it makes this city boy look a little more authentic up here in the mountains, though. Heh.

5. Imported

Gold Member

SpeedoGuy: I've been known to pluck a five sting bluegrass banjo.

SG

6. Imported

Gold Member

Inwood: Damn you, damn you, damn you

I thought I had buried those horrid memories of that stupid trombone. But NOOOOOOO you had to ask if anyone play instruments. You couldn't just put up a thread about Hiliary and some conspiracy theory. NOOOOOO you had to talk about musical instruments.

Well damn you, damn you, damn you to hell.

:eek:

7. Imported

Gold Member

jerkin4-10: inwood...sorry bout that brother...LOL...most people dont have bad memories about playing the instruments...just about the needleing they take for playing the instruments...LOL...both my daughters were 'band jocks' too...

speedo guy...YOU!!! a BANJO?...hey...wait a minute...were you the guy on the porch in 'deliverance'?...LMAO...j/k

8. Imported

Gold Member

gtkroy: Piano, Sax, Flute, Fife, Recorder, Learning Guitar and I sing.

:D la la la laaaaa :-*

9. Imported

Gold Member

quitehairy: Bassoon and contra-bassoon.
    Who's blowing a bigger horn?

10. Imported

Gold Member

jerkin4-10: wow...look at all the 'band jocks'...i know for my daughters it was an extremely positive experience...my oldest daughter played in pres clintons inaugural parade in 1997 i think...russellville arkansas high school band...best in arkansas...and hairy...my youngest daughter made all region on the contra.....good going you guys!...keep it up...

11. Imported

Gold Member

Thumper_10x7_CA: I just started to learn to play the banjo!  I'm so excited!  My goal is to be able to play dueling banjos with my dad (though he'd be on guitar) by next Christmas!   How fun is that? ;D
    I'm not even from the mid-west, I live in Southern California!   :D

12. Imported

Gold Member

jerkin4-10: wow...2 banjo guys...i met mike snyder one time...i think he was the world champion at time time...that dude is an AWESOME banjo picker...a real down to earth country guy...i think he was on hee haw too..LOL

13. Imported

Gold Member

Thumper_10x7_CA: Hey SpeedoGuy, you could teach me! ;)

A bit OT but when I was a kid my dad would get out his guitar at Christmas and we'd sing Christmas Carols. The one that was always fun, and is really funny, is to sing "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" to the tune of "Ghost Rides in the Sky." Try it, starting with the first verse. It really works! I even got the choir I sang in to include it in our Christmas repetoire!

14. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: [quote author=Thumper_10x7_CA link=board=99;num=1073858496;start=0#12 date=01/12/04 at 12:55:08] The one that was always fun, and is really funny, is to sing "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" to the tune of "Ghost Rides in the Sky." [/quote]

Heh. Another good one is to sing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "Gilligan's Island". ;)

15. Imported

Gold Member

jerkin4-10: there used to be a MIDI program with tons of songs installed..and you could select a song and play it in any 'style' you wanted to...like...purple haze play reggae style...

16. Imported

Gold Member

SpeedoGuy: [quote author=jerkin4-10 link=board=99;num=1073858496;start=0#6 date=01/11/04 at 20:31:20]

speedo guy...YOU!!! a BANJO?...hey...wait a minute...were you the guy on the porch in 'deliverance'?...LMAO...j/k[/quote]

LOL. Naw, that was my twin brother who's the better looking of us two. (takes bow).

Curiously enough, that famous dueling banjos scene in the movie "Deliverance" was one of several episodes that influenced me to pick up a banjo and learn to play it. Another inspiration came from listening to Steve Martin's 1970s comedy album entitled "Get Small." Steve Martin is a fabulously talented 5 stringer who rips off some splendid banjo riffs on that record. Its really good stuff.

Thumper:

I had a little guitar experience when I learned the Scruggs style of 5 string banjo picking. Its not so hard to begin to learn but getting fluent is a different story. You won't need to learn to read music since banjo notes can be represented in a form of dot script called "tablature." I took some lessons from a music instructor (who also tempted me to learn to play steel guitar but that's another story) but I learned alot of it on my own by purchasing some tablature books and practicing every night. It wasn't long before I was playing stuff like "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" and the theme from the "Beverly Hillbillys" It was great fun.

have fun

SG

17. Imported

Gold Member

jerkin4-10: dont forget the 'orange blossum special'

18. Imported

Gold Member

norseman: There was actually an older version of this thread under Meet and Greet, but I haven't the foggiest idea how to link to it....

As for myself, Keyboards (piano/organ), acoustic guitar, and harp. I seem to remember that last time around we noticed that a HUGE number of hung guys were also very musical, An interesting connection.

Norse

19. Imported

Gold Member

tomarctus: Currently: pipe organ, harpsichord, clavichord, fortepiano.
    In the past: flute, viola, voice (the original instrument).
    All self taught.
    I built pipe organs in 17th and 18th century style for 30 years. I'm currently not working, :(, due to disability, and just closed my shop. I still enjoy playing keyboard.
    I even play my organ, literally and figuratively.
    :eek:

20. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Besides being so proficient in playing my organ (with either hand), I sing bass I in symphony chorus. Thanks for pointing out the voice being the original instrument, tomarctus.

Luke :D

Draft saved Draft deleted