Apollo 14 astronaut claims aliens HAVE made contact...

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Which brings about other issues regarding ethics.

What if it was normal for the aliens to mate with their children? Perhaps they are asexual? Perhaps they are multisexual? Maybe they kill their weak and infirm? What if they are cannibalistic? Have a caste system? Commit ritual suicide at a certain age? Own slaves? There could be many things very shocking to us that could cause us to immediately dislike and distrust them. What if they have no religion? Evangelicals of all religions would storm their governments begging them to send the aliens missionaries and scriptures.

So many things to consider.

Well of course, any of those are possible. Several of those have happened at some time and place in human history. But we can't be afraid to get in touch just because of the possibility that one of their predominant cultures would be considered shocking and disturbing by one of ours. Just as those could be, they could also mesh well with our culture or even have beneficial knowledge to offer.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
actually, even if they live on the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy lets say more like 50 million years if speed of light travel exists. Hubble has found galaxies that are over 110 million lights years across.

Light takes 8 minutes to get here from the sun which I think it 93 million miles away.

If they are able to travel at or near the speed of light and have ships that can sustain life light years away from the warmth of stars, it would be possible even if they had life spans comparable to our own. I've read it explained something like this...
... If a human were sent into space at the fastest speed yet achieved and traveled nearly to the next closest star (after the sun, of course), four years would pass on Earth but only a few minutes, maybe an hour, would pass in the vehicle.
So even if we're talking about hundreds of light years, the people on board would only age a couple of years, as their velocity would create a sort of pocket in which time passes much more slowly than in the space surrounding them.

Nice, dude. This brings up the point that even if they were to inform us about cures, new medicines, free energy and such, a certain few very important economies could potentially collapse unless worldwide policies can be agreed upon, which is probably another huge argument against dislcosure.

But the thing is, what person or agency would disclose this so that everyone would believe? Not the president, he isn't allowed to know anything about this, I doubt the CIA would say anything, and even if they did, people wouldn't take them seriously. The sad part is, even if there was disclosure from governments around the world, there would still be people thinking it was a hoax. I'd like to know what's going on too, but maybe the waiting game isn't so bad? I mean, if there really are aliens and they really are visiting us, and they really do want us to know about them, I'm sure, if they really wanted us to know, that they would eventually make it blatantly obvious to everyone, so that it is impossible to hide. Maybe that's what's starting to happen now...

I think all of that hinges on just what relations the governments of the world have with aliens. Certainly I do not expect every government to have an embassy on Fqxtlqupoo or even have knowledge, but even if it was just the G10 nations, we have to wonder if they have any ongoing dialogue. They may well not. I suspect that the nations in the know are very wary of the intentions of the aliens. When one government feels very vulnerable to another more powerful government, they will either appease or attempt to find unique ways to defend themselves. The aliens are not perfect, they have lost at least one ship, and the Soviets allegedly shot one down with an air-to-air missile. Even then, their technological superiority must be very worrisome to the G10. We do not know their numbers or their resources. We do not know if they are protecting us from some larger threat, or are seeking our friendship so we let down our defenses (To Serve Man?). Earth's great advantage, and disadvantage, is that we're in the galactic sticks. We're a tiny system out in the exurbs of the galaxy. Anonymity is a good strategic weapon.

So is biology. We may not be able to defend ourselves with conventional weapons but perhaps we could with biologicals. These aliens would have no natural immunity to any Terran disease. For all we know, the common rhinovirus could kill them dead. H.G. Wells may have been more right than he knew.

Because of all this, I doubt governments will acknowledge anything until they feel they have a resaonable defense against alien attack. Just as the US has planned scenarios for invading Canada or the UK, it's just good leadership to have a contingency for every possible scenario. Then you can bargain from a position of strength, and thus have more open and fruitful diplomatic relationships because you can then feel you can reveal more without appearing weak.

I'm certain presidents are aware of the status of aliens. Presidents may not run the entire show, but they do run the military and they can order-up whatever they wish. Whether they're lied to is an entirely different matter, but if Putin knows (and he should), then so The Shrub must know as well too. It doesn't make sense, indeed it would be dangerous, for presidents not to know because of the enormous power they wield.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
...but it has been covered up for 60 years

Last updated at 4:00 PM on 23rd July 2008

Aliens have contacted humans several times but governments have hidden the truth for 60 years, the sixth man to walk on the moon has claimed.

Apollo 14 astronaut Dr Edgar Mitchell, said he was aware of many UFO visits to Earth during his career with NASA but each one was covered up.
Dr Mitchell, 77, said during a radio interview that sources at the space agency who had had contact with aliens described the beings as 'little people who look strange to us.'

He said supposedly real-life ET's were similar to the traditional image of a small frame, large eyes and head.

Chillingly, he claimed our technology is 'not nearly as sophisticated' as theirs and "had they been hostile", he warned 'we would be been gone by now'.

Dr Mitchell, along with with Apollo 14 commander Alan Shepard, holds the record for the longest ever moon walk, at nine hours and 17 minutes following their 1971 mission.

