Anyone See Joaquin Phoenix On Letterman Last Night?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

:eek:mfg::eek:mfg::eek:mfg:

okay, either he is seriously fucked up, or is doing the best acting job of playing a "disheveled weird guy on drugs on a talk show" ever in the history of the genre.

he could really use a hairbrush and a bit of a shave as well

it is pretty funny, but if it is real, it is sad.

sort of reminds me of Crispin Glover on LEtterman, just the exact opposite mood altering substance

Hollywood Tuna - Video Viewer- Joaquin Phoenix On Letterman

best line ever: "and Joaquin I'm sorry you couldn't be here tonight"

what do you think the odds are it is part of some bizarre "acting/hoax/" thing he is doing?

#1 Flashy, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. mjcp

mjcp New Member

Albums:

Indeed.

It's a con. Casey Affleck has been following him, filming his "music career." They most likely saw "Borat" too many times and decided to make one of their own.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

true...but how vapid and self-absorbed does one have to be to do that silliness and claim it somehow as an artistic project? (hmmm...celebrity)

it is either a really pathetic hoax/dumb art project, or a really sad decline.

if it is real, i would not be surprised to see him wind up just like his older brother sadly

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I thought they were cruel.

But I don't expect much from Letterman - he's a spanner.

5. Flashy

Gold Member

i loved Letterman way back in the day (in the early and mid 80s, pre-1993 when he went mainstream)

but in all fairness...what was he supposed to do? they were taping, Letterman has a live audience to entertain...if the whole thing is a joke, then there is no cruelty, and if he is truly that fucked up, he has to take responsibility for walking out there like that, which is just asking for trouble, like when Farrah Fawcett did it.

6. biguyli23

biguyli23 Member

Albums:
    man is he confused. personally i really enjoy all his movies. and my girl is absolutely in love with him. after she saw an article in our local paper about his music career, she thought he was crazy. i mean to give up on the acting all together is probably a bad idea. although the idea of it being some kind of hoax sounds plausible to me. i hope hes fakin it just so i can see some more movies

7. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Laughing at somebody's confusion is not entertaining. Sure, it is a difficult thing for an interviewer, to be put in a position like that, but he could have handled in so much better. Instead he cheapened himself by trying to confuse the man further, then being cruel about the music thing.

The way I was brought up that is tantamount to bullying. Not cool.

8. lucky8

Gold Member

Probably just trying to portray a certain image for a role he's doing in an upcoming movie...kind of reminded me of Benicio Del Toro, another rather strange dude

9. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Joachin was hilarious and Letterman played the perfect clueless stooge.

10. Flashy

Gold Member

yeah, but what can you expect? this is not some poor person bewildered on the street that you are making fun of...

this is a celebrity, coming on the show to promote his film. He has obligations to the show, he has obligations to the movie producer and the director and the studio to promote it.

It is a comedy based show, with a host who is known for a quick and sharp wit.

If you walk onto the stage in front of a couple hundred people, and you got yourself fucked up about it, then you are pretty much asking to be embarrassed.

Letterman gave him plenty of chances, leading him into easy questions, helping with the names of his co-stars who he could barely remember and such, and the guy was just zonked.

If it is real, maybe this will cause him to get help, if it is a hoax, it is just stupid.

He didn't try to confuse him further...he helped him figure out the names of his costars.

As for being cruel about the "music thing"...well should it have been taken seriously? A messed up guy who no longer acts, now fancies himself a hip hop musician and producer? People laughed at Vanilla Ice because of the ridiculousness, and MC Hammer when he tried to go gangster and Mili Vanilli...you cannot expect to have your new "hip hop careeer" taken seriously when you show up in a semi-coherent near comatose state, looking like Jim Morrison *AFTER* he OD'd, and not even figuring out how to brush his hair.

Letterman could have been *FAR* worse.

11. lucky8

Gold Member

Maybe you guys didn't hear him right after he said he was doing hip hip, he "that was supposed to be a joke"

...my bad, he said "is this a joke"

#11 lucky8, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  12. Flashy

Gold Member

maybe you didn't hear him right...when they started laughing he said "is this a joke?" obviously making it clear that he was not joking...he was pissed at them laughing at him saying he was doing hip hop:smile:

13. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    He was either in character or on drugs...or both. Either way he didn't make himself look worse than christian bale.

14. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

He's fucked up - something weird there.

15. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you want fluff interviews and unoffensive humor (complete with Monica Lewinsky jokes 10 years late), you watch Jay Leno.

If you want tough interviews and wacky humor, you watch Dave.
    Dave's been on for decades, and he's always been like this. You come on his show pumped up on goofballs (or pretending to be) and he's going to see it as disrespectful and make comments like that. That's his TV personality, and his audience loves it.

Show up to Leno like that and you won't even be allowed on the stage.

Oh, and it was quite entertaining.

I know. I'm an absolute monster.

16. AG08

Gold Member

What a sad, sad waste of talent (if this is legit). It really bothers me when I see people squander their gifts. I hope he doesn't end up like his brother - another sad loss of talent. There are so many gifted actors out there that would kill to have the same level of success that he has had.

17. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    He is channeling Andy Kaufman.

18. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

Wait, Joaquin Phoenix has talent? When did that happen?

19. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm totally wondering if there isn't some kind of inherited gene which leads to mental illness, It was a strange ending to River's life and maybe his little brother is headed down the same street. I can't for the life of me understand the beard and messed up hair, it almost looked like a mask and wig he was wearing. I saw a video somewhere of him on stage rapping and it really sucked, can't remember where it was though. Even the day of his announcement it went bad fast, he got unset and stormed off because the interviewer asked a redundant question, like are you serious or something like that.

20. AG08

Gold Member

Just because you don't like a particular actor, it doesn't mean that they are untalented. He has been nominated for 2 academy awards. He's not the greatest actor ever, but you have to give the guy credit for what he has achieved.

Draft saved Draft deleted