Are short nylon shorts out?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Packdude, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Packdude

Packdude New Member

I bought some of those short Soffe nylon shorts a year or two ago. Mostly because that's what I was used to wearing for PE, physical training, etc. back around 1990. I like them for running, biking, summer paddling in the kayak, etc.

It seems that all the shorts for sale in the stores the last few years are almost knee length, and made with super-heavy material. Why wear such heavy big shorts when you're doing something active -- might as well wear full length pants, right?

I've also heard that the short shorts may lead people to think you're homo -- is that kind of the going opinion these days? I was bike riding in those shorts last summer, and a car full of kids drove by and they were all staring at me and had big smiles. Not sure what the heck was going on there but kind of creeped me out.

Maybe I need to ditch them short shorts?

2. B_boynextdoorkpt

B_boynextdoorkpt New Member

3. slowbanter

slowbanter New Member

yes these days even totally straight blokes who are not fat, ugly slobs, run the risk of being mistaken for gay. The dumpy fashion trend reinforces the "i look like crap, therefore everybody KNOWS I'm straight" concept. Never mind that these blokes still wear those short girly socks.

4. Packdude

Packdude New Member

Thanks slowbanter, that makes sense now. Yeah, I guess if you look too good or try to style too much then you are probably metrosexual like on that one South Park episode. I do not understand the freaking baggy black pants with metal chains, mega-tall baseball caps cocked to one side, etc. Better stay out of the mall!

5. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    They have been out for...about...15 years...for everyone

6. HaagenDazs

HaagenDazs New Member

LONG out.

7. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Most gym shorts today have inseams from 6" to 10". I like Champion mesh and Nike dazzle shorts the best. The material is very lightweight and feels great.

8. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

fashion as I know it is dead... sadly!

9. pronatalist

pronatalist Active Member

Socks aren't supposed to be short?

I thought the reason for "short" socks, was that the longer socks, when the elastic wears out, are just going to annoyingly droop and fall down my leg anyway, so why not eliminate that part of the sock?

10. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Remember the golden rule -

Spandex is a privilege, not a right!

11. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Another thought about the short length shorts. If you're a serious runner, you'll see guys wearing them at triathalons and 10Ks. They won't be the Dolfin shorts from the '80s, but the more modern version made from microfiber described as "dry" due to their moisture wicking properties. A dedicated, fit athlete can wear anything and look good, but average guys are better served to dress like everyone else.

12. rlit195908

rlit195908 New Member

I am 49 and i like the short shorts, i think the same thing when wearing knee length shorts might as well wear long pants,

13. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

Those shorts are definitely out of style.

14. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

Wear what you like and don't worry what others think.

15. e1ectricfee1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    What a concept!

Go with this. :D

16. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

Thanks for the support, raien.

Sometimes I think they're going to take away my Gay Card because I've always thought the fashion scene was idiotic. Pick up any mag...gay, straight or otherwise...and check out the clothes. Even if you should be lucky enough to find one shirt that doesn't look like a bulimic Smurf attended a pizza party and barfed all over it, it'll still cost $350. For a fucking SHIRT?

And how much do those countless twink clones in that "Hollister" crap get paid for walking around with billboards on instead of clothing? It's like all that Marithe and Francois Girbaud shit everyone HAD to have some years back.

Okay...off my soapbox and back to the Grumpy Old Men's home for me!

17. Hellboy0

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL!!! Absolutely.

However, folks, the tights are coming back in, thank god. I'm cool with getting rid of the short shorts, but with the upsurge in compression garments, there are some great running and training gear. And if you got the bod, damn they look nice! I get NO complaints and almost always get interested looks from the guys and gals.

BTW, I fucking HATE the long shorts that the guys are wearing, especially with the ones that drop below the knee. I remember my mom wearing crap like that in the 60's and 70's... and guys look like shit in them. With the exception of the boardshort (which are hot...mostly cuz the guys' equipment swings nicely in them and gets seen by all), those long girly shorts should be banned in all civilized countries.

18. B_OtterJoq

B_OtterJoq New Member

^True dat. If you got it, work with it. If you don't got it, get it. I wouldn't have dared wear ANYTHING form-fitting until I started working out. Funny how suddenly every thing in my drawers and closets has "slimmed down" right along with me!:wink:

19. Hellboy0

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL!!! Definitely, Otter. My partner has been getting a bit annoyed that my clothes keep getting closer 'to the bone' and lower on the hips as I get back to my fighting weight. I think he means it all tongue in cheek... just the result I was looking for.

20. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    My mid-summer uniform from about 1985-1993 was short-short cut-offs with the front pockets hanging down (occasionally with my dick) and knee-breaking tall lace-up steel-toed Doc Marten boots. My tank was always tucked into the back.

It was a great look for me because I have always had great legs. But every great look has its day, and that one's passed.

Ignore fashion at your own peril.

Draft saved Draft deleted