Anyone try a low carb diet before?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If so, did you have any success?

I've tried it twice and the first time I lost a lot of weight real quick. This time I lost 7 pounds in 5 days. I have more energy and my arm muscles are stronger.

I am lucky because a doctor told me that I have very low bad cholesterol and it is genetic.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sure you will lose weight on a low carb diet, but that weight will IMMEDIATELY freturn when you do resume carbs(been there done that)....I used to weigh 232 and now weigh between 170-180. I NEVER went on a diet. I fashioned a healthy diet that I could stick with for the rest of my life. And discovered exercise. If calories in is less than calories out, you will lose weight.

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oooh carbs are my best friend... I have tried cutting them out, but I just can't do it.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sure you will lose weight on a low carb diet, but that weight will IMMEDIATELY freturn when you do resume carbs(been there done that)....I used to weigh 232 and now weigh between 170-180. I NEVER went on a diet. I fashioned a healthy diet that I could stick with for the rest of my life. And discovered exercise. If calories in is less than calories out, you will lose weight.

The no sugar aspect of the low carb diet will help me a lot. Once I lose the weight that I need to lose I will introduce carbs and try to eat healthier.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
You can go 50-50 (or whatever you need) carbs and veggies and do a bit of workout and exercise.

Some folks who tend towards diabetes can develop "kaytosis", (sp?) which is a bad breath symptom if they plunge too hard into a low carb diet. Mouthwash doesn't help.

So read up, ask questions, check in with a doctor.

My wife went into the diet, got some of the "bad breath" and started to nibble on small soda crackers and matzohs, which made most of it disappear.

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The no sugar aspect of the low carb diet will help me a lot. Once I lose the weight that I need to lose I will introduce carbs and try to eat healthier.

That won't work though, you'll shoot right back up again. If you do reintroduce carbs, you need to keep them minimal. It's the only way you'll keep the weight off. I've lost huge amounts of weight with low carb dieting, but you have to take some of the principles of it with you and follow them forever. So now what I do is look for low carb versions of everything at the grocery store. The food selection is really not as limited as you may think if you do that. I eat all kinds of wraps, pitas, bars, shakes, and of course all different meats, fish, and vegetables. If I need to cheat (no more than twice a week), I pop a couple of carb blockers beforehand. It's all very doable, but you have to be smart about it.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
It doesn't work! Trust me, I'm a dietician in spé (still studying!)
Just pay attention too your intake of fat (It's important to use unsaturated fat because it's a better fat for your veins, with saturated fat you can get easy artheroscleroses. unsaturated fats are vegetable oils like olive oil), your carbs and proteins. And the most important is: do sports! 30 minutes at least for adults, more is even better!
For more advice: visit a dietician.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That won't work though, you'll shoot right back up again. If you do reintroduce carbs, you need to keep them minimal. It's the only way you'll keep the weight off. I've lost huge amounts of weight with low carb dieting, but you have to take some of the principles of it with you and follow them forever. So now what I do is look for low carb versions of everything at the grocery store. The food selection is really not as limited as you may think if you do that. I eat all kinds of wraps, pitas, bars, shakes, and of course all different meats, fish, and vegetables. If I need to cheat (no more than twice a week), I pop a couple of carb blockers beforehand. It's all very doable, but you have to be smart about it.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to look into carb blockers. The thing that pisses me off is that now that the low card trend has passed my supermarket no longer offers a low carb section.

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to look into carb blockers. The thing that pisses me off is that now that the low card trend has passed my supermarket no longer offers a low carb section.

That's a shame, but do check out other places to see if they have sections like that, because it is worth it. Even if you have to go out to eat, you can always order steak and vegetables, or a cheesy/chicken type dish. And if you drink (as I do) remember to stick to spirits (vodka, unsweetened rum etc) as they all have zero carbs. Mix that with a little diet coke or whatever and you're golden. If you need to have something sweet, jello with or without cool whip and a sugar free popsicle usually does it for me (I don't have a big sweet tooth). So you see, if you expand your horizons as much as you can within the confines of no-carb, you're very rarely stuck for choices. People think it's all bacon and pork-rinds all day, but that's not true at all - I doubt that much fat would be healthy for anyone in any circumstances.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That's a shame, but do check out other places to see if they have sections like that, because it is worth it. Even if you have to go out to eat, you can always order steak and vegetables, or a cheesy/chicken type dish. And if you drink (as I do) remember to stick to spirits (vodka, unsweetened rum etc) as they all have zero carbs. Mix that with a little diet coke or whatever and you're golden. If you need to have something sweet, jello with or without cool whip and a sugar free popsicle usually does it for me (I don't have a big sweet tooth). So you see, if you expand your horizons as much as you can within the confines of no-carb, you're very rarely stuck for choices. People think it's all bacon and pork-rinds all day, but that's not true at all - I doubt that much fat would be healthy for anyone in any circumstances.

One of my favorite desserts on this diet is instant sugar free chocolate pudding. I make it with half and half. The heavier the dairy the less sugar it has. I also like to add whipped cream and make a chocolate mousse out of it.

I don't drink too often but if I do want a drink I will have dark rum with diet coke.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

The trend has passed because it doesn't work.

One of my favorite desserts on this diet is instant sugar free chocolate pudding. I make it with half and half. The heavier the dairy the less sugar it has. I also like to add whipped cream and make a chocolate mousse out of it.

I don't drink too often but if I do want a drink I will have dark rum with diet coke.

The empty calories in alcohol and all the calories and fat in half-and-half and whipped cream... You might as well just eat sugar. In the end, it's mostly about calories consumed versus calories burned.

Low-carb dieting does induce ketosis, which is why it works so quickly. The problem is that ketosis is really bad for your body. You should be eating to be healthy, not to lose weight fast.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes , I lost 30 lbs and was evil as a snake! I think women crave carbohydrates at a certain point and so it is a daily and uphill battle. I am trying to eat healthier and do some exercise this time. I think developing habits I can keep up are better in the long run.