Anyone want to commit to stop smoking with me?

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How goes it Davey boy?

this should be the 4 week mark roughly...hit us with the good news!!!

I was out last night so couldn't post. We had our leaving party as we head back to the UK at the end of the week. Last night was a month for me and 5 weeks for Paul. There were quite a few smokers in the company last night which made it tough but hey ho we got through it.

Once we get back to the UK at the end of this week it won't be an issue to go for a drink as smoking is now banned in all public places in the UK.

Hey, sorry I’m late to the party. I just stumbled over this thread. I’ll be tobacco-free for 7 years on 26 May and wish I could have helped you guys along. There’s one benefit that hasn’t been mentioned and might encourage you to hang in for another few weeks. After about 2 months of no nicotine, your penis will start to, ahem, thank you. Multiple times a day. Sometimes when it’s appropriate (as in “Dude, you can’t want to fuck me again. We’ve already done it 4 times today”. :mad: ) And sometimes not so much (I don’t know if the worst experience was getting a chubby in a packed subway car :eek5: or making a presentation at work to the board of directors! :eek5:)

You know I have noticed some differences already. Morning wood is a lot more noticeable and needs "dealing with" :smile:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nice one! With any luck, you're over the worst of it now. The thing to watch out for is when you think, "I'm a non-smoker now, so one won't hurt." That was my downfall the first two times I quit.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nice one! With any luck, you're over the worst of it now. The thing to watch out for is when you think, "I'm a non-smoker now, so one won't hurt." That was my downfall the first two times I quit.

I've gone down that route before too Viking. It's a case of never ever having another. Today is 5 weeks for me and honestly the last week has been a breeze. I moved back to the UK in the middle of last week and have no routine here whatsoever. That is making it much easier.

boerkie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
congrats!! just found this thread and LOVED reading about your progress.
10 yrs ago, lost my biz, got so broke i went from buying, to rolling, to pipe and finally had to choose between catfood or cigs.
tough time, but the best thing that could ever happened was to stop.
after all this time, a good meal, or a sensational ejaculation will still tap that one lungcell that thinks it needs it.
a momentary flash and thern its gone.
i cant stop a bird from flying over my head, but when it starts to NEST there, i am fucked!!
thoughts about smoking, are just that!! THOUGHTS!!
itrust that both of you get the benefit from clean lungs, energy, and that renewed sense of taste and smell.
you ROCK!!!

Last edited:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've gone down that route before too Viking. It's a case of never ever having another. Today is 5 weeks for me and honestly the last week has been a breeze. I moved back to the UK in the middle of last week and have no routine here whatsoever. That is making it much easier.

Changing your routine or surroundings makes a huge difference. I decided to quit and timed it to coincide with moving house and also a job change. The new home, work practices and location gave me enough to do to keep me occupied for the first few weeks. Moving house and changing job aren't things I'd recommend to everyone to help them quit, but if you're doing those things anyway, it's a good opportunity to change other things in your life as well and to start with a clean slate.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

way to go D!!!!

keep it up, you're at the threshold where the actual physical addiction is being shattered, so you are feeling better and better as it releases its grip on you physically...now the fight is mental, and you are strong enough for that!

chociful2008

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I been smoking for 25 years and want and need to quit. I don't know how to go about it. I feel so dependent on cigarettes that I'm almost afraid to try, but I want to. I hear about the patch, Chantrix, Wellbutrin, gum, celery stalks, cinnamon sticks. I at a lost for where to start. I welcome any and all tips. Please.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I been smoking for 25 years and want and need to quit. I don't know how to go about it. I feel so dependent on cigarettes that I'm almost afraid to try, but I want to. I hear about the patch, Chantrix, Wellbutrin, gum, celery stalks, cinnamon sticks. I at a lost for where to start. I welcome any and all tips. Please.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no right formula. Different things work for different people. One thing I am convinced about though is that certain things in your daily routine trigger off the urge to smoke.

I moved back to the UK 11 days ago and I have no routine here whatsoever. My stopping smoking has become a total non issue since my return. Because of that my advice would be to analyse your smoking over a week. You will note that certain things you do will trigger off the need to smoke. If you can change those things in your routine it will help. For example if you drive to work you will probably find you light up at the same places each day. Change your route if you can. Also tell yourself you are making improvements to your life. You are not depriving yourself of anything.

Good luck and if you need support just ask. Plenty people helped and supported me on here and I'd be happy to return the favour.

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Well I went to see the evil "Stop smoking" woman on the 25th of March at 9am, she told me she didn't have time to see me then and asked me to come back at 3:30pm.

