Apple passes Microsoft to be biggest tech company

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by btmboy, May 27, 2010.

1. btmboy

btmboy Active Member

Albums:
    Source: BBC News

Haha, I love this. Bit of an Apple nerd, so it pleased me =)

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It was only a matter of time. And with the new iPad, it's going to get even bigger.
    I still curse the day I couldn't find someone to help me buy 1000 shares of Apple Stock back in 1999. I'd be rich right now!

3. curious_angel

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Me too. I'm looking into the possibility of getting my iPhone surgically implanted to reduce the risk of being parted from it. Don't even get me started on my MacBookpro obsession :biggrin1:

4. btmboy

btmboy Active Member

Albums:
    OMG I KNOW! I have about £1000 worth of shares in a bank bought for me at birth which I wanted to move to Apple just 2 years ago, but my parents won't let me touch them until I'm 21 - SINCE THEN APPLE HAS EXPLODED AND THE BANKS HAVE CRASHED!

Never mind... At least I get to enjoy their iProducts =) Every cloud lol

5. midlifebear

Gold Member

Although I have to say I'm still a bit sad that my trusty five year-old Dell Inspiron 8600 was killed by a power surge (lightning), I'm much more productive having returned to the side of "good" since buying my MacBook Pro with maximum hard drive, memory, cache, tits, and feathers. Final Cut Pro runs effortlessly on it. Thank you Apple.

6. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
  7. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed.

8. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    My Itouch64 is my absolute favorite toy. I forget my blackberry but I carry my Itouch everywhere. I have an MP3 player that was given to me 2 years ago ... it's still in the box. I only kept it because my bf gave it to me at the same time my Dad gave my the Itouch8.

9. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    The stock market is a funny thing it can make or break a company, plus size don't matter, you should know that as a LPSG member, lol.

10. btmboy

btmboy Active Member

Albums:
    Haha best post yet!

11. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

I have always heard the opposite. :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see if Google can compete with the Android in the "smart phone" space. That's where alot of growth will continue to come from. I wonder how Bill Gates feels about choosing Steve Ballmer as his replacement now?

12. btmboy

btmboy Active Member

Albums:
    There were rumblings that Andriod had overtaken iPhone market share? Not sure if this is true, but I can quite easily see it happening in the very near future. Won't take long for Google to get it on some tablets to compete with the iPad, either.

Personally, I think Windows Phone 7 or whatever they are calling it looks awful - stick to my iPhone for now.

I might sell my 3GS this weekend on eBay or something so I get a good price, then buy the new iPhone when it comes out next month/July.

13. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
  14. btmboy

btmboy Active Member

Albums:
    So so so so many companies outsource production to countries where human rights are a major issue. China needs to address these social problems.

You think manufacturers don't use components coming from similar factories? Get real. It's hardly a mark against Apple, and Foxconn looks to lose out in the long run - Apple can easily switch production to another manufacture without the end user even knowing.

Can I just say as well - have you even the slightest idea how many workers died in Great Britain, as the first country to undergo industrialisation? Many, may thousands. Textile industries, mining, manufacturing - the list goes on and on. Becoming an advanced developed country/economy with high standards of human rights takes many years, and China is on a long road. Of course no one wants workers to commit suicide over phones, its ridiculous, but they are social issues that only China, and China alone, can fix.

Won't stop me purchasing Apple products.

15. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Your very correct. It still does not make right the suffering people endure so a company can make a killing. These people wages are not set by companies like Apple but the ability for Foxcomm to succeed on these peoples labors is fueled by the needs of the buyers. Retailer Walmart dropped the price of the popular Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB to $97.

16. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    God, this thread is why I hate Apple. It's a masturbatory fanboy orgy of "ZOMG my iPhone is teh best thing evar!" I don't deny that Apple has some neat products (I was quite fond of my iPod), but their image and their fanbase are annoying as hell.

Being at a large, liberal, west-coast university full of hipsters, I've observed two kinds of Apple users: users and fanboys. I'm fine with users. For one reason or another, they like Apple and its products and opt for it Windows/Linux, and they treat their computer like a computer. The fanboys, though, are the ones who would suck Steve Jobs' cock and put forth an image of hipster douchebag elitism. Their Apple products are more than phones or computers; they're accessories and signs of social status. It proves they're so trendy and different and so much cooler than you.

However, I'm perfectly happy with my customizable Dell which is compatible with just about everything. So, if something breaks, I needn't mail it in to Apple HQ (and pay absurd shipping). I can just walk 10 blocks to the nearest PC shop and have them fix it for a reasonable price.

17. midlifebear

Gold Member

Zeuhl34: I sympathize with you. I still miss my Dell Inspiron 8600 which worked slavishly well for me for more than 5 years (although it slowed down by cumbersome ditritis collected from the web which had to be regularly purged). And I had been using PCs burdened with Microsoft's various operating systems since having my old MacII become obsolete back in 1992. However, Microsoft has lost market share because it's business model has been to release "almost" ready software for the last umpteen years. Microsoft has yet to release an OS (and especially a browser) that wasn't full of holes and subject to virus and privacy maladies. Even MS Word (which I do in my sleep) was/is supported by poor programming architecture. Hence, that's why everything I used, except the Windoze OS, was a product from Adobe or one of Adobe's competitors. Quality is quality.

So, there's a reason so many people scream their love of Macs. For the last 10 years there has been a steady improvement in quality of the OS. The new OS is so intuitive that it's almost zen-like. Microsoft Office, although a good idea, has so many inherent problems that I'm surprised Microsoft can still convince the majority of PC owners that it's "cool." It is a dinosaur.

Of course, I still have many good friends (who I fortunately no longer have to work with) who will always suffer separation anxiety because they are so "command line" dependent. Sad.

#17 midlifebear, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  18. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    And Apple becomes EVIL
    With iTunes, Apple has thrown weight around - CNN.com
    It's just repeating Microsoft and their anticompetitive stuff in the 90's.

19. sargon20

Gold Member

I've had my Mac for two years now and not one virus, not one missing DLL file, no mysterious errors, the list is endless, it shuts down and starts up while Windows is still trying to close programs and getting stuck. I have had to run zero anti-malware programs, zero anti-spyware programs and zero anti-virus programs. I hate Windows and I always will.

20. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Macs are great. However in my opinion they are way overpriced. Windows 7 is simply a disaster in terms of safety issues. It is with out a doubt more vulnerable to viruses and malware than Vista ever was. I have been running Linux on my computers for a good while now. It is simply the most stable operating system out there. It can do anything Windows or a Mac can do, and in most cases do it better. The freedom of not having to deal with the corporate giants anymore is wonderful. This is no surprise Apple doing better than Microsoft. They still don't get the picture. Perhaps they never will.

Draft saved Draft deleted