Arachnophobia

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Those sneaky bastards are NOT going to chow on me in my sleep if I can help it.

Not wishing to freak you out even more, but what they do is to drink from the corners of your eyes. (wouldn't be my first choice, but hey :biggrin1:)

Just leave a saucer of water out for them and they will happily clear your house of flies etc.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not wishing to freak you out even more, but what they do is to drink from the corners of your eyes. (wouldn't be my first choice, but hey :biggrin1:)

Just leave a saucer of water out for them and they will happily clear your house of flies etc.

Here I was expecting you to describe in great detail how you would chow on her in her sleep.

Disappointing. :biggrin1:

wldhoney

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I am terrified of them! I have two stainless steel shop vacs. One downstairs and one up, and they are my spider killers. I have had several bad experiences over them.

I have some of the large garden ones outside, and as long as they stay there I am fine. It's when they come into the house that all bets are off!

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have some of the large garden ones outside

Yep...I almost walked into this beauty (Argiope) while mowing the lawn this past weekend. She had to be at least four inches across with her legs spanned out...and I don't mean internet inches. The second photo is rotated for ease on the eyes...she's actually hanging upside down in her web, so the right edge of the image point toward the ground.

I've always been fascinated with these creatures. You really shouldn't kill them, as they devour an enormous amount of pest insects around your house and lawn. One summer in college, I trapped a black widow spider on a construction site and kept her in a terrarium for months, feeding her all manner of various bugs. They're actually quite beautiful to observe.

Attachments

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You don't have to go all Garfield on the poor spiders, if you don't like them, place a glass over them and slide a piece of paper under the spider so that it is in the glass. That is how my mother handles them in her house, she just takes them outside; my wife removes black widow spiders in the same way where she works. I haven't found a black widow in our house or basement yet but it will get the same treatment, just like the scorpion I found on the basement wall quite awhile back.

When I was in college I found a spider in the bathroom of some friends of mine, she asked me to kill it which I wouldn't do. The only way I could save the spiders life was if I carried it down her street to the other side of the main road and carry it across the bridge to the other side of the creek, nearly a 1/4 mile altogether. I'm glad that I am not that afraid of anything.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I like spiders. When I was a little kid I use to sit for hours watching daddy long legs build their webs. I have some photos of webs in the morning light with dew drops hanging on them...really beautiful.
When I was a teen, we lived in Florida and my Mum kept two wolf spiders in the house to control the bugs. Sometimes you would open a cupboard door (especially under a bathroom sink) and there would be a 4 inch grey spider staring at you! EEK! They were no problem and way better than spraying pesticides inside and outside around the house.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I let spiders be unless others freak out about them. Then I'll trap them in a cup with a piece of paper and release them outside. They kill all the other pesky bugs.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I find spiders fascinating, useful critters, and usually scoop then up in a glass and put them outside. But, since I was bitten on the finger in my sleep by a Brown Recluse spider, I have been less thoughtful. After an hour, my hand and arm swelled up unbelievably and looked like the Michelin man's. I went to the hospital and was surprised that the treatment was a steroid.

Onan

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Those weren't daddy long-legs you were watching...those little guys don't have silk glands (and technically aren't even spiders at all).

You are right. But whatever they were, that's what we called 'em :smile: I had a fight with the neighbor kid cuz he liked to pull the legs off 'em.

Last summer, in the place I was staying, I got some spider bites on my ass. They took months to heal and eventully a friend opened them up and dug out a hard little nut from them. We THINK they were spiders because their were quite a few tiny little guys around the place.

avalonlovelove

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yuck spiders are so fucking ugly lol!I hate having arachnophobia but I dont exactly want to become chummy with one of those disgusting hairy things.I ran into a spiders web literally going to take the trash down.I thought I got the web off of me and sure enough it was.But the spider wasnt.I looked over to my right and what was hanging off of me ?Why a web of course with a spider attached to it.That sucker was big lol!Strange I like the movie Arachnophobia but that film still freaks me out when I watch it.Like one particular part in the beginning.The part where they have these little things that catch insects in the jungle.One of the dumb guys walks up to the thing and sees a big spider lying motionless.A minute later the spider still looks dead and then WHAM!I jumped so fucking high lol.:eek::eek::cool:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yep...I almost walked into this beauty (Argiope) while mowing the lawn this past weekend.
I LOVE those spiders! When we were kids, my brother and I would catch grasshoppers and feed them to our "pet" Argiope spider!

I'm not especially keen about spiders being in my house, but I don't freak about it. I also try to use the "capture and release" method.

Snoozan, the pine tree and the star magnolia tree in my back yard have quite a few of those little brown wood spiders. They a mesmerizing to watch as they build the web... and they eat the old web to conserve protein.