Are Khaki Pants Dressy?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Principessa, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Was chatting with a male member here the other day and was astounded about how clueless he is about male fashion; and what constitutes casual vs. dressy for mens shoes and pants.

Maybe it's a regional difference, since I am on the east coast and he is on the west. When did khaki pants become dressy? I always thought khakis were casual nice, but not dressy. Therefore a lace up shoe, loafer, boat shoe, or sneaker could be worn with them depending on the occassion. If I saw a man wearing wingtips with khakis I'd think something was wrong with him. To me wingtips are a dress shoe.

• Are Khaki Pants Dressy?
    • What shoes do you wear with khaki pants, if you ever wear khaki pants?
    • What shoes do you wear with a suit?
    • What shoes would you wear with jeans for a casual date out? Say TGIF's and a movie.
    • Should your shoes match your suit or your socks?

2. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

any other questions? tie colors and seasons?

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

• Are Khaki Pants Dressy?From the traditional sense no.
    • What shoes do you wear with khaki pants, if you ever wear khaki pants?top siders or sneakers
    • What shoes do you wear with a suit?A nice Italian loafer with a leather sole and stacked wood heel.
    • What shoes would you wear with jeans for a casual date out? Say TGIF's and a movie.sneakers or top siders
    • Should your shoes match your suit or your socks?Your shoe should be the same color or darker than the hem of the trousers.
    [/QUOTE]

4. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Khaki: yes they are dressy for me.

I'm still not even sure what Wingtips are...but I rarely wear lace-up shoes unless I've got on my tux. I wear slip on loafers with my suit.

With jeans...I could wear tennis shoes, loafers, or flip flops.

My only sock rule is no white socks with black or brown shoes, or dark socks with tennis shoes. Aside from that, I really don't care.

5. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

It is actually possible to get brown or black leather shoes that are right in that middle cutting edge range of being both casual and dressy (can be worn with jeans or dress pants).

Is this peculiar to me? Take away the t-shirts and jeans and sweatshirts, and the bulk of my warbrobe can be worn simultaneously to the movies, an art museum, a five-star or 3-star restaurant.... I tend to feel somewhat uncomfortable "dressed up". So I tend to go for the Calvin Klein/Hugo Boss sporty casual look that is a multitasker.

You can always slip on a gold chain-link bracelet and Rolex watch to beef up any attire.

6. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

:eek:
    :biggrin1:
    It was probably a bit of a one sided chat?

7. sargon20

Gold Member

8. MagicJohnsonFan

MagicJohnsonFan New Member

Albums:
    The whole "casual vs. dressy" thing comes up often here in So Cal - usually in regard to what's appropriate at work. I work in a very conservative, professional business environment and you'd be surprised at what some people consider "business casual!"

In my opinion, for what it's worth, khakis would be appropriate for dress-down Friday at work. They are not dressy. They're dressier than jeans but more casual than slacks. I think the shoes should match the socks AND go with the suit.

I completely agree with you on the matter of shoes, too, njqt. If I saw a guy with wingtips and khakis I'd be looking behind him for his adult companion. You may have an advantage living where you do - people still appear to be willing to dress up there.

9. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    It doesn't shock me that very few men these days know how to keep a classic look when there are labels in popularity that condone "comfortable" as a way to dress. Thanks to the internet, there are more than enough people with the right info to lead men on the straight way to a respectable look.

10. canuck_pa

Gold Member

Are Khaki Pants Dressy?
    No. But can be worn for casual business.

What shoes do you wear with khaki pants, if you ever wear khaki pants?
    Casual shoes but always either leather or suede, loafers, desert boots, etc.

What shoes do you wear with a suit?
    Leather, many different styles work depending on your personal style. Sloan Rangers often wear brown suede with a navy suit. I usually wear black shoes with a navy or black suit. All leather should match, so the belt should match the shoes.

What shoes would you wear with jeans for a casual date out? Say TGIF's and a movie.
    Shit kickers or casual shoes. I seldom wear sneakers

Should your shoes match your suit or your socks?
    Usually both but depends on the look you're going for. They should all compliment each other.

And my glasses are chosen to compliment the clothes I'm wearing or the look I'm going for.

