Are size and style/role related?

View_From_Below: There was a posting some time ago from a member about how he personally enjoyed bottoming, but very often found a strong expectation from his partner that the forum member, at his large size, would naturally want to top -- and whether he wanted to or not at his size he should top (the idea being that it was a "waste" of a lot of dick if he didn't).

It made me think about the relationship between

-- personal inclination,
--size of endowment,
--and social expectations.

How do these three interact with regard to sex style or role?

The question is probably easier to look at in the gay context, though conceptually it should apply to behavior in straight relationships as well.

In general, is role preference independent of size, or is size a determinant of role preference?

Do the same proportion of hung men and unhung men prefer topping? Likewise with bottoming?

If you are a well-hung bottom, are you unusual? If you're an unhung top, are you really unusual?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
OMG - Flashback!

I'm in Anthropology class again!  Where's my Margaret Mead cheat sheet?

Pecker

(I told everybody I had a summer job as a diamond cutter.  I mowed the grass at Yankee Stadium.)

View_From_Below: So, see if you can find your class notes, Pecker, and let us know the answers... ;)

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I might be completely 'off base' with this, but the following is what I have wondered for years:

Since a hung young man attracts older guys (especially if he's attractive in other ways, as well) he might become a 'bottom' quite early in life and 'stay the course', after the experience. I think it is accepted that guys who enjoy being tops also enjoy the activity with a hung bottom. There's just something 'bout pumping a guy with a big dick that is missing if the dude is on the small side.

Any responses pro or con?

randy58: I'm always expected to top, but the funny thing is I'm a better bottom and enjoy it more. I always thought people were supposed to flap their arms if they want to take, but as soon as I undress legs fly into the air. :D

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't see a correlation. I'm a top, and I've been with partners more and less well-hung than I. My current bf is endowed larger, but I can't see that as the reason he prefers bottoming. He has been the top with other guys, but it's not his preferred rôle.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=Pecker link=board=meetgreet;num=1063336198;start=0#1 date=09/11/03 at 20:07:04]OMG - Flashback!

I'm in Anthropology class again! ?Where's my Margaret Mead cheat sheet?[/quote]
Oh, you left it in a hotel room in Mulifanua. You know, the summer you got pubes? LOL

While we're in Anthro 101, have you ever seen bonobos? They do just about anything sexual at the first sign of conflict, even things most humans don't think of!

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
It seems that position's related to social expectations; in a lot of societies, the only men who bottom live as women. (Coming from one of those societies, I should know.)

In other societies, it's stratified by class or age, the younger or inferior partner as the bottom. (Ancient Greece was like this, only the older man, or erastos, would insert it between the thighs of the younger man, or ephebe.) A case of class-stratified homosexuality would be Latin America; one has to suck or be fucked to be called maricon. Persians combined both rules for age and class; a boy slave would bottom or fellate his master, until his circumcision.

Non-penetrative sex (docking, mutual masturbation, penis-fencing, the "Hawaiian muscle fuck") are, of course, never stratified. Docking might be gender-stratified in some societies, but other such stratification

Stratification has a whole separate issue of positions for lesbians, but not as much, simply because a woman can't penetrate in as many ways as a man can.