Are communal or gang showers dissapearing?

D

deleted140118

work out extra hard.
all you'll think of under the shower is how good the water feels.

So true! After my cardio session I’m normally exhausted and just love the feel of the water over looking around at other guys. Lol

Reactions: LGA

LGA

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
So true! After my cardio session I’m normally exhausted and just love the feel of the water over looking around at other guys. Lol

Yeah to be fair, the last couple of sessions I've been knackered and dripping with sweat and all I focused on was showering and cooling down.....not popped a hard on yet!

The Y in downtown Saint Paul, MN as well as the one on Blaisdell in Minneapolis both still have open communal showers.

Reactions: Txprvdude

squadleader

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Some of us are old enough to remember the "march thru" tunnel showers which were used at some large high schools, colleges and at some military training bases. A trip thru these showers didn't provide sufficient time for discomfort or "extra-curricular" activities.

upload_2018-10-24_9-40-19.png

Lynx_prt

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Some of us are old enough to remember the "march thru" tunnel showers which were used at some large high schools, colleges and at some military training bases. A trip thru these showers didn't provide sufficient time for discomfort or "extra-curricular" activities.

View attachment 1328185
I had never seen such a thing! What was the justification for such a thing?

Yes, group have been disappearing. Some gyms have remodeled/ "upgraded" their locker rooms with only new private showers.

Of course, this leaves fewer showers to use, and they're not as clean either.

I've seen a few people wear a bathing suit even when using an individual stall with a curtain. What's the point? I respect people's choices in this scenario though and kind of feel sorry for them.

Some days, it's almost 100°F outside, I hate to be sweaty all day so I always shower. Some use the cheap body spray instead. It smells awful.

I don't recall seeing anything inappropriate/out of the ordinary when I shower. It's mainly just people trying to get clean, dressed, and ready for the day. Most people are pretty chill.

I wish they'd keep the open showers. : /.

GoingOnABoeing

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

View attachment 1328185

That doesn't seem like it would be very effective. How does the top half of your body get clean?

Reactions: Sunstar

squadleader

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
That doesn't seem like it would be very effective. How does the top half of your body get clean?

I had never seen such a thing! What was the justification for such a thing?

A trip thru a tunnel shower was something like a conveyor ride thru a car wash. There were spray jets in the walls and ceiling and you just walked at arms length behind the man ahead of you. Some of the installations sprayed a soap solution near the entrance. I know of a military base where a guy was assigned to sit in an alcove and use something like a garden sprayer to spray soap as the parade went thru. Don't know if he was military or civilian, but would have made for an interesting response to "What did you do in the war, Daddy?". You guys should be able to figure out the purpose of the upward directed spray. The military base used nothing more than a straddle pipe, but the photo is from Harvard or Yale so they spent the big bucks to have a company such as Brady streamline the plumbing. Regardless, pitty the poor, short legged schleps who got stuck on top of the stream when the line stopped. The purpose of the tunnel showers was to shower down a large number of men, in a short period of time minimizing water consumption.

Lynx_prt

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A trip thru a tunnel shower was something like a conveyor ride thru a car wash. There were spray jets in the walls and ceiling and you just walked at arms length behind the man ahead of you. Some of the installations sprayed a soap solution near the entrance. I know of a military base where a guy was assigned to sit in an alcove and use something like a garden sprayer to spray soap as the parade went thru. Don't know if he was military or civilian, but would have made for an interesting response to "What did you do in the war, Daddy?". You guys should be able to figure out the purpose of the upward directed spray. The military base used nothing more than a straddle pipe, but the photo is from Harvard or Yale so they spent the big bucks to have a company such as Brady streamline the plumbing. Regardless, pitty the poor, short legged schleps who got stuck on top of the stream when the line stopped. The purpose of the tunnel showers was to shower down a large number of men, in a short period of time minimizing water consumption.
Thanks for answering and explaining this strange structure. So, the reason was just to make economies through the reduction of water consumption... I was wondering if it had anything to do with public health or something... But whatever the reason was, it seems kind of humiliating, to be honest. Was this a non-issue or were there any controversies regarding using this kind of almost cattle-like system?

