Appraising Jewelery

Media
I found a ring someone gave to me years ago that has no sentimental value anymore to me. I'm not exactly sure if it's even worth much or if it was cheap, but would a jeweler be able to give me a ballpark of what the piece is worth? Do they typically charge a fee for that? On the off chance its worth something, where are the various places I could sell it? I have some errands to do tomorrow and there's a jeweler nearby I believe. I plan to stop in there and ask but I thought I'd see what the wise people of LPSG tell me here.

Jewelers appraise jewelry all the time. Ask first if it's worth being appraised and then ask the jeweler to appraise it. It is unethical for the jeweler to then ask to purchase the piece. Always sell it to another jeweler.

If it's worth much of anything though, consider putting it on eBay as you'll be able to get a fair price for it. Be sure to ask the retail and wholesale value of the piece, not the insurance value. There are generally very wide differences in each valuation.

If it's a valuable piece, be sure to get a GIA certificate from the jeweler.

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Some jewelers will do appraisals or give you a ball park value. I would suggest you get three ball park values from three different jewelers. What ever value they tell you, don't sell it to any of them. They'll only give you a wholesale value then mark it up for retail to sell and make a profit. If there is value there, get a professional independent appraisal so you can prove to any potential buyers the real value.

You can sell it at auction but you'll very get the full value.

I would have a full professional appraisal done then advertise it for sell. You'll never get the full value but you should do a lot better by handling the sale yourself.