'I happen to have been privileged enough to be in on the fact that we've been visited on this planet and the UFO phenomena is real,' Dr Mitchell said.

'It's been well covered up by all our governments for the last 60 years or so, but slowly it's leaked out and some of us have been privileged to have been briefed on some of it.

'I've been in military and intelligence circles, who know that beneath the surface of what has been public knowledge, yes - we have been visited. Reading the papers recently, it's been happening quite a bit.'

Dr Mitchell, who has a Bachelor of Science degree in aeronautical engineering and a Doctor of Science degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics claimed Roswell was real and similar alien visits continue to be investigated.

He told the astonished Kerrang! radio host Nick Margerrison: "This is really starting to open up. I think we're headed for real disclosure and some serious organisations are moving in that direction.'

Mr Margerrison said: 'I thought I'd stumbled on some sort of astronaut humour but he was absolutely serious that aliens are definitely out there and there's no debating it.'

Officials from NASA, however, were quick to play the comments down.

In a statement, a spokesman said: "NASA does not track UFOs. NASA is not involved in any sort of cover up about alien life on this planet or anywhere in the universe.

'Dr Mitchell is a great American, but we do not share his opinions on this issue.'

Source?

*suspects one of those middle-of-the-night call-in radio shows*

Let me get this straight: Beings with the technological smarts to travel from one planetary system to another (how long would that take with our technology -- tens of thousands of years? hundreds of thousands?) have come all the way over here and have been trying to make contact with us, but the evil government people have been conspiring to hush the whole thing up, and have been so cunningly effective that they have concealed all decisive evidence. Have I got the story right?

Not just the governments, but the aliens themselves. If they really are concerned about good relations with Earth, then they would not want to cause panic. It's possible our governments have asked them not to make definitive contact until such time as they believe Earthlings are ready to hear it.

We're not terribly sophisticated as a race. Civilization is still very new to us. There are still people running around in stone underwear who have no idea of anything other than their own territory or island. What do we do with these people who appear so completely primitive to us? We leave them alone! We'll fly over in our helicopters or airplanes, take pictures, maybe a gum wrapper or something accidentally falls off the plane. One ship was beached on the shore of one of the Andaman islands and the crew was watched for a day or two by the natives as they waited to be rescued. The crew gave the natives plastic crates full of food, praying the they wouldn't kill them. The natives dumped the food and took the crates! Then the ship was pulled off the rocks, towed away, and the crew was rescued.

Now let's imagine that the natives on that island went over to the other side and told the people there about what they saw. Giant shiny flying birds? Enormous canoes made out of unknown materials? Strange people with yellow hair, white skin, blue eyes, and who wear funny clothes and have sticks that they can make light come out of without fire?

What does that kind of encounter sound like to you?

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
... If a human were sent into space at the fastest speed yet achieved and traveled nearly to the next closest star (after the sun, of course), four years would pass on Earth but only a few minutes, maybe an hour, would pass in the vehicle.
So even if we're talking about hundreds of light years, the people on board would only age a couple of years, as their velocity would create a sort of pocket in which time passes much more slowly than in the space surrounding them.

I've never been able to grasp this. This argument is always used with regards to time travel, but honestly I don't get it. If you're traveling at the speed of light, and it takes 2 light years to get somewhere and 2 light years to get back, it's still a total of 4 years both on Earth and in space. Since a light year is the amount of time it takes light to travel in the time span of a year on Earth, and you're traveling somewhere that is 2 light years away and you are traveling at the speed of light, it would be a total trip of 4 years for both people on Earth and the people in the vehicle because a light year is a measurement based off of an Earth time standard. Even if you somehow went faster than the speed of light, you wouldn't be travling back in time, it just means that our concepts of physics and the way we measure time is wrong.

I've never been able to grasp this. This argument is always used with regards to time travel, but honestly I don't get it. If you're traveling at the speed of light, and it takes 2 light years to get somewhere and 2 light years to get back, it's still a total of 4 years both on Earth and in space. Since a light year is the amount of time it takes light to travel in the time span of a year on Earth, and you're traveling somewhere that is 2 light years away and you are traveling at the speed of light, it would be a total trip of 4 years for both people on Earth and the people in the vehicle because a light year is a measurement based off of an Earth time standard. Even if you somehow went faster than the speed of light, you wouldn't be travling back in time, it just means that our concepts of physics and the way we measure time is wrong.

Time is relative. Time really does change when you're traveling at near light velocities. Time even changes for astronauts orbiting the earth, though it's too small to be noticeable. Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity and Joseph Larmor's Lorentz Transformation. I truly cannot begin to describe how it all works but apparently it does.

Any physicists out there?

Big Al

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Time is relative. Time really does change when you're traveling at near light velocities. Time even changes for astronauts orbiting the earth, though it's too small to be noticeable. Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity and Joseph Larmor's Lorentz Transformation. I truly cannot begin to describe how it all works but apparently it does.

Some really weird things start to happen when objects with mass approach the speed of light. This site has some material that explains Special Relativity very well: Special Relativity Thought Experiments .