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for answering and explaining this strange structure. So, the reason was just to make economies through the reduction of water consumption... I was wondering if it had anything to do with public health or something... But whatever the reason was, it seems kind of humiliating, to be honest. Was this a non-issue or were there any controversies regarding using this kind of almost cattle-like system?
I've never seen this. Takes all the appeal out of group showers!

squadleader

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

These were used in large high schools, colleges with large PE programs and at a few military recruit training bases. In that era most every male was used to nude swimming and showering starting in Jr. High years. There is mention in some blogs that the systems were advertised to "reduce undesirable behavior" which most interpreted was to reduce masturbation in the showers, but I doubt that was the major selling point. You have to understand that they were installed about the time the baby boom generation was going thru that age, and for the most part schools showers and locker rooms didn't have capacity to serve the large numbers of students. Also during the draft, some training centers had 4000 or more recruits requiring triple bunks and limited latrine and shower access, so this was the most efficient way to shower down the soldiers. In the traditional shower room designs, there would always be a few guys camping under the shower heads resulting in others waiting and being late for class, but the tunnel shower equally rationed spray time so it is possible some students favored these. Just sayin!

AF005E3C-5F77-4ACE-BDB5-9A5D435600D1.jpeg

This picture was taken in the 1930s. It’s awesome that the Y has continued the tradition of open showers to this day while other gyms have caved in to hyper modesty and body shame that is now so prevalent among men. This is why I still go to the Y!

I was scared of open showers for years. When I finally broke down and used some I found that it wasn’t a big deal. Guys would chat some and there was a little comreadarie among the regulars. I think most men are fine with that.

I was scared of open showers for years. When I finally broke down and used some I found that it wasn’t a big deal. Guys would chat some and there was a little comreadarie among the regulars. I think most men are fine with that.
I had a similar experience. Recently joined the Y and have been enjoying a hot shower after my workout. I was really nervous but at quickly getting used to it. I’d never used a locker room before.

I was nervous when I first started using them over 30 years ago now. Once you conquer your fear, you realize it never was the big deal you blew it up to be in your mind. I think every guy goes through this at first. Once you get over it, it becomes as natural as breathing. In fact, I always walk naked to the shower from my locker room with just my toiletry bag in my hand. Once in the wet area, I'm naked using the toilet/urinal, open shower, steam room and hot tub as are other guys. It saves so much aggravation and anxiety once you get over it. If anything, it's quite liberating. Don't even get me started on the ludicrous towel dance as guys get changed. I have found that guys' guards come down and that they're friendlier when naked around each other. I've made more friends at the gym over the years naked in the locker room than clothed on the gym floor.

Reactions: JayPR and Lynx_prt

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I have found that guys' guards come down and that they're friendlier when naked around each other.

More than a couple coaches told me they had less trouble with fights in PE classes when they could make all the boys shower together NAKED. Its hard to pick a fight with someone you have to stand beside naked twice a day.

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I was nervous when I first started using them over 30 years ago now. Once you conquer your fear, you realize it never was the big deal you blew it up to be in your mind. I think every guy goes through this at first. Once you get over it, it becomes as natural as breathing.

I was excited more than nervous, I wanted the chance to see how brave I was compared to the other guys. Or maybe more like see how nervous they were because I was already sure I wasn't going to be nervous.
The unknowns did cross my mind a few times...…..like how did I compare on the developmental scale to all the others ( I knew how I stacked up against my closest buds), how would my dick react...…..would it shrink, would it plump up, would it get hard...…..none of that was a problem as long as the same thing happened to others.

I bet we spent an hour discussing how long to let ourselves go from beating off and our first shower with other guys...…….nobody wants to beat off too soon before you get naked with the guys the first time and end up shriveled, but time it wrong and go to long and you might be fighting some wood seriously.

I was disappointed that not all guys ever got over it enough to shower even once with the rest of us.

It is a big deal, a big deal that everyone guy should face and conquer on their way to being a man.