Are Atlanta police homophobic?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Are Atlanta police homophobic?
The owners of an Atlanta gay bar say their establishment was unfairly targeted by police conducting a raid Thursday evening. “I’m thinking, this is Stonewall. It’s like I stepped into the wrong decade,” said Nick Koperski, 31, who had just gotten to the bar when the raid, involving more than a dozen police officers, some in plain clothes, commenced. Patrons at the Stonewall Inn staged a series of riots against New York police in 1969, saying they were routinely harassed because of their sexual orientation. The protests are credited with kick starting the modern gay rights movement.

In a statement released early Friday evening, the APD said the city "received several complaints with descriptive information about alleged criminal conduct at the Atlanta Eagle Club located at 306 Ponce De Leon."

Hundreds rally against raid of gay leather bar
Hundreds of people gathered in the parking lot of the Atlanta Eagle Sunday to protest the raid conducted by Atlanta police on Thursday night. Patrons have accused APD officers of harassment as well as using anti-gay epithets during the raid. Eight employees were arrested and 62 patrons were forced to lie on the ground for up to an hour as officers did background checks and individual searches. Those arrested have a hearing in Municipal Court Monday morning. Robby Kelley, co-owner of the bar and one of those arrested, said tonight the Atlanta Eagle plans to file an official complaint Monday and he will also file a personal complaint.
"There were 62 victims, not including the staff. And not one person had a weapon or drugs on them," he said. "When they couldn't find anything, an officer said, 'I guess we have to go through IDs' and he brought in a laptop. All of this was against their civil rights. There was no probable cause. Why did they have to have up to 30 police officers to control 62 homosexuals?"

I can't believe shit like this is still happening?!? :irked: :angryfire2: