Anyone Use Virgin Mobile Phone Service?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HellsKitchenmanNYC, Apr 25, 2011.

1. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've been itching for some time to change my service for a cheaper one. I have AT&T on the 40 dollar plan...talk and 200 texts. After all the million various taxes etc and extra texts my bill comes out to almost 80 a month. Was going to switch to MetroPcs and a friend said he had a horrible time outside NYC getting a connection. He said he got a no contract, 40 flat a month program w/Virgin for UNLIMITED talk, text and web and he likes it. He got great reception even in New Hampshire and downloaded a tv show to watch while on the bus on the way there.
    I checked consumer reviews about Virgin and everyone gripes that their customer is atrocious. Having said that I'm thinking most folks that have a good experience don't post reviews but folks that have a bad time usually do.
    I really like the idea of their plan and esp. no contract even if I do have to buy a new phone.
    Any comments? Ideas?
    Thx in advance!

2. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    can you hear my now?
    go with verizon I am on a fixed income and 2 friends went in on a cheap plan look into it

3. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thx for the comment but I realllly don't want to do that. I don't want to have to rely on other people to keep up their end of the deal. I am curious tho id anyone else has Virgin service.

4. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I used to, years ago. It was not bad.

I have Cricket now. Their Android phones are $140 or so, and the monthly rate, $55, includes unlimited international texting, web browsing, email, and no roaming in the lower 48 states.

5. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have friends on Virgin Mobile who say that it works well for them. They do not travel very often, however, so I do not know the coverage in other areas - but it works very well locally. I have used the web on their Android phones and the speeds were good.

I have read the customer reviews, and it seems like once you get past having the service established and the phone activated, it is a good value. I have considered trying it myself.

The part I do not understand has to do with the roaming: Virgin uses Sprint service. Sprint subscribers have free roaming to other networks when the Sprint network is unavailable. If you compare the Sprint and Virgin mobile coverage maps, it appears that Virgin ONLY allows you to use the Sprint network. It appears that there would be many dead spots because of the inability to roam. I live in the south, so rural area dead zones can be an issue.

I would like to hear an opinion from a Virgin subscriber who has traveled to different parts of the country, and has experienced the coverage. This is what keeps me from trying it...

I'll have to look Cricket up - sounds good.

6. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Virgin coverage map is confusing. I thot roaming charges were a thing of the past but maybe not?

7. ronin001

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a Virgin phone and a cheep prepaid plan that i use for weekends, when i put the daily Black Berry down.

In NY the reception on virgin is good and out in the country it is still pretty good. SO for the money it is a good choice. The signal is not quite as strong as Verizon if you were to compare

8. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That's correct. Neither Virgin nor Sprint charge roaming fees. Sprint allows free roaming (your phone indicates that you are off network, and you have limited data transfer,) but Virgin does not allow roaming so when you are off of Sprint's network, your service must drop out. That is what I understand, but still not sure how it works.

Compare the Virgin and Sprint maps, and it is easier to understand.

Good to know; and I am sure the terrain up there limits reception more than here where it is extremely flat.

9. Dr. Algonquin

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've been using Virgin since last summer. I'm very happy with it. I have the $25 a month plan which is 300 talk minutes (I hardly ever talk on the phone) and everything else unlimited. I don't travel often but in January I visited family and my phone worked the whole time. I wasn't surprised about having coverage during layovers in major cities but getting service in and around Elgin, OK I was worried about. I also haven't had any issues with customer service but I really haven't had to use it. I've done all my activating (currently on my third VM phone) and other dealings through their website.

10. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thx for the input it's looking more positive now. I want the Optimus phone w/the 40.00 plan.

11. Dr. Algonquin

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have the Optimus. It's only got one downside, it's one of the Android 2.2 phones that DOESN'T support flash :( but considering the price of the phone without contract and the service it's still a great deal.

12. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    I had a Virgin phone and it was just fine until I found out that because I'm on disability I could get free phone through that plan called reachoutwireless.com and now I have 250 minutes a month free which is plenty because I don't use phone to get Internet.

13. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok I took the plunge. I'm just waiting for them to port over my phone number. This Optimus phone is completely different than my AT&T Razor (which I loved) and does TONS more and will probably take me a month to learn how to use it. But I love the idea of having the net on my phone and at half the price of my last plan w/no net.....I hope I'm gonna love it!

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I've used Virgin Mobile for nearly 7 years now. Currently have a $40/month plan that gives me 1200 Minutes & unlimited everything else on the LG Optimus V Android. I know I'l eventually go iPhone one day. Five other countries have it for Virgin Mobile with plans much more reasonable than Verizon or AT&T, so it will eventually get to the United States. But for now, the Android phone cost me only $199 and I had enough Best Buy gift cards to grab it for less than half the price. Took no time to setup, and I've always loved the coverage. It's too bad I can't use the phone overseas or in a different country.

15. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So now that you've had the phone a little while, how is it? Any problems or notable pluses?

16. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    The service so far is great! Clear reception and the Optimus has SUPER fast internet. Overall so far I'm 100% happy. I got twice as mT or MetroPcs and Verizon and they love it so far also!
    The no contract was a MAJOR draw. The phone was pricey but for a one-shot was well worth the price.

17. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks for posting back. I agree that the phone is pricey, but no contract is attractive and offsets the phone cost to me. I am still considering this service for myself.

I wonder if any of Virgin mobile's phones support tethering, or can be manipulated to do so...

Draft saved Draft deleted