are penises getting smaller?

contortionist

Sexy Member
Media
Over the past 30 or so years, people have been getting taller and generally more healthy. However, according to statistics the average length of the penis is getting smaller. It was always accepted at school that a 6'' ruler should completely cover your dick - AT LEAST. Today, however the average is supposed to be 5 to 5.5''. Now I know there is no way of substantiating any statistics and obviously the smaller guy is hardly going to brag about his 5 incher but there does seem to be a downward trend. Perhaps there's something in the water!

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Size was probably never really at 6 inches. It was just easier to say 6 than to go into 5.4999999 or 5.51233455565. That added to the inaccurate measuring which often went on and then got reported (quite similar to some of the reports which occur here at LPSG where a man claims 8 inches and then is revealed to be 7.30.

From my personal viewpoint--eyesight, hand measure and mouth measuring--the size has remained fairly steady. There are still some monsters to be worked on and a gazillion hors d'oeuvre sized weenies as well as the average area ones which seem to run in the area of 6 inches give or take a fractional +/-. I honestly do not believe they've shrunk.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
30 years ago people might have been a little more modest so any surveys were probably the result of self measurement and the guys rounded up - 6 inches sounds so much better than 5 and a half.

Cobalt Blue

Legendary Member
Media
The short answer is yes. The accepted true average has been downsized [this in itself does not mean that adult penes themselves have been shrinking...!] Recent studies have suggested that environmental factors have indeed caused the size of genitalia in male babies to shrink.

The trouble is that most of the actual surveys of penis size are unscientific and unreliable. The Kinsey survey relied on men to report their own numbers honestly and accurately—never a good idea. (Curiously, that survey found that gay men reported having longer penises than straight men—a finding never since replicated.) Since Kinsey's was the first and largest survey, the rounding-up to 6 inches has become the urban myth that has stuck.

The Journal of Urology puts the average penis size at 5.08 inches, and the International Journal of Impotence Research puts it at 5.35 inches.

There have been reports that genitalia in male babies are getting smaller due to environmental factors, such as [SIZE=-1]oestrogen contamination in water supplies; plastics manufacturing by-products; mothers who have given birth after years of taking the birth-control pill and so on. [/SIZE]

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Penises are probably getting bigger.

In this hypersexualized society the boys are probably pulling their pud constantly during their growing phase and are going to end up bigger than yesterday's average cock.

You're going to have more competition in the size category so get a personality :eek:)

freesnake54

Just Browsing
Media
A couple points:

Sizes measured by a doctor are not necessarily substantially more accurate than at-home measurements. Of course the at-home ones are going to over-estimate, but the doctor's office measurements are probably going to underestimate. For one thing a lot of them are of stretched soft penises, and if the doctor is measuring a hard dick, just how hard do you think you're going to get in a cold doctor's office with scrutiny on your member and no real reason to be hard?

There was a study on radiation treatment for cancer shrinking penises in the fall, and according to that study I think the average original length was much closer to 6 than 5.

Penises should be shrinking...after all it's only recently that we drink Mountain Dew. (kidding)

Mike0950

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I thought the only "REAL" impact on cock size is genetics.. I don't think estrogen changes cock size in transexuals taking hormones... does it? If it did, there would be a hormonal supplement for growing your cock... That just changes ball size (due to atrophy).

And pulling on it doesn't do much either, does it?? If it did, I haven't noticed it.

I always thought... If you're hung, there's a good chance your daddy's hung.. that's about it

Am I wrong here?

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
By that logic there should also be supplements to grow taller, make your balls drop further and give you a deeper voice.

Hormones are part of the finally balanced chemical machine that is your body. They play a major part, but other parts of your physiology keep things in check.

The hormones are most important during the growing phases (from memory), before you settle into a size at the end of puberty (in which case, you stop responding to said hormones for growth).

I thought the only "REAL" impact on cock size is genetics.. I don't think estrogen changes cock size in transexuals taking hormones... does it? If it did, there would be a hormonal supplement for growing your cock... That just changes ball size (due to atrophy).

And pulling on it doesn't do much either, does it?? If it did, I haven't noticed it.

I always thought... If you're hung, there's a good chance your daddy's hung.. that's about it

Am I wrong here?

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I believe the average has dropped due to the mixing of all races and ethnic groups that has occured in our modern society. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I think that's what has happened.

If there really is something in the water, maybe I should buy bottled water or call a well driller. I don't need any shrinkage for sure!:tongue:

dek158

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Are these world-wide statistics or are they country level (assuming we are talking about the US)?. If you are talking about the U.S, you forget to take into consideration all of the immigrants and foreigners that travel here and become a part of the surveys, etc. Their diet is different. Diet has been scientifically proven to affect size.

B_andyo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
so in 10 generations we are going to have 3 inch penises? lol! funny..
btw average here in lpsg is 6.9-7.4 inches!

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Are these world-wide statistics or are they country level (assuming we are talking about the US)?. If you are talking about the U.S, you forget to take into consideration all of the immigrants and foreigners that travel here and become a part of the surveys, etc. Their diet is different. Diet has been scientifically proven to affect size.

I won't argue that. I am just saying the mixing of all people that has occured since the industrial revolution has skewed the figures. I have even read some factual studies that showed a decrease in size among some ethnic groups as a result of no longer being racially pure. I would post a link, but I don't even remember where I read this study. If I can find it again I will post it. I have read so much on this subject that it all runs together now. Again, this isn't about racism, I am just expressing my views on the subject. I know the U.S. is a country of immigrants. My ancestors immigrated here from Europe.