Are relationships overrated??

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Asking whether relationships are overrated is like asking whether lobster is overrated. Some like it, some could take it or leave it. And some are allergic. Regardless of whether it's steamed, baked, or Newburg - or even just tail - it isn't for everyone.

tiggerpoo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've had fantastic relationships. My wife of 30 years was my hero, my friend and my lover. Unfortunately she has passed on now. My current relationship, of four years, with a girl of 25 is simple the best I've ever had. Man, life is great. Yippeeeeee.

Media
I've had fantastic relationships. My wife of 30 years was my hero, my friend and my lover. Unfortunately she has passed on now. My current relationship, of four years, with a girl of 25 is simple the best I've ever had. Man, life is great. Yippeeeeee.
LOVE your screenname tiggerpoo :biggrin1:

Sorry to hear about your wife. :(
But happy to know that you found someone else. U know that ain't always easy.

AND mr. hardcock i'll be your stacy anytime!!! :wink:

D_Dick_Dock_Doe

Account Disabled
Media
As a single dude who enjoys being single, I have to say that relationships are simply not for everyone. It really depends on what a person needs/wants at any given time in her/his life. At this point in my life, I am not looking for a relationship, nor do I want one any time soon. We all know relationships take a lot of work (and I don't mean that in the "ugh, groan" sense), and I think it's important to know who YOU are and what you are WILLING to give and not give in a relationship. So many people like the IDEA of being in a relationship - that is, they romanticize (even fetishize) the idea of relationships - that when it comes to actually being in a real relationship with real feelings in the real world, some people are just not cut out for it.

I have been in relationships before, and I can say with all certainty that I enjoy being single a LOT more than I enjoy relationships. I do take offense to those who are in relationships that think because they are in a fantastic relationship, they are somehow better than those who aren't, and that single people are to be pitied because they are obviously missing something they deem "necessary" and "important." The fact is that some people choose to be single...and there is nothing wrong with this. Different strokes for different folks.

Am I closed to having a relationship? No. But it's not my goal, nor is it something that pains me. If it happens, it happens. If not, hey - I'm having a good time!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was having a coversation with a friend over the weekend about how we as human beings strive to obtain a serious relationship and then eventually find out that it's not all it's cracked up to be.
Speak for yourself.

Have any of you felt this type of disappointment? And i'm not referring to your partner as the one to blame for the disappointment but more yourself! Have any of you felt that it wasn't what you were seeking afterall and preferred to be alone??
I hint that would be my case. :frown1:
I have had good and bad relationships and not felt what you describe. The only time I ever felt disappointment at having attained what I thought I wanted was in a one night stand.

I like dolfette's statement, except cake pretty much sucks without icing. :tongue:
I agree.

]I think that relationships are only overrated to and for those who have not found success in any of them.[/B] My serious relationships HAVE been all they are cracked up to me-- me and my S/O made them that way. My current one is the most amazing connection I have ever felt with another person, period. I couldn't possibly rate it high enough.

Remember, "The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying relationships is you."
BINGO!

No. If you feel this way then it is not the relationship for you. Do that person a favor and move on.
Agreed. :yup:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that relationships are only overrated to and for those who have not found success in any of them. My serious relationships HAVE been all they are cracked up to me-- me and my S/O made them that way. My current one is the most amazing connection I have ever felt with another person, period. I couldn't possibly rate it high enough.

Remember, "The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying relationships is you."

Yeah, I am sure. There is some truth to that. My relationships were good until they weren't good for those involved. And dissatisfaction and disappointment were mine. No matter what feelings you feel...they are yours not anyone else's.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
I am not sure if they are overated, there is always good times and bad times in any relationships, they need to be worked on by both parties if its worth continuing. I feel the issue these days is the grass is always greener in the other field. also so many temptations, internet, mobiles etc that does have an effect on relationships.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It depends on what expectations you have going into a relationship. They are overrated if you believe that finding your soul mate will make every day you live afterwards heaven on earth. In that regard I think it is an over romanticized ideal but on the other hand I do believe that to love someone and have that love returned is one of the greatest things on earth.

On balance, I think that you tend to eat healthier, experience more joy in life and enjoy better mental health if you have a compatible mate - and care for someone other than yourself.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was in a wonderful relationship when I was much younger and I was devastated when he died. I only learned after he was gone that I wanted that relationship to help me define myself to know who I was and also somehow I thought I needed his protection. I lived alone for a long time during which time I learned who I was by myself and how to stand on my own feet and make decisions and had to protect myself (sometimes from myself) But I digress... things worked out funny for me once I did not need someone to help me feel whole and make things better; I was able to find my soulmate and forge a life with a partner instead of a mentor. But a good relationship like anything else in life takes work and patience and compromise sometimes, but it's worth it really. We fight our whole life trying to stay young and I only figured out recently what a privilege it is too grow old with someone.

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
"I do take offense to those who are in relationships that think because they are in a fantastic relationship, they are somehow better than those who aren't, and that single people are to be pitied because they are obviously missing something they deem "necessary" and "important." The fact is that some people choose to be single...and there is nothing wrong with this. Different strokes for different folks.

Am I closed to having a relationship? No. But it's not my goal, nor is it something that pains me. If it happens, it happens. If not, hey - I'm having a good time! "

There are advantages to being single sometimes (not having to answer for anything to anybody - matter of fact it is a prerequisite even in my relationship now - I need to have "my" time to identify as myself). There are advantages of being in GOOD relationships sometimes too.

I would never judge somebody that is single as missing out on something, nor would I judge someone in a relationship as missing out on something.

Pros and cons to both.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Stephenmass I agree with your point 100%! When I was single people thought there was something wrong with me because I was not in a relationship, once I explained that I was picky and would rather be alone than in the wrong relationship to avoid being alone it generally nipped that conversation in the bud.
BTW...great signature!

D_Dick_Dock_Doe

Account Disabled
Media
Stephenmass I agree with your point 100%! When I was single people thought there was something wrong with me because I was not in a relationship, once I explained that I was picky and would rather be alone than in the wrong relationship to avoid being alone it generally nipped that conversation in the bud.
BTW...great signature!

Actually, stephenmass was quoting my previous post. The first two paragraphs are from my post.

Just sayin'... :biggrin1:

D

deleted356736

my view on relationships...

first you should learn to be happy alone. to love your own company and to love yourself.
when you are happy alone then you will only seek the company of those who increase your happiness.
and you will stay because the relationship is good and not because you fear to be alone once more.

a good relationship is the icing on the cake of life.

This is good advice.

My experience is that I had a few relationships that weren't complete, and then I met someone very, very special. I think in the meantime I had changed, I felt comfortable enough to open myself up to someone else, and that made a big difference. In any case, a GOOD relationship IS the icing on the cake of life.