Apartment laws

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BBTM, May 2, 2008.

1. BBTM

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So I'm really pissed right now:mad:...Got a letter from our property management for our apartment saying they are approved for a tax credit to remodel our complex (Great), but it only applies to people who qualify for low income and if you don't you have to move out (BAD).

So on normal circumstances (being that you were a tenant for a while) it wouldn't be so bad, but we just moved in 2 weeks ago!!! Why the Hell were we not told the complex would undergo renovation for low income when they had to check our credit to see if we even qualified to move in in the first place?

Does anybody know about tenant laws to help???

BTW- I live in California (somebody's got to be able to help us sue)

2. lowteg

lowteg Member

sucks have you read over your terms and conditions of the agreement,

maby its in their some where in small print.

if not sue sue sue...

good luck

3. simcha

Gold Member

Never fear. In California renters have more rights than in most states. See these sites:

Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs
    Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: California
    California Tenant Law - Free legal advice for California renters' rights

California Tenants Rights

And here's a book:
    California Tenants' Rights

And depending on where you live in Silly Valley, your municipality and county might afford you rights above and beyond Federal and State law.

And here's a link to a site specifically for those living in Santa Clara County about finding legal aid:

Legal Aid Society of Santa Clara County

Don't let your landlord screw you.

4. simcha

Gold Member

Also don't forget to vote in California's next primary which is on June 3rd, 2008. Of special interest to renters are Propositions 98 and 99. For information on these Propositions see this editorial piece:

June Primary: Californians Rejecting Prop 98 "Landlords™ Hidden Agenda Scheme” But Approving Prop 99 Eminent Domain Reform, New PPIC Poll Shows - California Progress Report

Here is information about the June 3rd Primary:

Voter Information Guide

Basically 98 is a ruse by landlords. They are claiming to reform eminent domain laws. In reality they are trying to end rent control in the entire state. Those of us living in cities with rent control wouldn't be able to afford the already ridiculous rents if rent controls were lifted and landlords could raise rents as their whim dictates.

I lived in Chicago for seven years. That's a brutal city for renters. There is no rent control. If you want to renew your lease expect a hefty rent increase. Most people I knew there moved every year to escape being gouged for 10% plus increases every year.

Here in Oakland our rent control board allows landlords to raise rents based on the cost of living increase estimates. Other California cities have other provisions to keep some housing affordable to working class people.

Definitely vote in this sleeper primary. There's not much in the news about it and if enough regular people don't get out and vote, the landlords might sneek one by us...

5. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I'd find an Attorney through a renter's rights organization. But in the mean time, why not go down to civil court and file an injunction against the eviction? Costs like $100 to file, I believe.

6. BBTM

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    We're not being evicted. We're just not allowed to live here because we don't qualify for low income. What Bull S***

7. D_Fiona_Farvel

Do you have to leave prior to the lease expiry date?

8. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd tell them I'm not going anywhere until the lease term expires.

9. BBTM

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Our lease is a month to month, but aren't they supposed to tell us before we moved in they were converting to low income since they knew we didn't qualify?

10. D_Fiona_Farvel

Check with an Attorney, but I believe month to month agreements are at will. Therefore you probably have until the months ends.

Eta: The terms are probably in your lease, give a look to verify.

11. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

This is not legal advice, just my opinion...

As you are on a month to month lease, the management company probably feels as though they gave you enough warning if they made you aware of the situation. Is it right? Absolutely not, but it might be legal. Did they give you any tenant rights or any of that documentation outlining basically what they can and can't do as well as what you can and can't do? You might want to review those closely to see if you have any ammo...highly doubtful if it is a management company, but there might be a loophole of some sort that can buy you time.

I know it sucks, but you may be able to stay a while longer...have they given you notice to move out?

Draft saved Draft deleted