Appreciation for our boys over there

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

gushiggins: I just want to take some time, and this thread, to thank everyone who kept me sane while I was over in Iraq. I just got out of a 15-month-long deployment, and it would have been a hell of a lot worse if I hadn't had the lpsg to unwind with after those 14-hour shifts. To those who messaged me telling me that they supported me; to those who wrote wonderful, inspiring, and hilarious posts; and especially to those with whom I had the honor of exchanging personal and instant messages, I give you my heartfelt gratitude.

For the record, this site is officially blocked by the Army computers because of the page where you have to say that you're 18 years old, so I do not know how many lpsg soldiers we still have over there (we intel analysts know our way around firewalls :)); however, please keep supporting our troops. I am not asking you readers to support the war, or even the letter W (sounds like Sesame Street: this war was brought to you by the letter W and the number 43), but our soldiers and Marines over there are fighting for a bigger cause than oil or even a democratic Iraq -- they're fighting for their lives.

Thank you.
    -Z

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Thanks, gus, we needed that.

3. Imported

Gold Member

hung: Well stated and presented to all of us here in the United States of America and all freedom loving individuals everywhere else. Thank You. You are but one of thousands of Heroes. Thank You!!!!!!!

4. Imported

Gold Member

theweeicemon: You can trust the USA for using its Weapons of Mass Deception

5. Imported

Gold Member

gushiggins: I always called it Weapons of Mass Distraction. Oh well.

And on a site where there are so many Weapons of Ass Destruction. . .

-Z

6. Imported

Gold Member

rangersean: gus, thank you for sharing. Yes, no matter our feelings about 43, the troops always deserve our support, and have mine.

7. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: Dear Z,

Many are honored to have one of our own serve. :-*

Those against letters and numbers sometmes forget that the policy makers and those who must carry out the policies don't share responsibility for the unpopular decisions. And some of us pray for you guys daily.

Glad you made it home safe and relatively sound. [Well, you weren't that sound of mind before, I suspect. ;)]

8. Imported

Gold Member

LA8PV: [quote author=gushiggins link=board=meetgreet;num=1082658913;start=0#0 date=04/22/04 at 11:26:12]For the record, this site is officially blocked by the Army computers because of the page where you have to say that you're 18 years old
    [/quote]
    That's interesting...    I didn't know that the US army sent minors to the war in Iraq, but at least it's good to know that they protect their young soliders from adult content on the net.
    ;-)

9. jonb

Gold Member

They sent minors to Nam, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

10. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: well, if the minor joins ;)

anyway,
    welcome home!

yes we have some mixed views about the cause of this war... and supporting it. But we support our soldiers!

Tender

11. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: That page informs the gov't computers that this is an "adult" site and then the computers block access - in big honking letters, I suspect.

12. Imported

Gold Member

gushiggins: To clarify: wvalady explained it much better than I; the site is not allowed on Army computers because of the adult content, and the reason the Army knows that this site contains adult content is because of the opening page asking you if you are over 18.

LA8PV is right as well: you can enlist at 17, and technically be sent over to Iraq before your 18th birthday (as long as you attend a specialty school that takes less than four months to complete, for basic training takes two months and there is usually a six-month window between reporting to your first unit and getting deployed, in order for you to get familiar with the unit). I knew two soldiers who had their 18th birthday in Iraq, and a bunch who had their 21st.

Yes, we got them drunk for their birthdays. If you happen not to know what Arak is, it's a licorice-flavored liquor (like Uzo, but a little stronger) made from dates (the fruit, not people Saddam took out to dinner). Yum.

-Z

13. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

gushiggins: Several times I've passed up this thread after seeing it in 'Meet and Greet", without realizing its being a post by a person who has been doing so much for me. Had I taken time to read it, I would have immediately responted. Words can't express the indebtedness I feel for your time spent in the service of our country and I'm thankful you have returned to it.

Thank you for letting us know that you are one of "us" and we respect and honor your commitment, as well as your gracious post of thanks.

Peace, Luke

14. Imported

Gold Member

gushiggins: Thank you, Luke -- it really means a lot to me.

Hee hee -- one of us! One of us! One of us!

-Z

15. jay_too

jay_too New Member

Thanks and welcome back....and I hope you take some time to experience the many great things about America.

jay

16. Imported

Gold Member

bblumbee: Welcome home, Bri!

It is sooooooooo great to have you home. I know that you have been anxiously awaiting your return. I trust things have been well for you since your return and that you are finally slowing down and catching up on your breath! ;)

Anyway, thanks for everything that you've done as well as the guys still serving overseas. Our prayers and thoughts are with them as well as their families.

- bb

17. Ecchi

Ecchi New Member

Albums:
    Amazed the military hasn't bitch slapped that moron Bush yet. Amazed we all aren't lining up to bitch slap Bush. At this point they're fighting for the oil, and thats all. God Bless them all for fighting so hard, but its getting ridiculous. If Bush ain't out in November, I am so leaving the country.

18. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

[quote author=Ecchi link=board=meetgreet;num=1082658913;start=0#16 date=04/26/04 at 15:05:04]If Bush ain't out in November, I am so leaving the country.[/quote]

I'm sure the originator of this string could recommend some nice towns in Iraq.

19. Ecchi

Ecchi New Member

Albums:
    Bush has done nothing good for this country. Yes, he initiated the war on terrorism, but with only his gain in mind. Don't get down on me just because I see Bush as a thief, idiot and cancer on this nation (which he is).

20. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

You are intitled to your opinions, Ecchi, but please do your ranting in an appropriate area on the board.

Recognition is being given to those brave Americans who are/have been in the service of our country, on the front lines, just trying to help each other live long enough to return home.

Some of us can gratefully shake a soldier's hand without ruining the honor by denigrating his Commander in Chief.

Draft saved Draft deleted