AP just called Weiner's district

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_enzia35, Sep 14, 2011.

1. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

for Turner!

Ain't been a republican in that seat since 1920 I heard.

2. NYCdude

NYCdude Member

Is this a referendum on Obama? the economy? Gay Marriage? or Israel? All have been suggested and I have no idea what to make of this other than it's the same situation as when Scott Brown won in a very liberal state. On the bright side for dems, there's a good chance Brown loses next round, and this district will be deleted next year anyway. But, still, politics are a complete mess. Upstate NY goes democrat, Queens and south BK go republican.

No doubt this will give Boehner and Cantor a little fight back against the campaigning Obama.

3. NYCdude

NYCdude Member

Of course, it could also be a referendum on the state of the Mets.

4. houtx48

Gold Member

one more do nothing Republicn........enough of them to stir shit and not move the country forward. Is this one a bagger too?

5. lurker37160

lurker37160 Member

This is just a preview of 2012. Thinking people are sick of Obama, his minions and the ultra left agenda they espouse. Word.

6. B_penispenispenis37

B_penispenispenis37 New Member

Hahaha - can you at least try and make sense in that post. Minions? Ultra left? None of those things are remotely real. Oh wait! You live in TN - that explains it.

I believe Obama is likely to win because the most suitable republican candidate is a guy that prays for rain and generally says whatever sounds right. That is worse that Mitt, Mitt at least try and upholds some sort of beliefs. Perry makes w. Bush look like an intellectual. Plus Colbert's Rick Parry campaign will be the end of him if it ever gets that far.

The youth that voted obama in the first time will most definitely do it the second time. These people wont vote for Perry, Romney nor even Ron Paul. In fact, I believe these people will come out in droves even larger than they did the first time. Yes, people are disappointed - but they are not stupid enough to believe any republican candidate is going to give them what they want. Unfortunately these people did not vote in the midterm elections so we are stuck with this situation for now.

Right now the republicans are only interested in completely dismantling the government - and half their base doesn't even realize what it will entail for them. I.E. the old fogey's on medicare and social security saying we need to end entitlements (maybe they think it is for everyone but them?).

I don't think this is a referendum on Obama. It is more likely a referendum on tweeting photos of your penis and ads about the GROUND ZERO MOSQUE.

Something people aren't even considering is that Obama will get the latino vote as whatever republican is going to be some xenophobic maniac. That is huge - and it will be a larger group each election. I think these could be really good times for democrats (if they got their act together). I think this is why the republican party is acting so foolishly desperate (completely pandering to a bunch of insane ideologists that want nothing realistic)

7. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

people will vote Libertarian if thay want Gay Marriage

8. NYCdude

NYCdude Member

This has nothing to do with this election. The Orthodox Jews in the district are social conservatives, and they don't like the passing of Gay Marriage. Weprin, the Democratic candidate, supported Gay marriage.

This is also not a victory for libertarianism, which promotes isolationism, and this was definitely a pro-Israel vote. Ed Koch supported the Republican because of Obama's supposed Israeli policy.

9. BF2K

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    NYCdude, is that why they voted Democrat since 1920?

10. NYCdude

NYCdude Member

Is what why?

11. BF2K

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    "supposed Israeli policy"? Forcing Israel to go back to 1967 borders which were not defensible is NOT a supposed policy....

12. NYCdude

NYCdude Member

That's the same policy - with mutually agreed land swaps - we've always had. This vote goes beyond that - Israel was against the removal of Mubarak, for example. Now, Egypt and Turkey (particularly since the flotilla) are both no longer as friendly with Israel as they were. This is being blamed on Obama, even though the region is quickly changing and Israel-Palestine (driven by legitimate security concerns) has stayed stagnant. They need to get out in front of the Arab Spring and come out of it with a better relationship with their surroundings, or else they'll always be screwed.

And you live in Paris? Obama is a helluvalot more friendly with Israel than any European country. The Europeans were about to grant Palestine recognition as a nation without any Israeli voice, so spare me.

13. upone

upone New Member

Mostly, this was a turnout result. If less than 50% turn out, every district will go Republican. If more than 60% turn out, every district will go Democratic.

14. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    NYCdude has already posted anything I'd have added to this thread.

15. lurker37160

lurker37160 Member

Does that mean that Republican are more likely to vote?

16. Quast

Quast Well-Known Member

That's always been the case. Who has more free time? Old white people or a minority working three jobs to keep their family afloat.

17. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

You know that the Democratic candidate was Jewish right?
    And Jews have historically voted for Democrats.

18. lurker37160

lurker37160 Member

That statement is hilarious. People who vote Democratic are more likely to be on the dole. On another note, working TEN jobs would not prevent people WHO WANTED TO VOTE to vote.

19. NYCdude

NYCdude Member

It is a ridiculous statement, but he is right, lol. Poor people historically don't vote.

And yes I know Weprin's Jewish, I live in New York City buddy. Let me know when you have something new to add.

20. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

You would think the Jews in NY would vote for the Jewish guy? And that Jews typicaaly vote Democrat?
    Pro-Israel vote indeed. Keep making excuses for Obama.

Draft saved Draft deleted