Anyone want to commit to stop smoking with me?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks guys. The name needs typing carefully MLB :biggrin1:

I'm gonna use this thread to keep myself updated on my progress and vent when and if it gets tough. You never know it might help someone else one day who wants to quit.

This is day 2 and I woke up much earlier than normal and can't get back to sleep. No worries though as I've plenty to do. Cravings have been fine so far and I'm missing nothing. I'm glad I made the decision to quit.

keep it up D
keep us posted...the support/venting and updates sounds like a good idea...sort of another way of affirmation, blowing off steam, etc...I'll be here to listen - :smile:

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just about to go to bed. That's 48 hours without a smoke. There have been a few tough moments but on the whole they are really not bad and pass quickly. I'm really chuffed that I've gotten 48 hours in so easily considering how heavy my smoking had become.

I've come to realise that a lot of my smokes are habitual and are triggered by certain events. I'm already learning to change my habits to deal with the habitual cravings. For example, straight after dinner I normally do the washing up, then sit and enjoy a smoke out on the terrace, then take the dog for a good walk. Soon as I finish dinner I take the dog for a walk and do the washing up when I come back. I'm looking out for my habitual smokes and changing my routine.

Sorry to harp on in this thread but it's a big big deal for me. Offloading here and getting a bit of support is a great help. Plus, there may be some others who want to stop and if my experiences can help then great. :smile:

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm in the same boat - I'd like to stop, and I can do it for a few days at a time, but then there'll be those times where I'm REALLY tempted; usually when I come home from work or after lunch. When I do smoke, it's only about 3 or 4 a day... but why even do that when I find I'm able to quit for nearly a week at a time? Don't make no sense...

Glad you've made it 48 hours!!! When quitting smoking, that's typically the most difficult time, the first 2 days. Stay the course!! I'm throwing away the rest of my smokes after tonite and I'll try to stay the course too.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Glad you've made it 48 hours!!! When quitting smoking, that's typically the most difficult time, the first 2 days. Stay the course!! I'm throwing away the rest of my smokes after tonite and I'll try to stay the course too.

Please do. If I can encourage and help only 1 more person then that is a great help to me too.

Use this thread to rant if you find it tough at any time. :wink:

Don't throw away you smokes though. I have 12 left in a packet. They are in a drawer for emergencies. When you have none a panic factor can grip you and make things worse. :wink:

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Last night was tough. We went out for dinner with pals then to a few bars. It seemed like everyone in every bar was smoking. At least when we get back to the UK everywhere is non smoking now so it will make things a little easier.

I have found things a little easier today :smile:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm glad to hear you're still resisting temptation, CS. Keep at it. It does get easier after a while.

Keeping a few cigarettes handy is a good idea. The panic when you don't have any at all can be really bad. The hardest part is to say, "I reallly want one, but I'm going to wait ten minutes before I light up."

Good luck with it.

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Last night was tough. We went out for dinner with pals then to a few bars. It seemed like everyone in every bar was smoking. At least when we get back to the UK everywhere is non smoking now so it will make things a little easier.

I have found things a little easier today :smile:

I'm honestly and genuinely so proud of you, because it takes a looot of courage and strength to resist from smoking...

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's me just passed my 5 day mark. Probably not a big deal to most but for me as a 40+ a day smoker for 31 years it's a huge deal.

I've been having a few dizzy/light headed spells tonight. Apparently that's because my brain is getting more oxygen than it is used to. That is one scary fucking thought :eek:

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's great man, and it IS a big deal for you to pass the 5 day mark after smoking as much as you have for that many years... congrats!!! I haven't been doing so well in that dept lately, I have issues with alcohol as well and the 2 of 'em together - ugh - pretty much the yin and the yang. It's so hard to stop them both. But it can be done and I'm convinced I'll do it soon.

London_Calling

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's been just over 2 weeks for me without a fag although I don't tell friends I've given up, I just say I'm not smoking at the moment. For some reason that's not as scarey for me as the thought of never smoking again. I do have one of those plastic nicotine inhalers which helps but I find myself chewing on it now rather than sucking. (I've also gained 5 pounds but we won't go in to that!)

Good luck to everybody else. I know it's tough!

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Please do. If I can encourage and help only 1 more person then that is a great help to me too.

Use this thread to rant if you find it tough at any time. :wink:

Don't throw away you smokes though. I have 12 left in a packet. They are in a drawer for emergencies. When you have none a panic factor can grip you and make things worse. :wink:

I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY! When I quit smoking, I still had about half a pack left. Kept it for probably a month or longer before I finally felt confident that I could throw it away without freaking out. Knowing that I had one there if I decided I really needed it made it that much easier. Not having any at all just makes me crave them that much more.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That's me just passed my 5 day mark. Probably not a big deal to most but for me as a 40+ a day smoker for 31 years it's a huge deal.

I've been having a few dizzy/light headed spells tonight. Apparently that's because my brain is getting more oxygen than it is used to. That is one scary fucking thought :eek:

Nice one! Well done so far. They say the first three days are actually the worst for the cravings and they should start to reduce gradually. If you're anything like I was when I stopped, you're probaby feeling a bit narky now, but that will pass too.

You'll probably do a lot of coughing over the next week or so and will feel a bit below par, but it gets better. If you haven't started going for walks and getting a little more exercise, this is a good time to start, because chances are you'll have the munchies, and if you don't do something to combat them, you risk putting on a pound or ten. On top of that, exercise releases endorphins and you'll feel better too. Not only that, the fresh air will blow out the cobwebs - unless you're at home in Scotland just now, in which case, it will freeze them solid!

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nice one! Well done so far. They say the first three days are actually the worst for the cravings and they should start to reduce gradually. If you're anything like I was when I stopped, you're probaby feeling a bit narky now, but that will pass too.

You'll probably do a lot of coughing over the next week or so and will feel a bit below par, but it gets better. If you haven't started going for walks and getting a little more exercise, this is a good time to start, because chances are you'll have the munchies, and if you don't do something to combat them, you risk putting on a pound or ten. On top of that, exercise releases endorphins and you'll feel better too. Not only that, the fresh air will blow out the cobwebs - unless you're at home in Scotland just now, in which case, it will freeze them solid!

Thanks for all the good advice Viking.

I'm actually not narky at all this time round for a good reason. Each time I feel myself getting a bit wound up or moody I'm saying to myself "Why? This is a good thing you are doing."

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for all the good advice Viking.

I'm actually not narky at all this time round for a good reason. Each time I feel myself getting a bit wound up or moody I'm saying to myself "Why? This is a good thing you are doing."

keep it up D...remember...positive reinforcement...keep listening to the Queen tune we discussed.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm really chuffed to be able to now post that I've now made my first week. :smile:

It's starting to become a bit less of an issue already. :wink: