Are Cops Expected To Be Homophobic

andigazed

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Many people assume that all White Cops are Racist! But do most people expect all Male Cops to be Homophobic? If so, do you guys here believe that homophobia is institutionalized in most if not all LAW ENFORCEMENT
AGENICIES?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I expect most of them to be exceptionally ignorant, and therefore probably exceptionally bigoted in a variety of ways. They also usually seem to be bullies and enjoy exerting their power in inappropriate or even overtly illegal ways. This mentality probably lends itself toward oppressing/harassing already oppressed minorities.

therunningman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
IMHO, in any human organization there is going to be a reflection of society - homophobia, sexism, etc. some organizations try hard to combat it, other's openly foster it for their own various reasons. Out here in the Bay Area and even other law enforcement agencies (like CHP) are pretty enlightened re: homophobia but I have a feeling there are still individuals who are homophobic no matter where you go. So I think in answering your question, I'd say it's not instituationalized in all law enforcement.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I know a number of gay police who work in Manhattan, but not Brooklyn, Bronx, or Queens. El Lay police tend to be homophobic, unless you're in West Hollywood, Westwood, Brentwood, Beverly Hills. Orange County cops, in general, are a viscious band of peace-keepers. But they also have a viscious crowd to deal with.

The bretheren who help themselves to serve in SLC and most other parts of the Land O' Zion, are paticularly nasty and are still into "gay baiting." A friend and his "new" friend were recently hauled off to jail for kissing -- just light kissing, no deep tonsil hockeying -- in what passes for a gay bar in that city. After 24-hours in jail they were released and no charges were filed.

It depends where you are in Nevada. There is some truth to the spoofing of Reno 911, although the majority of the city police are damn fine folk. The majority support gay rights and are gay "sensitive." Note, I wrote the "majority."

In Vegas, well . . . you're pretty much on your own. There are plenty of gay cops working in Vegas, Henderson, and unincorporated areas. But those police have to put up with too much shit from the general public 24/7 to remember to always be nice to gays and Lesbians.

San Francisco's finest tend to be very sensitive to gay issues (including sex in public during certain Castro-area celebrations). But not always.

San Diego's Finest -- a once proud and fabu police force -- has been through better times. It depends upon what part of the city you are in and which pricinct. San Diego has it's share of gay cops, but things seem to have become worse in recent years.

"And that's all I know about the South.":smile:

If you want to know about Spain and Argentina, PM me. It's a big ol' world out here.:biggrin1:

andigazed

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
IMHO, in any human organization there is going to be a reflection of society - homophobia, sexism, etc. some organizations try hard to combat it, other's openly foster it for their own various reasons. Out here in the Bay Area and even other law enforcement agencies (like CHP) are pretty enlightened re: homophobia but I have a feeling there are still individuals who are homophobic no matter where you go. So I think in answering your question, I'd say it's not instituationalized in all law enforcement.

Ideally, I would like to live in a community like the Bay Area so that I could share in your positive experience. I am still left to feel as if homophobia is deeply entrenched, if not officially and ardently encouraged amongst the majority of Law Enforcement agencies. I often wonder in my own state, why such premeire Law Enforcement Agencies, don't actively Recruit Gay Men/Women like they do Latino/Blacks/Women.

It's so commonplace to see advertisements trying to lure Blacks/Women in the door, but why don't you see RECRUITMENT DRIVES, posters, and commercials encouraging GAY MEN to become police officers? My experience tells me that cops are a macho brand of men too afraid to work with Gay Men as equals.

gwr1349

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been a Police Officer for 20+ years. At the beginning AIDS was the big scare as we had to protect ourselves against possible infection. At that time we as a nation knew nothing about the disease or its rate of infection so Yes we were homophobic. As time went on we had more information as to its spread and were not as worried about it. I know many Gay people and have found them to be just like any other person, with hopes and dreams for the future. I have come around like most people have and am no longer "afraid" if that is the right word here. I think the majority of Law Enforcement Officers are like I am but you don't hear about the good ones, you only hear about the few bad ones. They give every Law Enforcement Officer a bad name. I know some of them also. What is the cure for them, They need a good Blow Job. (Sorry, I just had to add that) You will never cure them even with all the training and information you can give them. Some will never change. We all will have to just deal with it.

One who has been there and knows the truth

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think if they are alone they are less likely to be homophobic. In front of their partner they may feel they need to portray a different image.

One time I was stopped on a shoulder of a highway with transmission problems (bucking) . A young officer asked where I was going. I lied because I was going to a gay club and did not feel it was any of his business. I told him I was going to a friends house in West Milford. I was thinking of New Milford. Which is not near where I was. I then had to explain where I was going and he said okay, we sad he had just gotten a report on a vehicle similar to mine and he left.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've been a Police Officer for 20+ years. At the beginning AIDS was the big scare as we had to protect ourselves against possible infection. At that time we as a nation knew nothing about the disease or its rate of infection so Yes we were homophobic. As time went on we had more information as to its spread and were not as worried about it. I know many Gay people and have found them to be just like any other person, with hopes and dreams for the future. I have come around like most people have and am no longer "afraid" if that is the right word here. I think the majority of Law Enforcement Officers are like I am but you don't hear about the good ones, you only hear about the few bad ones. They give every Law Enforcement Officer a bad name. I know some of them also. What is the cure for them, They need a good Blow Job. (Sorry, I just had to add that) You will never cure them even with all the training and information you can give them. Some will never change. We all will have to just deal with it.

Isn't the cop supposed to "serve me" ? Hehehe. :wink:

(Ewww, I know. "Bad. Go to Jail. Pass GO, but don't collect $200. Go to jail, Invisibleman.")

I am not rewarding any homophobic cop with a blowjob. Let them (the prejudiced ones) service themselves.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Cops get there and where they are because they have a need to order others around. Believe me I know.

In high school, one guy who tried to stuff me in a locker in gym became a stae police officer (he got a black eye from me for his trouble), and later an FBI agent. He was a bully.

Another ex PIG I worked with had a problem with black women and subsequently got fired for his annoying one person. Bumping into her for no reason and trying to ask if she was doing drugs.

I had a problem with a policeman who had a high tenor voice, so I affected a deep resonant baratone, which caused him more agitation (he tried to punch me), and remained polite and neutral and he got increasingly annoyed. He pulled me over for giving him the finger. It was late at night and he was flicking his high beams on and off and driving erraticly, so I lifted my middle digit in disrepect. I didn't know it was a cop.

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My dad was a police officer for about 10 years. I have never in my life heard him say anything about gay people. I really don't think he's homophobic.

andigazed

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I think if they are alone they are less likely to be homophobic. In front of their partner they may feel they need to portray a different image.

One time I was stopped on a shoulder of a highway with transmission problems (bucking) . A young officer asked where I was going. I lied because I was going to a gay club and did not feel it was any of his business. I told him I was going to a friends house in West Milford. I was thinking of New Milford. Which is not near where I was. I then had to explain where I was going and he said okay, we sad he had just gotten a report on a vehicle similar to mine and he left.

So you feel that he might have criminalized the act of going to a gay club?

andigazed

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

I'm impressed that so many people have positive stories about personal interactions with Law Enforcement. Have any Gay Men following this thread, ever applied to become a Police Officer and meet with Discrimination based upon their sexual orientation?