are fairy tales a crime against feminism?

i like the three little pigs. brains and hard work pay off.

Yes, build your home from brick and stone..........Not being biased, being a brickie and licensed builder..Brick homes will protect you from a wolfs bad breath.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
the princess and the pea.

he loves her, but will only marry her if she has the right parents.

she proves she's a better person by being a total wimp.

the princess and the pea.

he loves her, but will only marry her if she has the right parents.

she proves she's a better person by being a total wimp.

I thought it was cause she peed in her bed. :)

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Silly romantic fairytales come from the troubador school of romances, these, apparently, were the favoured reading of ladies of a certain ilk from the twelfth century. They gave rise to the courlty love ideal, which really comes from the islamic tradition.

Then you let the prissy meddling Victorians loose with them and here we are.

I think they are a disaster for men as well.

I remember the Danny Kaye movies slant on fairy tales. Ingenious.

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
feminists hate fairy tales too? sheesh

i don't find that too surprising that a feminist can get offended by fake stories made for little kids that are basically spongebob episodes with out the television

everyone knows its not real, even little kids don't take them seriously, and i dont think little boys and girls are consciously thinking about gender roles when they hear a story before bed

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
And children don't consciously think about gender roles when they watch their parents interact but it has a huge impact on them.

Or, to put it another way, you have no idea what you are blithering on about, you total twonk!

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And children don't consciously think about gender roles when they watch their parents interact but it has a huge impact on them.

Or, to put it another way, you have no idea what you are blithering on about, you total twonk!

true..

twonk? that's cute

D_Sam Rockswell

Experimental Member
Media
true..

twonk? that's cute

Naw whats cuter is the image of you reading a book. Its like hooked on phonics and lol cats mixed all into one. :D

Oh and ah i'm not like...saying your stupid or anything for making the comments you've made, don't really have to. I'm pretty sure every test you've taken does.

Last edited:

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Naw whats cuter is the image of you reading a book. Its like hooked on phonics and lol cats mixed all into one. :D

Oh and ah i'm not like...saying your stupid or anything for making the comments you've made, don't really have to. I'm pretty sure every test you've taken does.

actually i should be finishing 48 laws of power by this weekend

and i bet you're the smartest man on the large penis support group, congrats and sweet life, bro :cool:

D_Sam Rockswell

Experimental Member
Media
actually i should be finishing 48 laws of power by this weekend

and i bet you're the smartest man on the large penis support group, congrats and sweet life, bro :cool:

Smartest man on the large penis support group? Err nope not by a long shot lol. Hold on wait....your totting that book as...(sigh) have you ever heard of an encyclopaedia britannica? Hell have you ever read a psychology book? Hell have you read any of the book your reading right now?

Cause Law 7 deems i pwned you 12 times before you even type a word. lol

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Smartest man on the large penis support group? Err nope not by a long shot lol. Hold on wait....your totting that book as...(sigh) have you ever heard of an encyclopaedia britannica? Hell have you ever read a psychology book? Hell have you read any of the book your reading right now?

Cause Law 7 deems i pwned you 12 times before you even type a word. lol

no, i haven't read the encyclopaedia britannica, and i do have an interest in psychology, thought about minoring in it as a frosh, but i picked poli sci instead ... and yes i have read the book, that's why i said i am almost finished

and again, sweet life you have, sir :rolleyes:

D_Andy_Conda

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I guess the word fairy tale needs to be defined before you could argue the fact:

a : a story (as for children) involving fantastic forces and beings (as fairies, wizards, and goblins) —called also fairy story
b : a story in which improbable events lead to a happy ending

Fairy tale - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Before the definition of the genre of fantasy, many works that would now be classified as fantasy were termed "fairy tales", including Tolkien's The Hobbit, George Orwell's Animal Farm, and L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.[21]

Fairy tale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That said, there are many examples of fairy tales where women are not seen in such a negative light:

In Hansel and Gretel, it's Gretel who cleverly notices the witches trickery and pushes her into the oven, saving her and Hansel from death. Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz brings together the main characters and helps free them from their personal obstacles through kindness and understanding. Greta, the protagonist in The Snow Queen braves danger and risks death for the boy she loves even though all believe he's dead. A character in the story even states:
"I can give her no greater power than she has already," said the woman; "don't you see how strong that is?"

I'm not saying that every fairy tale is this way, and indeed many don't do feminism any favours but in just those three examples, it's a woman who was smart enough to see behind the lies, a woman who is kind enough to believe in others when no one else would, and a woman who is brave enough to fight for who she loved when everyone else had given up hope.

D_Sam Rockswell

Experimental Member
Media
dear boys,

shut up.

love from,
me xx

It would be a pleasure to shut thy trap for the awesome Detective Dolfette:biggrin1:

Seriously though, i think the majority of fairy tales have either a negative view of women or set them up for impossible roles and expectations. No one this planet is perfect. No one is or will be "a princess" or "a prince". Sure we can come close and sure we can be perfect for someone (and vice versa) but when it comes down to it the stories are unrealistic and unfair on both ends.

Cause there's no way i'll be wearing me some leggings any time soon. I just don't have the calves for it lol.