Are auto-flush toilets crap?!

How do you feel about auto-flush toilets?

• Auto-flush toilets are useful members of society. I have several on my friends list.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • I love auto flush toilets so much I'm having them installed in my home!

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • * sob * I lost my BFF when she was auto-flushed down the toilet

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Auto-flush toilets are the work of the devil and his food cake.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Oh, fuck off... who cares?

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SR_Ethan Hunke

Just Browsing
Media
I personally don't like them too much. I like that you don't need to touch a handle to flush, but sometimes those things sound like a jet engine. Also, some flush when you are not even finished.

D_Hey Sailor

Experimental Member
Media
I recently used an unfamiliar bathroom and to my dismay once I had finished my business I couldn't figure out how to flush the bloody toilet. I was honestly panic-stricken until I realized there were two teeny-tiny little recessed buttons in the lid for the reservoir thingy. I have no clue why there were two, but the one I pressed worked, so hoorah.

After this, I am of the opinion that all toilets should be as simple, straight-forward, standardized, and manual as possible. Oh and a bit higher!

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Mixed feelings.

They flush when you dont want them to.
When you do want them to, they don't.

I think it makes people lazy not to flush.
But then again...dirty bastards were too lazy to flush even with the old flusher - which completely baffles my mind that people could be so dirty.

But then again...I've been sitting in the stall, and hear them get up, not wipe - and walk right out.
Ugh...People.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You hit one of my husband's nerves with water conservation. Hoo boy! I dare not throw out the pasta water, starch is good for the plants. The toilet is definitely his pet peeve. He wants to install one of those two-button systems, but we have a very old American toilet in our master bath that I adore. He wants one of those low-capacity system with a "jet-flush" and I'm scared to ask him what that is.

As for self-flush, meh. Like you said, it always flushes twice with me. The only downside is anyone waiting thinks I'm finished so I have to tell them to wait. So I guess I don't care for them either.

Home Depot sells one that works quite well (American Standard EcoFusion toilet) and costs half as much as similar models. I recently installed two of them. My only warning is that the included plastic seat is awful. Buy a better seat or keep the seat from your existing toilet.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I spend a great deal of time in Tokyo and at first the novelty of the toilets was amusing but I really have no desire to own one. Toilets in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL, a couple of years ago, I rented a house that had two of these creatures. My kids used to lure friends into the bathroom, tell them to look down the loo.., and then squirt them in the face.

Good fun for everyone! :biggrin1:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think some of you all would die if you had to live in the real world. Flushing with your feet? lol

At my factory we have six porcelain squatters. Totally low tech with a short hose for rinsing off and a pull chain to release the water from the tank that is mounted near the ceiling. There are benefits. It is a completely no touch system so there is no possibility of germs touching your pristine butts. You have to have decent quads and glutes to get up from that position and no one spends much time in there because your legs go to sleep if you squat for too long.

At home we have the standard two button in-wall tank with a wall mounted toilet. The bidet spout is built-in to the rim of the toilet so it's very convenient and sanitary.

Auto-flushers are common in public spaces here and they seem to work ok.

I once stayed a month at a North African hotel that had similar facilities. But it was the PUBLIC squatters that terrified me. At night, there were cockroaches almost as big as my hand! :eek:

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Here in Australia when we were in the middle of a drought and there was massive water restrictions, people, who didn't have the duel system, managed to cut down on the amount of water used by their toilets by putting a standard house brick (or two) in their toilet cistern.
It's an easy fix to reducing water usage.

You hit one of my husband's nerves with water conservation. Hoo boy! I dare not throw out the pasta water, starch is good for the plants. The toilet is definitely his pet peeve. He wants to install one of those two-button systems, but we have a very old American toilet in our master bath that I adore. He wants one of those low-capacity system with a "jet-flush" and I'm scared to ask him what that is.

As for self-flush, meh. Like you said, it always flushes twice with me. The only downside is anyone waiting thinks I'm finished so I have to tell them to wait. So I guess I don't care for them either.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fuck everyone seems to be your attitude. Including the next woman in line who touches the handle after your shoe was on it and the last point of contact of the shoe was the bathroom floor. Not nice. Maybe your smilie will make her feel better.

If she's dumb enough to touch the handle, hopefully she's bright enough to wash her hands. It is common in the community in which I was raised to teach children not to handle things with their hands in public restrooms. Children are taught to flush with their feet. I don't touch anything I don't have to. If the stall door will lodge closed with just a hip-check, I don't touch that either. You can go on ahead and keep touching everything you encounter next to a public toilet and see where that gets you and those who live with you.

Serial Kisser

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Fuck everyone seems to be your attitude. Including the next woman in line who touches the handle after your shoe was on it and the last point of contact of the shoe was the bathroom floor. Not nice. Maybe your smilie will make her feel better.

She should know better and flush it with her shoe too. I NEVER touch public bathroom flushers with my hand. Ever. Shoe or no dice.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She should know better and flush it with her shoe too. I NEVER touch public bathroom flushers with my hand. Ever. Shoe or no dice.
could all of you please stop assuming that everyone is able bodied enough to do that!

the elderly, those with joint & balance problems, people with learning disabilities, someone with an artificial limb or a broken leg in a cast, someone with dwarfism, etc, etc, etc.

:mad:

it's pissing me off.

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They are absolutely necessary where I work because of the slobs I work with. Until they had these installed the toilets were NEVER flushed. I had a few secret places across the plant where I could go in relative peace and cleanliness. They still annoy the hell outta me though. I would much rather people be clean , but I guess that's asking way too much.

Side note: why don't we have the 3 seashells from Demolition Man yet?! Lol

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
touch the door handle,
touch the dirty handle,
touch the tap,
wash hands,
touch the tap,
dry hands,
touch the door handle.

ew.
this is why i use the hand sanitiser i keep in my purse, after i leave the restroom.

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Some auto-flushers won't work when the lid is raised and blocking the sensors. So guys that raise the lid to pee leave, thinking the toilet will eventually flush, but it doesn't. This happens all the time in a renovated theatre's dressing rooms, where there are no urinals.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If you washed your hands afterwards...:wink:

Are people getting too hygiene "obstressed"!
Slightly.

I have a great idea for American public washrooms... Surgical rubber glove dispensers. We could make a fortune I think. Also, a dispenser for those disposable plastic galoshes you can pull on over your shoes would be a hit by the sound of things. Or how about a gizmo that would automatically spray disinfectant on the flush handle after each use? Could sell that idea to Lysol...