Anyone want to commit to stop smoking with me?

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been planning and thinking about stopping for a few months now. I know from previous attempts that I will have grumpy moments so I decided to wait until after my parents go back to the UK. I don't want to spoil the rest of their holiday. :smile:

So, I'm stopping a week tomorrow. Monday 18th of January. Does anyone who has been thinking about it want to stop with me? We can share experiences and support each other in this thread.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I should add that no way am I trying to convince anyone to join me I just thought there might be others who are ready to quit too. No-one will quit for any reason other than they want to themselves.

Ric1

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks for that. I plan to use this thread to help me when I have "bad" moments. It could be interesting :smile:
yep, deep breathing is good as is orange juice as that taste slashes with smoking making it unplatable also comibation NRT is the best bet a patch and gum appears to be the best.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yep, deep breathing is good as is orange juice as that taste slashes with smoking making it unplatable also comibation NRT is the best bet a patch and gum appears to be the best.

Last time I found I got horrific nightmares as a side effect of the patches and lozenges helped a lot. I'm going to try the patches again but I also have a plentiful supply of gum, lozenges and Niquitin minis.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I wish you the best of luck. I'm planning on quitting myself in the near future. I'm going to be busy the next 6-8 weeks and can't afford to be a homicidal bitch maniac right now.

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I had my last smoke Tuesday night (Jan 5th). That day was my orientation for college, and I learned that they have a "no smoking on campus" rule. I figured, may as well get used to it in the few days before classes start (which is tomorrow, Jan 11th). I have to say the first three or four days were the toughest, but I kinda cheated. I bought a bottle of Tylenol PM and when I wasn't at work (and couldn't smoke anyway), I just took a pill and napped away my cravings. I bought a bunch of apples and oranges to nibble on after meals (a big smoking time for me). I still have moments when I think about heading to the store for some, but knowing I already put these past few days into it makes it seem like a waste. And I'm so glad I stuck to it. Good luck.
:)

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had my last smoke Tuesday night (Jan 5th). That day was my orientation for college, and I learned that they have a "no smoking on campus" rule. I figured, may as well get used to it in the few days before classes start (which is tomorrow, Jan 11th). I have to say the first three or four days were the toughest, but I kinda cheated. I bought a bottle of Tylenol PM and when I wasn't at work (and couldn't smoke anyway), I just took a pill and napped away my cravings. I bought a bunch of apples and oranges to nibble on after meals (a big smoking time for me). I still have moments when I think about heading to the store for some, but knowing I already put these past few days into it makes it seem like a waste. And I'm so glad I stuck to it. Good luck.

Well done you :smile:

My past experiences taught me that the cravings do not last long at all. If you can distract yourself with something else when you get them you soon forget.

Keep at it and please update us how you are doing as it will help others.

funnyguy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've been planning and thinking about stopping for a few months now. I know from previous attempts that I will have grumpy moments so I decided to wait until after my parents go back to the UK. I don't want to spoil the rest of their holiday. :smile:

So, I'm stopping a week tomorrow. Monday 18th of January. Does anyone who has been thinking about it want to stop with me? We can share experiences and support each other in this thread.

Good luck, Davey! It is sooo hard. I stopped 6 months ago and have on slipped 2 times. After a while one forgets about it, but NOT AT THE beginning! I wish you well! And you, too, Nick8!:biggrin1::biggrin1:

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
BTW, my use of a sleep-aid while quitting tobacco is a mild version of a therapy for heroin addicts. I remember reading about patients getting admitted to hospitals, being put into a coma using ketamine or some other drug on IV, and then being awakened after the physical withdrawal symptoms had passed. It's controversial, and extreme, but I figured its essential theory could be applied to quitting tobacco. So take a three-day weekend off from work and nap your way through the tough craving times.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I have been told that if you wish to stop, you should eat a packet of cigs or maybe a cigar. You'll puke your guts up for a day or two and then never look another one in the face.