Apostrophe S

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DC, why fo' come yo' se'ences be all structuralistic and shit? Why fo' come you not just be talk like all us?

That's not an exaggeration, I've got family in GA that would make that statement sound like Shakespeare. Kinda fun though, I be think I be talk like dat da rest of dis here day!!

That is so hard to read.

The worst phrase I have ever heard in person was "is y'all got...?" instead of "do you have....?". that was over 15 years ago and I will never forget it.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
And another thing!

There is NO FUCKING APOSTROPHE in 'gets'.

How can you think (yes you!) that there would be an apostrophe??

What is the abbreviation? Or perhaps it may involve possession.. BUT HOW?

Please people, get a hold of yourselves!

(I don't mind being axed a question at all - that's just pronunciation. All sorts of words are pronounced differently all over the English speaking world - I like that diversity in English.)

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When people wonder if they can "ax" me a question, it makes my hair hurt.
Ditto!

That is so hard to read.
The worst phrase I have ever heard in person was "is y'all got...?" instead of "do you have....?". that was over 15 years ago and I will never forget it.

hahahaha :rofl:

And another thing!
There is NO FUCKING APOSTROPHE in 'gets'. How can you think (yes you!) that there would be an apostrophe?? What is the abbreviation? Or perhaps it may involve possession.. BUT HOW? Please people, get a hold of yourselves!
:lmao: hahahaha :rofl: Maybe get's is a contraction of get us? I've never heard of it; but there are a lot of things of which I have never heard. :rolleyes:

(I don't mind being axed a question at all - that's just pronunciation. All sorts of words are pronounced differently all over the English speaking world - I like that diversity in English.)
Being axed a question bothers me, it's not just a matter of pronounciation it's a matter of poor education and breeding in the US.

I'm a bit horrified to think anyone in the UK would speak like that.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I can give some slack for non native english speakers/writers, but someone who has managed to get through the 3rd grade should know the difference between their/there/they're, then/than, here/hear, andhow to use an apostrophe. I recently saw an ad for a piano service company. The ad had in print "tuning for piano's, harpsichord's and organ's". Had it said, "tuning for your piano's strings" or "fixing your piano's problems", it would have been correct, but in reference to plural pianos, it was quite wrong--yet it went to print with no editor or printer catching it!

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Maybe get's is a contraction of get us? I've never heard of it; but there are a lot of things of which I have never heard. :rolleyes:

Nope - I understand the let us / let's parallel but the context is in a thread title (currently) here on the first page of etc. "What smell get's you in the mood" - clearly just apostrophe anxiety (i.e. I don't know how to use them so I'll chuck them in everywhere!).

Being axed a question bothers me, it's not just a matter of pronounciation it's a matter of poor education and breeding in the US.

I'm a bit horrified to think anyone in the UK would speak like that.

What's the UK got to do with it? - as I have told you many time before I'm Irsh and I live in France. :rolleyes::tongue::wink::kiss:

Actually - certain people in the UK do use 'ax' - it is usually a poor attempted to copy what they perceive as 'gangsta speak'.

I have never seen accent or pronunciation as a question of poor education or breeding - people pick up accent and colloquialisms from their environment. It isn't a matter of choice or poor education. It's part of human diversity and I love it - I wish my accent wasn't so fucking neutral and boring! Fucking elocution lessons!! :rolleyes:

Recevied pronunciation is not 'right', it is just one accent.

OK thank's for that I think I will
*Get's hold of self*

Thank's that feel's really good :eek::tongue::biggrin1:

OK - that was lesson 1 - now lesson 2: get a hold of someone else! :smile:

Had it said, "tuning for your piano's strings" or "fixing your piano's problems", it would have been correct, but in reference to plural pianos, it was quite wrong--yet it went to print with no editor or printer catching it!

I see that all over the place - it's referred to a the 'grocer's apostrophe' in the UK and Irish media.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can give some slack for non native english speakers/writers, but someone who has managed to get through the 3rd grade should know the difference between their/there/they're, then/than, here/hear, andhow to use an apostrophe. I recently saw an ad for a piano service company. The ad had in print "tuning for piano's, harpsichord's and organ's". Had it said, "tuning for your piano's strings" or "fixing your piano's problems", it would have been correct, but in reference to plural pianos, it was quite wrong--yet it went to print with no editor or printer catching it!

They probably fired the editor. Now a computer does the editing, and it didn't catch the possessive punctuation because for all it knew was that punctuation was being used. This is why some work should be done by people too instead of lettin' robots and computers do everything.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I'm so scared of making a spelling mistake in this thread. :lmao:

Dumbcow,
Don't worry about making a spelling mistake, this thread is more about the misuse, misplacement and overuse of apostrophes. One could also say that it was about the apostrophe's proper usage and placement due to plural and possesive usage.

ie. The red cow's mooing woke up the farmer's wife.
Not like this...The three Jersey cow's mooed incessantly and they're owner was upset.