Apple Charging $5 To Enter Stores

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
TCO ?

Mac, the hardware costs more, they bundle a few apps with it, but certainly not photoshop and office, those you have to buy just the same.

PC, the hardware is cheaper, so now you can buy an app to make up for the difference.

It matters more in a business/enterprise setting, though. You can employ a much smaller IT staff to support the same number of Macs as Windows boxes, and the reduced downtime further increases productivity. Plus, the server-client licensing is much, much cheaper on the Apple side.

Linux is still too labor-intensive, IMO. As a user, I don't want to see a CLI ever again.

technopeasant

Experimental Member
Media
You and all the other Apple haters are funny, you dredge up old, discredited claims and present them as gospel to try and justify your dodgy broken down pc.
I am a professional technician I have repaired PC's and some Apple PC's. What I said about parts is true. Dell, Apple, HP and any other PC maker you can think of selects their electrical parts from the same manufacturers' parts list as anybody else . Except for the few propritary parts they install. Most of Apple's propritory parts are to make sure they are not fully compatable with a standard clone PC thus, they cripple a good computer so they can sell their software. So far they are the only company who has done this that has survived. I would guess that Apple in the future will continue to get more like a PC or they will not survive.

I don't say things I can't backup, and all you have to do to do to prove my case on the parts is to open the case and look at the chips. You will find only 3 or 4 that say Apple on them the rest will be; Texas Instruments, National, AMD, Intel, Siemens, Samsung, Toshiba and an innumerable host of others. In fact if you look closely you will even find that Apples propriatary chips are made for Apple by people like AMD, Texis Insturments, Intel, Cisco, or any number of Chinese, Indonesian, Tiawan, Korean or other manufactur Apple also does not manufactur their own drives. If you look closely you will see that they are relabeled from manufacturs such as Western Digital, Maxtor, Panasonic, Toshiba, Seagate, HP, Sony, Phillips, Mitsubishi, or somebody else. Apple makes nothing! They have their cases, their boards, their propritary parts made by some contract manufactur. They have a factory where they do their final assembly and testing but that's it.

The only thing that makes an Apple unique is the service level they choose to provide, their case and their boards and software thats all. All of the pc manufacturers have most of that in common with Apple. Even their boards are made by a contractor every one does that. Board shops are special technology. Few can make 6-8 layer boards.

An Apple is Just a circumcised PC.

As for the security updates Apple describes as, "critical" you can find Security Update 2007-004, at About Security Update 2007-004

So if you haven't heard Apple has security updates to.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>
I don't say things I can't backup, and all you have to do to do to prove my case on the parts is to open the case and look at the chips. You will find only 3 or 4 that say Apple on them the rest will be; Texas Instruments, National, AMD, Intel, Siemens, Samsung, Toshiba and an innumerable host of others. In fact if you look closely you will even find that Apples propriatary chips are made for Apple by people like AMD, Texis Insturments, Intel, Cisco, or any number of Chinese, Indonesian, Tiawan, Korean or other manufactur Apple also does not manufactur their own drives.
All true, but misleading and bordering on disingenuous. None of the computer manufacturers are set up to build all their own chips and resistors and diodes and capacitors. None of them even build their own processors. They design the processor architecture, and outsource that manufacturing to a company set up for chip manufacture. It only makes sense that if Lucent is already mass manufacturing the FW802 09 chip that you'll buy it and use it on the board you designed, or if you need a 0.1uF capacitor, there's no reason to make your own, just buy it from Samsung. It makes sense for Apple, or any other company, to create the design for a proprietary chip and send the specs to TI or Intel or Motorola for manufacturing. Otherwise, that's like saying I'm not really building a shelf if I don't mill the wood myself.
As for the security updates Apple describes as, "critical" you can find Security Update 2007-004, at About Security Update 2007-004

So if you haven't heard Apple has security updates to.
Apple actually offers rewards to hackers who can hack the OS for the simple purpose of finding possible vulnerabilities; when one of them does, that vulnerability is addressed. The security updates also fix bugs. That has little or nothing to do with viruses or malware, but mostly to do with system accessibility.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What's with this business of comparing Apple and Dell? I've used PCs for years and never dealt with Dell at all. If I bought Mac I'd have to deal with Apple. Which, of course, is the weak point of Apple's plans for world conquest.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What's with this business of comparing Apple and Dell? I've used PCs for years and never dealt with Dell at all. If I bought Mac I'd have to deal with Apple. Which, of course, is the weak point of Apple's plans for world conquest.

People have heard of Dell?

I could understand it better if there was a well known PC maker called Pear.:rolleyes:

sally24h

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I cant belive that,they are a rip off.My mates ipod hard rdive crashed and when she rang them up they wanted het to pay them 25 quid so they could tell her how to fix it while she was on the telephone.Mine also crashed so i just searched on the internet and was able to fix it myself.Cant say i am not surpised though