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Ya, I know time is relative, but I just don't see how someone could go away for 4 years, come back and not have aged any

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
fer crying out loud...

its BULLSHIT...

look at it economically.

The amount of energy it would take to travel from even a fairly close star to the earth is exponentially inverse to the TIME it would take...

Not unlike your car... if you want to drive at 100mph, expect to spend more on gas to cover the same distance as a car going 30mph... you will get there faster... at some greater expense.

To travel at relativistic speeds... ( which really cuts down the time) requires relativistic amounts of energy.
For aliens to GET HERE from 15 light years away within 70 years would take more energy than ALL of humanity has used, worldwide, over the past 2 thousand years.

Now I don't care what fantasy of future technology you want to dream up... energy has a value to ANY technological society... it costs money. THAT much energy is not chump change... its the entire GNP of an entire world over millennia.

No space aliens are gonna spend that kind of money to travel that far, to one of the very few planets with 'intelligent' life... just to do donuts in the bean fields and mutilate some dumb cows...

THe only point in making such a trip would be to make contact with other smart folks... and any race capable of such a trip would not be held in check by one country on one continent that wanted to keep it quiet.

Open contact with another world would have a tremendous unifying effect on humanity... making our petty squabbles seem silly in comparison.

Stop watching Xfiles as if it were a documentary.... 77 year old fucks rambling in their senility are NOT evidence.

Buzz Aldrin stood on the moon... and he believes in God... just because you were involved in NASA does not make you immune from the delusional beliefs systems humans seem heir to.

There are no space aliens visiting earth.
There is no bigfoot... no loch ness monster, either.
no Santa claus and no easter bunny.
No Ghosts. No judeo/christian god.

There are too many telescopes and cameras in too many hands... too many of which are held by enemies of US interests who would stand to gain far too much by exposing such a coverup... far too much money in book contracts and speaking engagements available for anyone involved with their "conspiracy" for it to be credible that no one has come forth with a single piece of hard evidence in over 40 years....

Far too many random events captured on video in perfect clarity to explain why the ONLY 'evidence' for UFOS is always fuzzy, out of focus, ambiguous, or clearly faked.

When ALL the evidence is ambiguous and hearsay.... there is a reason... its because clear evidence reveals there is nothing there... and because things that don't exist do not leave physical evidence.... egro the only 'evidence' you CAN have of imaginary things will be hoaxes, ambiguously inconclusive, or narrative... a Story some one tells with nothing at all to back it up.

Occams razor... folks...

the nature of all purported 'evidence' for UFOS is precisely and predicatably consistent with them being imaginary.

Wake up.

We have REAL problems that need attention.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dunno Phil, I used to be a huge nonbeliever, but there are some very intriguing videos out there that aren't fake and are of considerable quality considering most affordable home video cameras are not of the best quality to begin with. Whether these vidoes and reports are of E.T.s or military experiments is what people want disclosed. If they are experimental military craft, it's understandable they would be kept secret, but in order to do what some of these things do, we would have had to had made some serious advances in anti-gravity propulsion in the last 10-20years, and if this is the case, why are we still using airplanes and strapping millions of gallons of rocket fuel to shuttles and satellites?

I know this sounds crazy and it's filled with "if's", but it's not about one country, or a group of them, dictating what these "visitors" do. The whole concept behind this is that aliens want us to know about them, but they know that if one day out of the blue they all showed up without us having any prior suspicion of them, all hell could break lose, hostility ensues, and worldwide pandimonium breaks out. IF anything has made contact, it seems reasonable that they would go to the people in charge and nations with the most power in order to make their presence known, and allow these nations to raise awareness of this issue before they decide to land in everyone's backyard and say "what's up." If they want their presence to be known worldwide, and our world leaders are not cooperating, it seems reasonable to me that these beings would take the matter into their own hands, but since our leaders are denying their existence, they would have to be very careful about it and slowly raise worldwide suspicion by gradually making themselves visible until it gets to the point where our leaders have to publicly acklowledge the issue.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Yes, that is right. There is be a difference in the rate of time elapsing between two objects, if they are moving in relation to each other. This is one major facet of Einstein's special theory of relativity. As you approach the speed of light, the difference is dramatic.

At low rates of speed, as Jason says, the difference is difficult to measure. But it was measured successfully with astronauts in orbit since they were moving fast enough and long enough for enough discrepancy to build up between the clocks they used for the experiment.

I know it sounds crazy, but the universe turns out to be crazier than what we observe directly. It is so well confirmed that it actually enters into routine manufacturing. If you do not take into account the relativistic corrections, your calculations how how to focus the electron beams in a TV picture tube will be off.

There are plenty of other simple examples of it showing up in ways that is easy to measure. The lifetime of alpha particles which are formed in the upper atmosphere from cosmic ray bombardment would cause them to decay before they reach the ground. However, they don't decay as fast as they should and we can measure them at the ground. The difference in decay rate matches exactly what would be expected from special relativity.

So, if we travelled at close to the speed of light out and back for a year (by our on board clock), when we returned, time on earth would have gone forward thousands of years.