Apple's worst security breach.114,000 i pad owners exposed

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mr. Snakey, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Apple has suffered another embarrassment. A security breach has exposed 114,000 i pad owners including the military, politicians and every other buyer leaving them vulnerable to spam and malicious hacking. A few lines from the article. Link below. My thoughts? It takes about 10 minutes to hack a i phone. Even less to hack the i pad.

[FONT=ARIAL,VERDANA,HELVETICA][SIZE=+7]BREACH: 114,000 IPAD OWNERS EXPOSED[/SIZE][/FONT]

#1 Mr. Snakey, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. josh20hung

josh20hung Active Member

I hate apple!!

3. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

#3 Mr. Snakey, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  4. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Wait till Hazelgawd hears about this!
    The horror! The horror!

5. josh20hung

josh20hung Active Member

I had a rant like 2 weeks ago regarding my problems with Apple ... I had to call for Tech Support and they told me they had to charge me 35$ per problem for their help.

6. D_Gunther Snotpole

Had your warranty run out?

7. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

This is simply a disaster. More than the general consumer were hurt by this. The White House, ABC News, the military, the mayor of New York, The New York Times. The list is endless. Yes my Linux brother HG will have something to say about this. I await his thoughts on this matter. In the mean time, may i suggest jail time for Steve Jobs?

8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gawker has a big hate on for Apple. I don't know or care much why. Maybe it's part of their business model to be a counterbalance to Macworld or something.

The security breach is another ATT fuck-up. One that they admit to and apologize for if you read the updated article on Gawker.

The headline is misleading and if you read past the first few paragraphs they stop even mentioning Apple and blame ATT at length.

I'm not sure which is more annoying; the Apple haters or the fanboys.

9. sbat

sbat New Member

The title of this thread needs to be changed, as it is false. The security breach is with AT&T, not apple. Read the content of the link you posted.

Sheesh:rolleyes:

10. sbat

sbat New Member

Ah vince, you beat me to the punch

11. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Your right. It seems this was a ATT fuck up. However Apple failed in protecting the consumer. They need to be held accountable for their actions to the full extent of the law. This is from The Washington Post

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/pos...e_exposed.html

12. D_Gunther Snotpole

I would be nice to Steve ... he's lookin' pretty fragile.
    Let's just have St. Peter, at the Pearly Gates, look up Steve's moral resumé on a BlackBerry.
    Punishment enough.
    :cool:

I like that, vince.
    I'll quote you.

13. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

No Apple needs to take full responsibility for not protecting the consumer. They can blame AT&T all they want. However in the end it's their product. It's their fault.

14. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just like Jobs' huge embarrassing failure of an attempt at launching the iPhone v4 (OMFGWOWZ0RZ!!!!111one), I don't believe you can lay this entirely at AT&T's feet.

Apple chose to form this exclusive (read: fuck-the-consumer monopoly) partnership with AT&T as the data service provider for their products.

I choose not to have all my eggs resting in one basket for a reason, and it's for that same reason I don't do business with any company whose model ignores this very basic tenet of diversification.

15. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Fuckin' amazing.

16. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Apple chose them because AT&T had the network and the customer base that could get the iPhone out to many people at once. Before the iPhone, Apple had absolutely no footing in the cellular market (just like iPod/iTunes initially had no footing in the music industry) so they had to go big to make an impact. Exclusives between AT&T and Apple were only supposed to be for two years, but that has proven difficult to shake.

But to make this more on topic, I'm sure plenty of Anti-Mac people are just giddy that there was a security breach on Apple's end. It's not as if this computer was invulnerable to such things. I guess that makes the current score for security breaches...

PC - 749658739456894327170438
    Mac - 1
    Linux - Who Gives A sh**

:biggrin:

17. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Your welcome Hh. Feel free to correct the grammar.

18. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

FWIW: the way I understood it, AT&T is who fucked up. Maybe we read different articles, but ZDNet's Apple reporting team headlined with "AT&T security breach exposes iPad 3G customer data". If you want to look at the article for yourself, you can find it here.

I'm not sure I understand all the caustic remarks about Apple in the thread. I own Apple products (iPod, iPad, iMac) and non-Apple products (HP desktop running Win7, Android-based Motorola Backflip, HP Home Server) and I think each excels in different spaces.

Do we live in a world where everything has to be so polarized? Is intelligent discussion that difficult to pull off?

19. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Firstly, my intention was too alert Mac users. I have have clearly stated( with links) in my other posts, it was AT&T who fucked up. However Apple must held accountable. It's their product. To simply laugh this off as a joke is not a good idea. If they got a hold of the White House chief of staff's email( and other information) they got yours. This comes right after the encryption screw up for the 3GS i Phone. If you have one for business or personal use, you may have been hacked. It takes no more than 2 minutes to hack one. They have been working on fixing it. However it's still not Blackberry strong.

Hacker Says iPhone 3GS Encryption Is ‘Useless’ for Businesses | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

20. D_Gunther Snotpole

Correct your grammar?
    Hell, no.
    She's perfekt, aNd vEry SweEt.

Draft saved Draft deleted