11. Principessa

Gold Member

yngjock20, I chose TGIF's because they are a national chain and many people are familiar with them. I almost said Olive Garden, but then I realized many consider that to be fine dining. :yuck:

12. jammin

jammin New Member

khaki's are definitely casual attire...

13. uncutblond34

uncutblond34 Member

Albums:
    • What shoes would you wear with jeans for a casual date out? Say TGIF's and a movie.
    [/quote]

Are khaki pants dressy ? No... they are "dressy casual". I wear mine without a tie, but sometimes with a blazer.

What shoes to wear with khakis ? I usually wear penny loafers, in brown or cordovan. While I wear loafers with jeans on occasion, most times I wear sneakers.

What shoes do you wear with a suit ? I always wear black. Sometimes a slip on, sometimes lace ups. Depends on the reason I'm in a suit. If it's business, lace ups. Personal, slip ons, OR wing tips. I never wear wing tips for business dress. If I'm in my tuxedo, I wear the traditional patent leather slip on opera pumps with the grosgrain ribbon on them ( I jokingly refer to them as my "Mary Janes" ) polished to a mirror - like shine.

For a casual date out ? Jeans and loafers.

Your shoes should match your clothing. Black suit/black shoes....khaki's and brown or cordovan..jeans and brown or cordovan, or sneakers. I worked with a "big band" for some time, and for summer afternoon or evening casual dances we wore white pants, white shirt,navy and maroon ties, navy double breasted blazers, navy socks, and navy and white slip on spectators ( two tone wingtips ) LOVE my spectators... still wear them on occasion with white pants and a blue and white bowling shirt...but while they are two toned, they ARE considered a "white shoe", and everyone knows that one never wears white between Labor Day and Memorial Day....just thought I'd throw my two cents in as well !:tongue:

#13 uncutblond34, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  14. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    • Are Khaki Pants Dressy? - I have never thought so
    • What shoes do you wear with khaki pants, if you ever wear khaki pants? - i wear anything from loafers, to lace ups to work boots
    • What shoes do you wear with a suit? - i wear loafers or lace ups as NueYorker said
    • What shoes would you wear with jeans for a casual date out? Say TGIF's and a movie. - Gucci loafers or shoes i would wear with a suit
    • Should your shoes match your suit or your socks? -shoes would match suit. socks would be black

15. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

• Absolutely not! These are strictly casual type of pant. No one with a well developed sense of style would even consider wearing a "suit of khaki".
    • You may wear any type of casual shoe such as loafers,top siders,sandals or sneakers.
    • Sorry exwhyzee those "loafers you picked could hardly be considered "dressy" enough for a suit. Nope never! Wingtips even a nicely polished penny loafer is better than a non dressy shoe like yours. Sorry.
    • Any shoe except a patent leather loafer would be acceptable.
    • They should unless ya'lls a barefeeted hillbilly!
    cigarbabe:saevil:

16. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

HA!
    INTACT 501's with my black shin length leather boots and a long sleeve shirt is FANCY for me.. Anything matches the jeans and boots. And a tie only if someone died. I park the Z and take the cover off the Lex and am good to go

No I am not straight, just missed out on a base pair sequence somewhere that gives that illusion....

17. heist

heist New Member

Albums:
    I would say khakis are flexible. You can either wear them dressier or not, depending on what else you're wearing. For example, my high school had an option for the graduation uniform that included khaki pants (others had black or navy dress pants), and the outfit was definitely neither "casual" nor "dressy casual."

I used to wear khakis all the time, but I stopped because I discovered the joys of jeans. And now, I'd only wear khakis to dressy functions. When it comes down to it, I don't think khakis are inherently dressy or not -- they are very neutral. Perhaps that's why people think they are less dressy than dark dress pants.

18. Principessa

Gold Member

19. surferboy

Gold Member

Albums:
    i work for walgreens, yah? and part of the uniform is for wear dressy pants. i wear khakis, as do a lot of other guys in the different stores. they seem for be fine with it

20. Principessa

Gold Member

Many retail stores will say dressy pants as a way of getting people to not wear jeans. Some people think a dark wash denim or black jeans are dressy. NOT! Jeans are not dressy.

Draft saved Draft deleted