Are Americans more self-obsessed than other people?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Drifterwood, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Not to generalise of course :rolleyes:

If so, why?

2. agnslz

Gold Member

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

4. agnslz

Gold Member

Ha, I took the easy way out. I didn't want to have to explain anything.:tongue:

5. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
  6. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because we're better than you. :tongue:

Seriously, isn't that the unconscious consensus of many Americans? This country has been touted as having the highest standard of living in the world, something thats' not true and hasn't been for a while. Odd how we delude ourselves, eh?

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Americans aren't more self-obsessed, but it seems that way sometimes, because of the way Americans express that self-obsession.

8. No_Strings

Gold Member

I'm English, why would I care about foreigners? :biggrin1:

9. dong20

Gold Member

:smile::smile:

Individually - only in an operational day to day self, much like eveyone.

Nationally - very much so, I believe.

Self obsessed is perhaps the wrong term though, I'd say it's more a state of comfortable, nostaligiac denial about the changing realities of the world and America's changing role within it.

Britain has been there, and done that, now, maybe it's America's turn. It's OK, you will survive.

10. wldhoney

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually, we are not different than any other nation. If anything, from the amount of threads about the US, I would say others are self-obsessed about us.

I've been around the world,was born and lived in Germany, and there are countries that I haven't cared for at all, but I don't assume to know everything about them, nor do I assume that every person in that country is a rude, obnoxious ass. Never mind where in Europe that was.

It's no different than stating any other type or racism, or prejudism, or stereo type and is extremely narrow minded.

I love being an American. I wouldn't choose a single other country to be from. Ever. I still respect other cultures, and I enjoy visiting other places, but there is no place like our country. If anything, we can't seem to keep others OUT! There is something to be said for a place that people will risk their lives to get to.

11. simcha

Gold Member

What do you mean self-obsessed?

Is my hair OK? Is my shirt wrinkled? Wait, I'll come back after I've gotten myself together...

12. viking1

Gold Member

Yes. Why? The USA is the land of excess, and rich spoiled brats...

13. dong20

Gold Member

Yes, but viewed objectively, I suspect for many, the 'illusion' may turn out to have been rather more alluring than a generally rather less glamorous reality, much like the streets of London being paved with gold.

Naturally, such a judgement will depend on many factors; not the least of which (for a citizen) being the particular rung in society from which one renders it or (for a migrant) the rung at which one enters it.

Alleged 3rd party self obsession aside, having spent much time in the US over the years, I love it and I get back when I can, but I'd never want to live there.

Like you, I have 'been around the block once or twice' and while I agree there's no place like home, that doesn't necessarily make it the best place. :smile:

14. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

cant U efen spel generalize?
    Evry merkin can ,,,. ..

15. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think our noisy and far flung media with its propensity for zealously promoting all the accoutrements of pop culture certainly makes us appear more self absorbed.

16. Osiris

Gold Member

You hit that on the head. The world tends to define us by our often braggart media.

In high school there was a girl named Peta who was an exchange student from Australia. When asked what was most surprising to her she said:

"People here are not like what I thought at all. All I knew about America was what I saw on The Brady Bunch."

And I am sure there is a lot of the world who judge us by CSI: Miami.

Every nation has it's self obsessed contingent. We are no different from any other country on that point.

17. Osiris

Gold Member

I HATE my network this morning. Sorry about the double post.

18. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Its encouraging when I hear things like that because I want others to realize America's a big country with a lots of different types of people, most of whom aren't represented by pop consumer culture ideals or other stereotypes.

Perhaps those exchange student visits aren't just a lark after all.

19. Osiris

Gold Member

We hosted a German exchange student when I was a senior and he said about the same thing only his show was "All in the Family".

On the upside Speedo, they both left with much better and positive views of us than when they arrived. An old school chum had said Peta was actually trying to move back.

We must have done something right.

20. Mana

Mana Member

Albums:
    I agree with you completely. :biggrin1: I just returned from living in Spain for a year, and I had people asking me if our high schools were really like "High School Musical" and if we all drove around with very expensive cars and lived the "American" life. What is the American life exactly? :tongue:

But the people who tend to believe these things don't "really" know an American. My boyfriend, from Spain, used to have the same stereotypes about Americans.. but nowadays, he can't stop talking about how much the two places are alike. Most of the time people from other countries have met Americans on the Internet, and sorry to say, even a 'stupid' person can log online and chat. So, we don't exactly have a bright bunch of us surfing the web.

I remember once I entered a chatroom and I started to talk Spanish to a Hispanic, and some guy immediately said: stop talkin in espanol! this is america. Hm.. I didn't know the Internet was "American" :rolleyes: ... that would explain all the spam and pop-up ads I get telling me to buy stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted