Anyone reading Ayn Rand ATLAS SHRUGGED

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_eleveinchbreeder, Oct 21, 2009.

1. B_eleveinchbreeder

B_eleveinchbreeder New Member

I heard on the news today that ATLAS SHRUGGED is now the most read book in the country (USA) right now. I am wonder how many are reading it and what has prompted you to start this epic novel?

I read it years ago, and started reading it a few weeks ago when my buddy Matt Sinclair of the Washington Redskins told me he bought the book for all the linebackers. I thought what a brave man.

Matt has since retired from the NFL as of a few weeks ago.

2. scorpiokc

scorpiokc New Member

I read Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead years and years ago, haven't heard anything about it being "most read" lately. WTF is up with that, I wonder?

3. Florida Boy

Gold Member

I read her books years ago. I always admired her way of thought. I'm not sure I wish to tackle any of her books now. I wonder why there is so much interest now.

4. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    I read her books in my teens. Don't have any particular interest in them now.

5. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Atlas Shrugged is a big load of donkey shit, have fun reading her treatise on selfishness and how to become a human douchenozzle.

6. voyeuristic

voyeuristic New Member

Albums:
    I hate that woman and the "fuck everyone over; just get yours" philosophy she euphemistically calls "objectivism".

#6 voyeuristic, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Her books are humerous. *if* that is.. they're not taken seriously and treated as the sort of stoney faced satire i suspect they're meant to be be treated with..

8. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    Bioshock caused it's popularity methinks.

9. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Overrated.

10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged in ninth grade and told my English teacher that Ayn Rand was full of crap. Unfortunately, teach was a big fan and gave me a C on what was probably my best book report ever. At least my Mum agreed with me. :cool:

11. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have not read it, but I can tell you how it was reviewed by Officer Barbrady of South Park: "Yes, at first I was happy to be learning how to read. It seemed exciting and magical. But then I read this: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I read every last word of this garbage, and because of this piece of shit, I'm never reading again!"

12. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I didn't know you could read.

13. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Rand is trite, obvious garbage that's only saving grace is a certain heavy-handed flair she had with words. Anyone who, as an adult, is seduced by her tenets of Objectivism is in serious need of a compassion transplant.

14. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
  15. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    According to some woman whose name I forgot that wrote a book on Ayn Rand, and was on the Daily Show, she basically set out to write some propaganda for the right, since the left had much more at the time I guess. She also notes that the popularity of the book goes up when Democrats are in office usually. Ayn Rand grew up in a communist nation, and all of her father's property was taken by the state, so I can understand her being to the right like she is. She is also an atheist, which I find interesting. I tried reading it once, but I never got into it, I should probably try again so I can make more solid comments. However I will say that it is a fiction novel, so I've always wondered why it has been toted as propaganda for capitalism and such. I've often heard people use it as a defense, saying what could happen if we become more liberal or blah etc. That just makes me want to punch them and yell "IT'S A FUCKING NOVEL!" Are you saying if I go to that one train station, on platform 13 and 1/2 or whatever the fuck it was, I could go to Hogwarts?

I've also heard that there are a lot of sex scenes. I wonder if your typical proper conservative has a copy, but with all the sex blacked out like a Reagan tape transcript. :wink:

16. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Can't see the OP, so I have no context for the thread...

I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed reading Rand’s work.
    Rand's individualist ideology and heroism may be distasteful to some, that’s fine. However, as works of literature, they were a little repetitive in theme but decent reads.

17. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" struck me as a collossal, self-righteous bore.

18. sargon20

Gold Member

Is it any wonder America has run off the rails?
    One of Rand’s most famous devotees is Alan Greenspan, the former chairman of the Federal Reserve, whose memoir, “The Age of Turbulence,”

The Alan Greenspan Timeline

Greenspan begins to develop a serious interest in Ayn Rand's philosophical ideas, which will later be known as Objectivism. He attends regular Saturday night salons at Rand's apartment, which include the opportunity to read draft sections of Rand's forthcoming novel, Atlas Shrugged.

19. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I once heard a guy say that he re-reads Atlas Shrugged every year.

The only thing that makes the idea of reading the thing at all attractive to me is that doing so would put me in a position to say how bad it is, rather than simply accepting the opinions of people whose judgment I trust, all of whom share the opinion of Officer Barbrady (quoted earlier).

20. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Funny you mention this...I just got around to starting to play BioShock, and that was the parallel I drew immediately.

Draft saved Draft deleted