Are Push-ups Effective For Gaining Muscle or Muscle Endurance

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by dingdong, Jan 7, 2009.

1. dingdong

dingdong Member

I know that weights are the way to go, to gain muscle mass. But, by doing pushups alongside weights, are the pushups also helping to gain muscle mass or do they simply make the pectorals "stronger"/have more stamina? :confused:

2. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    well you will get some definition from them and gain some strength...but I'd recommend using weights if you want to build. Push ups are a good pump before hitting the beach/bar...but wont give you huge growth... Lots of info on working out on bodybuilding.com...just read forums and they also have detailed directions how to do certain exercises. :) Hope this helps..

3. D_Tintagel_Demondong

They are great if you are just starting out. If you can easily do more than 10 (and I hope you can), then you need to start moving up to bench presses--at a gym with barbells. The gym is for safety (it's a dangerous exercise), and barbells for better resistance (ie. no press machines).

If you can't afford a gym then you can try usind dumbells, not barbells, on a bench at home, but this isn't as effective.

4. dingdong

dingdong Member

thanks for the info! :)

5. Rocky14441

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Do incline pushups, feet up on a chair. Do them really slow, pausing for a couple of seconds at the top and bottom. This will tone and also build. Feel the burn!

Draft saved Draft deleted