Are European Airfares High?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
With the price of fuel going up, and the US Airlines having trouble with the higher prices, are Airline fares in Europe very high due the fuel prices?

jexeter87

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
With the price of fuel going up, and the US Airlines having trouble with the higher prices, are Airline fares in Europe very high due the fuel prices?

Not entirely answering your question, but over here in the UK a gallon of petrol would cost you $9.54, at current exchange rates. And that's gone down a lot in the past few weeks, too. So it makes me laugh hearing how everyone in the US is so shocked with $4 a gallon.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
And it makes me laugh when those on the east side of the Atlantic forget that high taxes make lots of things seem shockingly expensive.

Not to mention the value of the dollar versus the value of the Euro, the difference in availability of mass transit, the difference in salaries and minimum wage.

Oh and there's also the fact of running off topic just to bitch about others' complaints.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Not entirely answering your question, but over here in the UK a gallon of petrol would cost you $9.54, at current exchange rates. And that's gone down a lot in the past few weeks, too. So it makes me laugh hearing how everyone in the US is so shocked with $4 a gallon.

You guys pay the same for crude as we do; it’s just that your government adds much higher taxes on every gallon that makes the price so high. Our government gets its money other ways so yes, we bitch when fuel goes up quickly since we already pay high taxes elsewhere.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
My US buddies pay three times as much as I do from Europe for international flights of pretty much the same distance.

The US operates a restricted air industry and we/you all as consumers pay the price. It is a common sticking point in talks regarding free trade.

iain_ware

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
We have two major cheap airlines from the UK, but damn the cost of Petrol for the car thats gone up so much and really heavily taxed and now the supermarkets have increased the cost of our food by around 20 per cent in a year!

jexeter87

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Not to mention the value of the dollar versus the value of the Euro, the difference in availability of mass transit, the difference in salaries and minimum wage.

Oh and there's also the fact of running off topic just to bitch about others' complaints.

Although the dollar has collapsed compared to the pound (we aren't on the euro, thank God), average income here in the UK is pretty much the same as in the US... I think that GDP per capita here has only just overtaken you (for the first time since the late 19th Century). Fuel costs represent such a massive proportion of people's incomes, and even though we do make shorter journeys than you lot do, since our country is so much smaller, the cost of public transport is ridiculous.