Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone in favor of this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/17/nyregion/17sugartax.html

Or is that a serious impingement on our freedoms?
You have the right to remain fat. Anything you eat can be used against you in your bowels.
And no trips on cruise ships.......

Obese tourist airlifted from ship
I was having fun with all the jokes about fatness, but that's just sad. On the other hand, look at the bright side: the ship could probably cruise on much less fuel after the guy was removed from it.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I really think everyone who is quick to quote obesity statistics in the US should spend 30 seconds here and compute his/her Body Mass Index (BMI).

According to that website, when the pix in my gallery were taken I was 0.3 points from being "overweight". Since beginning testosterone replacement therapy, I've put on about 20 pounds (of water, mostly) and am 1.2 points from "obesity".

Yeah, right...

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really think everyone who is quick to quote obesity statistics in the US should spend 30 seconds here and compute his/her Body Mass Index (BMI).

According to that website, when the pix in my gallery were taken I was 0.3 points from being "overweight". Since beginning testosterone replacement therapy, I've put on about 20 pounds (of water, mostly) and am 1.2 points from "obesity".

Yeah, right...

The body mass index is pretty much a complete crock of shit as far as the assessment of individuals is concerned. It takes no account whatever of body composition, which is what obesity is all about. Instead, it identifies obesity with having a certain proportion of weight (or mass) to height (or rather the square of height). By that standard, anyone with a very muscular body, even if his or her body fat is extremely low, will count as "obese." [Added in editing: I was thinking of professional body builders, but I just looked at Bbucko's photos and he comes pretty close.] I am 5' 9" and weigh 160 pounds, which gives me a BMI of 23.6. That puts me just 1.4 points below the transition to "overweight." Yeah, right: you can see from my avatar photo how near I am to being overweight. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, for making estimates of the incidence of obesity in a population, the BMI is informative. This is because, in the vast majority of cases (I don't know how many, but I would guess above 90%), those who have a high BMI do not owe it to muscle weight but to fat weight.

Last edited:

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Absolutely right. Look at this map of fatness in the USA. With the exception of Oregon (which surprised me),

Actually I am not surprised by Oregon. Outside of Eugene, Corvalis and Portland, there are some big folks there. What is amazing on the map is how much fitter America was 15 years ago; no state had over 20% obese then, now the only state with less than 20% is CO. Even if you discount the one-size-fits-all BMI, there is no question America is unhealthfully fat. It's disheartening...