Anyone using a mac ?

hyperionic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm buying the new Macpro.. I'm a motion graphics designer.. so i've got 2 minimacs, an 'old' white imac, 2 G4's, a macbook pro and a G5 (4 proc).. You could say i'm a mac nut. I have used pc's in the past for video and websites but switched to all mac coz i got bored with all the pc hangups and faillures.. I run Boot Camp on my macbook for checking sites on a 'pc'. Mac and PC have good compatibility these days but no way anyone's forcing me back to using a pc.. well.. skull mason could.. :)

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
exactly, most of the time your processors with the mac pro are tied to the EFI and cannot be changed without voiding your warranty, or worse, I've heard from friends that they've tried to upgrade their mac pros and when they install the new quad cores the motherboard doesn't recognize them right and won't utilize all the 4 cores. (i would be super pissed if that happened!!)

Other tricks Apple & PC makers have done, they actually solder the cpu to the motherboard (this especially for notebooks) as opposed to implementing a socket where it can be easily upgraded. Then there's simply locking the cpu so the clock multiplier can't be manipulated.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm buying the new Macpro.. I'm a motion graphics designer.. so i've got 2 minimacs, an 'old' white imac, 2 G4's, a macbook pro and a G5 (4 proc).. You could say i'm a mac nut. I have used pc's in the past for video and websites but switched to all mac coz i got bored with all the pc hangups and faillures.. I run Boot Camp on my macbook for checking sites on a 'pc'. Mac and PC have good compatibility these days but no way anyone's forcing me back to using a pc.. well.. skull mason could.. :)

too bad I can't i hate pcs. I've been in a mac family since I came out the womb

philme

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have the previous Mac Pro. I also have a Macbook to carry around and an eMac in my kitchen. I am a Systems administrator so I use a Windows desktop, Windows servers at work.

By the way, OS X is not a Linux distro, it's Darwin with a UI. More a derivitive of Unix. I also repair Macs and find them quite repairable. I often buy broken Macs to repair and sell them at a profit. You just have to know what you're doing.

I like our Ubuntu and Red Hat boxes at work, but definitely prefer the support of OS X over the Linux distros we use. I also prefer it over Solaris.

That being said, I DO have Vista (gasp) installed on the Mac Pro, but only for playing games. I love games, but still loathe to boot into Windows for that purpose. I may have to find something else to be interested in ;-).

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
I have the previous Mac Pro. I also have a Macbook to carry around and an eMac in my kitchen. I am a Systems administrator so I use a Windows desktop, Windows servers at work.

By the way, OS X is not a Linux distro, it's Darwin with a UI. More a derivitive of Unix. I also repair Macs and find them quite repairable. I often buy broken Macs to repair and sell them at a profit. You just have to know what you're doing.

I like our Ubuntu and Red Hat boxes at work, but definitely prefer the support of OS X over the Linux distros we use. I also prefer it over Solaris.

That being said, I DO have Vista (gasp) installed on the Mac Pro, but only for playing games. I love games, but still loathe to boot into Windows for that purpose. I may have to find something else to be interested in ;-).

don't be ashamed, i have it installed on my mac pro, but only for games.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

OK, so it's BSD (Unix) and instead of having Linux programs "port"ed to run on top of that flavor of BSD Unix (like FreeBSD), Mac has it's own programs.

Berkeley Software Distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
www.bsd.org

And besides, I like the logo, enough to use it for my avatar ! :wink:

WellHung83

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Mac Book Air looks amazing, but once I read the specs it sounds like your not getting a lot for your money hardware wise and you are more or less paying for to being ultra portable than anything else. I'm just hoping that when they release it over here in Oz it will make the other MacBooks go down in price so I can afford to finally get a newer one. Right now I am on a G4 notebook and it is on its last legs.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
The Mac Book Air looks amazing, but once I read the specs it sounds like your not getting a lot for your money hardware wise and you are more or less paying for to being ultra portable than anything else. I'm just hoping that when they release it over here in Oz it will make the other MacBooks go down in price so I can afford to finally get a newer one. Right now I am on a G4 notebook and it is on its last legs.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN... I soo wish it would though!

WellHung83

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
NOT GONNA HAPPEN... I soo wish it would though!
It may do though. Over here Apple suddenly dropped the prices of their ipod range considerably a few days before the new ipod classic and touch were released, so I'm hoping that when Air is released here the Mac Books will drop down a bit in price too.