Are gay men more cultured?

Holistic_Harry

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think that it is an individual thing, but when you look at the world of art gay men are well represented from Michaelangelo to the present. But I have known gay guys who were uneducated and were more into football than fashion.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nah. We're just as likely to be boorish and uncultured as any straight man.
It's just that a lot of ordinary gay guys blend in with the rest of humanity while the more cultured ones stand out.

buzdovan345

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i dont think that its a matter of being gay that makes a man more "culturally aware/engaged", i think its more how in touch a man is with his feminine side. because a man can be in touch with his feminine side without have any desire to engage in sex with another man...

Media
I get really tired of the word "gay" being put in front of things like this.

I have known straight men, including family members that are cultured. Well traveled, well read and have been everywhere. It had nothing to do with being Gay.

I suppose it is easier to attach that word or lifestyle to it and I am probably wrong.

C'est la vie

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Absolutely not. They are all differently just like straight men.

No offence but these sort of generalisations tend to piss people off. If any sort of generalisation was offered about gay guys from a straight guy here I can imagine some of responses he would get.

Just saying :wink:

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Here is a simple topic for discussion:

Are gay men more interested in culture than straight men?

Also, why might that be?

Discuss.

Nope. There are a higher percentage of gays in the arts, but some of the most boorish men I have met have been gay.

m4mfun510

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As others have mentioned, gay men are not necessarily more cultured. There are many more straight men at the opera or at museums, etc. at any given time than there are gay men, IME. (But I'm making an assumption there on what is meant by "cultured".) Culture is not a sexually-determined trait.

As Cunning Stunt mentions, it's a generalization (like gays make better hair dressers/florists/designers, etc.). But many generalizations/stereotypes tend to have a grain of truth to them. Exploring how these stereotypes develop can be worthwhile, though.

Honestly, I've given this a little thought and come up with and shot down several theories as to where this may have originated. The only one I can think of is that in large urban areas, like New York or Washington or SF, gay men were often employed to act as "walkers" - men who would accompany women to social functions (theater, opera, etc.) when their husbands could not or did not want to. This preserved the woman's honor and allowed her to attend a public function. Generally, the orientation of the walker would have been known to the woman's group and, for quite some time, it was considered scandalous for a married woman to attend public functions alone.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's my observation that people in the arts, in a general sense, are more accepting of difference and gay men may gravitate there for safety and acceptance. Also, a few decades ago life for a gay man in the small town south could be a pretty grim prospect. Many came to Atlanta so it seems reasonable to conjecture that southern gays may have been more urban.
Dave

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't think this question is very well-phrased. I would say though that gay and bi guys (and women) are aware of how they are different than the majority and therefore are more conscious about gender issues. This causes many gay guys to explore themselves in a way that straight guys don't really have to. It's obvious that straight guys have it a lot easier in terms of being accepted by the dominant culture.

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
The cultured=gay stereotype is one that I find slightly annoying and borderline offensive. I'm a very cultured guy, in my opinion. I could give a tour of The Met blindfolded, I love to go to the theater, I dress well, and I prefer wine to beer. People frequently assume that I'm gay, and I'm certainly not.

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
Well, as Voltaire once said, "Les homosexuels sont plus culturés que les autres... et je veux te sucer la bite," which means , roughly, "Drop 'em!" Of course, he said this at a simulcast of the NY Philharmonic and NYC Ballet performance, and, as the audience ( men only) was gaping at the male dancers' bulges, a couple of the violinists, once they'd finished painting post-modern masterpieces, groped each other's asses. It got worse from there...

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Well, some of the guys at work seem to think that using a big word is gay. Like if you have any brains at all, that's suspect. You know the types. But not a general rule.

People who are educated are generally more open about everything. But I've met some stupid educated people, so there are exceptions.