I returned like a good girl, set my date to quit for the next morning (26th) I thought that was a good time as I had enough cigs to last me the night, but would have to rush out and buy more that morning.

Had a lovely time finishing off my cigs that night, a few drinks to mark the end of it.

I picked up my patches, got the new strong 16hour ones as I have a lot of trouble with bad dreams and knew from others than the 24hour ones can cause bad dreams... don't want to make anything worse. I also got a pack of the gum.

I used the patches for 2 days, along with the odd bit of gum here and there, but I started feeling really sick and was gagging every few mins throughout the day. I forgot my patch on day 3 but was fine with just the gum.

Day 4 and I had a run of bad news from family and friends (and board drama... damn you people!!) so I stuck a patch on and got through it.

I'm now having 1-2 pieces of gum a day and no patches. I don't want a cig, and I don't want to kill people who smoke around me, which is a good sign I guess.

Good luck to everyone else trying!

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well I went to see the evil "Stop smoking" woman on the 25th of March at 9am, she told me she didn't have time to see me then and asked me to come back at 3:30pm.

I returned like a good girl, set my date to quit for the next morning (26th) I thought that was a good time as I had enough cigs to last me the night, but would have to rush out and buy more that morning.

Had a lovely time finishing off my cigs that night, a few drinks to mark the end of it.

I picked up my patches, got the new strong 16hour ones as I have a lot of trouble with bad dreams and knew from others than the 24hour ones can cause bad dreams... don't want to make anything worse. I also got a pack of the gum.

I used the patches for 2 days, along with the odd bit of gum here and there, but I started feeling really sick and was gagging every few mins throughout the day. I forgot my patch on day 3 but was fine with just the gum.

Day 4 and I had a run of bad news from family and friends (and board drama... damn you people!!) so I stuck a patch on and got through it.

I'm now having 1-2 pieces of gum a day and no patches. I don't want a cig, and I don't want to kill people who smoke around me, which is a good sign I guess.

Good luck and keep it going. You are doing great.

You're still in the tough stages but it will get easier and easier each day. Especially after you have passed the 3 week mark.

Keep a running toal of how much money you have saved each week. :wink:

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've come to the conclusion that there is no right formula. Different things work for different people. One thing I am convinced about though is that certain things in your daily routine trigger off the urge to smoke.

I moved back to the UK 11 days ago and I have no routine here whatsoever. My stopping smoking has become a total non issue since my return. Because of that my advice would be to analyse your smoking over a week. You will note that certain things you do will trigger off the need to smoke. If you can change those things in your routine it will help. For example if you drive to work you will probably find you light up at the same places each day. Change your route if you can. Also tell yourself you are making improvements to your life. You are not depriving yourself of anything.

Good luck and if you need support just ask. Plenty people helped and supported me on here and I'd be happy to return the favour.

Good advice, and well done on your progress so far.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

I didn't get on with either the gum or the patches - I'm allergic to the adhesive on the patches and the gum made me nauseous. According to the blurb on the box, I was chewing it too much and releasing the nicotine too quickly. Anyway, I switched to the inhalator and never looked back. It's been over nine years since I last had a puff, and I used to smoke between 30 and 50 a day.

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I didn't get on with either the gum or the patches - I'm allergic to the adhesive on the patches and the gum made me nauseous. According to the blurb on the box, I was chewing it too much and releasing the nicotine too quickly. Anyway, I switched to the inhalator and never looked back. It's been over nine years since I last had a puff, and I used to smoke between 30 and 50 a day.

I tried my husbands one, and to be honest, it was like inhaling a mouth full of piss, bloody horrid taste.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
After having quit over and over again, for years at a time and discovering that the cravings never go away, I finally gave up trying to quit my habits and now I vape ecigs, as many people have seen on cam. It satisfies my cravings and I know that I'll never smoke again. I don't even desire cigarettes any more, just ecigs. I've been vaping for about 8 months now!

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I tried my husbands one, and to be honest, it was like inhaling a mouth full of piss, bloody horrid taste.
The flavour didn't bother me.

good luck.

I went cold turkey 20 times before it finally stuck.

hardest damn thing to do.

I think a lot of it's down to your attitude. I tried to stop three times before I succeeded. It was only when I decided that I was going to stop that it worked. Until then, I'd only wanted to stop. Was it Yoda who said something along the lines of, "There is no try. There is only do or do not"? It's very like that with smoking - or at least it was for me. You've got to make up your mind that you're going to be a non-smoker and stick with it. If you're not determined, you won't succeed.