Archbishop: Sharia law in UK 'seems unavoidable'

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Religious and secular groups have criticised the Archbishop of Canterbury after he said the adoption of elements of Islamic sharia law in the UK "seems unavoidable".

Dr Rowan Williams said there was a place for finding a "constructive accommodation" in areas such as marriage - allowing Muslim women to avoid western divorce proceedings.

But his comments have been criticised by Christian and secular groups, while a spokesman for Prime Minister Gordon Brown insisted British law would be based on British values, and sharia law would be no justification for acting against national law.

Mr Brown's spokesman said: "Our general position is that sharia law cannot be used as a justification for committing breaches of English law, nor should the principles of sharia law be included in a civil court for resolving contractual disputes.

"If there are specific instances like stamp duty, where changes can be made in a way that's consistent with British law and British values, in a way to accommodate the values of fundamental Muslims, that is something the Government would look at."

This belief is nothing new and improving Christian/Muslim relations is something of a crusade for him, but it's the first time I can recall hearing it so publicly from the head of the Anglican church.

Sharia law comments criticised - Yahoo! News UK

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I can't understand why anyone would choose to follow such a outdated and barbaric set of laws. I think this examplifies the fact that the muslim culture is opposing itself too much on the British people. I'm all for equality and when one set of people gets treated differently to another; then it's time for change.

thedrainman

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If they don'tlike British law and the British way of doing things - don't come here (or do they like our free health service and the handouts they automatically get?). I do not remember past immigrants such as the Ugandan Asians demanding changes to the law etc. It seems that the British establishment is always falling over backwards to accommodate
and be PC, particularly towards those from the Middle East. - fortunately the government have decided that this is a no-no.

Gonzo3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I think this guy has a point.

EnglandNeeds A Leader Like This!
image001.jpg
<B>

Prime Minister John Howard - Australia
</B><B>

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote: 'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.'
</B><B>

'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom,

'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.'

'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country you accepted.
</B>

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass EC_body.hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}​

thoswood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Howard overlooks the genocide and land-grab that positioned the spawn of white, Christian, mostly criminal, British colonials to declare "Love it or Leave it!"

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not saying this just for Muslims, but I still do not understand why if someone wants to live in a foreign country, why do they want the laws of the country they left to follow them?

I'm not saying this to be mean, it just seems a bit hypocritical.

D

deleted213967

...because to many of them Islam is not a country but a trans-border nation.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I wonder how many Islamic countries would accept a seperate rule of law for Christians?

NONE!

Its a fucking mockery. I agree 100&#37; with John Howard.

Ever heard the expression 'when in Rome'?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I have a lot of time for Dr. Williams, so I will need to digest his comments. Though at first glance they seem to be a fundamental attack on secular government.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it's unavoidable, Islam is the largest growing religion in the world, there's a growing population in the UK who have more babies than what we think of as the indigent population do, when they're the majority Sharia law will be introduced. I hope I'm dead by then and my children are safely out of the country, I don't want to live in a country where such harsh and inhumane laws are administered.

D

deleted213967

France, which has a huge Muslim population, banned religious symbols (including Muslim veils) in schools. The measure was criticized by some of the media outlets (including the liberal ones) in the US.

Was the sentiment similar across the Atlantic?

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think it's unavoidable, Islam is the largest growing religion in the world, there's a growing population in the UK who have more babies than what we think of as the indigent population do, when they're the majority Sharia law will be introduced. I hope I'm dead by then and my children are safely out of the country, I don't want to live in a country where such harsh and inhumane laws are administered.

It all sounds crazy really. Couldn't they kind of administer it by county? So that rather than the whole country being subject, they just have one area under sharia law.

I guess I just can't wrap my head around that idea. I mean British Law is centuries old and to bring in that law sounds rather foolish at best.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People might say, to be politically correct, that we welcome Muslims, but there's a lot of unrest about it here, I'll probably get shouted down, but anyone who talks with friends, with people on the street, with anyone in an unguarded moment is bloody sick of the way they come over here then want us to kowtow to their 'needs', we're not allowed to comment on Islam in any way negatively without them kicking up a fuss, whilst they think they're entitled to preach hatred and destruction towards whoever they want. Veils should be banned, they're divisive and used as a way of remaining separate apart from the legal implications. If you come here be prepared to fit in here.

D

deleted213967

It all sounds crazy really. Couldn't they kind of administer it by county? So that rather than the whole country being subject, they just have one area under sharia law.

I guess I just can't wrap my head around that idea. I mean British Law is centuries old and to bring in that law sounds rather foolish at best.
Dude,

The Sharia law simply doesn't mesh well with the US Constitution. They are ... [searching for word]... mutually exclusive?

The big difference between the US and the EU is that the relative Muslim population is much smaller here. In France, UK, Germany, ... it is close to or above 10%.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think this guy has a point.

EnglandNeeds A Leader Like This!

Prime Minister John Howard - Australia
Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.
Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote: 'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.'
'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'
'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!'
'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'
'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'
'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom,
'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.'
'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country you accepted.
This guy has balls, he has said what many people think. If Austraila can spare him can he come to the USA.

Allowing immigration like they have is the worst thing Europe could have done. The worst. This will lead to wars and possible genocide.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
People might say, to be politically correct, that we welcome Muslims, but there's a lot of unrest about it here, I'll probably get shouted down, but anyone who talks with friends, with people on the street, with anyone in an unguarded moment is bloody sick of the way they come over here then want us to kowtow to their 'needs', we're not allowed to comment on Islam in any way negatively without them kicking up a fuss, whilst they think they're entitled to preach hatred and destruction towards whoever they want. Veils should be banned, they're divisive and used as a way of remaining separate apart from the legal implications. If you come here be prepared to fit in here.

Exactly. The old adage says "When in Rome do as the Romans do", not "When in Rome do as the Egyptians do."

Dude,

The Sharia law simply doesn't mesh well with the US Constitution. They are ... [searching for word]... mutually exclusive?

The big difference between the US and the EU is that the relative Muslim population is much smaller here. In France, UK, Germany, ... it is close to or above 10%.

I hear you on the mutually exclusive part, but I am pretty sure we have a pretty significant Muslim populus, I just can't see why they are so much more vocal in the EU than here? And I doubt it has to do with numbers.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media

But none of this type of shit has ever stuck in Britain, Cromwellian christian nutters et al. Or do you think we are facing the Borg now?